Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is people's problem with Sherwood?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ok, I don't know as much about Brighton's budget as you do, my understanding is that the club has a debt of £5m - £8m season on season. Obviously this is going to limit you guys on transfer funds but how does that stack up in terms of budget on players wages against other championship teams?

Also, I know parachute payments are a major disadvantage, but I don't believe Burnley, Leicester or Derby had the parachute payments this season (I may be wrong so if so I stand corrected) or Cardiff last year.

Unlike the Premiership, the Championship is more then just about revenue, if that were the case then QPR would have strolled this season, but investment in 'quality' players with PL experience didn't really do them that much good, did it? A good forward thinking Championship team will pick up bargains and astute buys and look to promote a good core youth set up. Timmy boy knows how to work with youth players and wil get you a few decent bargains on the loan market.

The Accounts for 2012-13 show our wage bill was about seventh. Only Leicester and the parachute clubs had bigger wage bills. On par with Forest. Managers have got nothing much to moan about ?

Wages.JPG

PL experienced players are on above £26K a week and we do not pay that much. So it is only the PL failed youngsters on £10K a week that is within our budget.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Revenue streams are a bit more tricky. Revenue.JPG

The problem with Sherwood is a markedly different style at Spurs. We play possession, zonal and selective pressing, deep defence and not a high line.

With a full team we could play a higher line, increased man-to-man might work, deep defence worked well sometimes under Poyet. Although our basic shape was meant to be 4-3-3, I think we got better results with a 4-4-2.

I think the fans want a different system? Myself, I would like a stronger spine to the side, if possible. Injuries mucked up the side and we never got a side out without too many injuries.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd quite like him, he would be a breath of fresh air but as with others would have reservations regarding expectation levels on budget. It would seem he has permier league suitors in any case.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
He has a great win percentage in his 5 month tenure, nearly 60%.

Yes he is outspoken but not not unreasonably so. He expressed frustration about the situation he was working under which is understandable. He was a dead man walking. He seemed to get the Adebayor playing well.

Can't see any huge reason against him. He started his time as Spurs manager by saying he wanted to get back to playing exciting attacking football, exactly what people have been calling for.

Why not quote he had the biggest losing percentage of any recent manager, including getting spanked in all the big games against teams above in the table AND local rivals, West Ham & Arsenal twice

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why not quote he had the biggest losing percentage of any recent manager, including getting spanked in all the big games against teams above in the table AND local rivals, West Ham & Arsenal twice

That 60% is EPL games only too - ALL games it's 50%.
And it's a small sample.

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
He played a lot of 4-4-2 especially the last few games. I won't deny he is a manager in development, but he is learning.

You also need to distance the stupid comments form Spurs fans who slag him off. Since we got into the Champions League that one time and had Bale, we have unfortunately gained that element of fans that jumped on the bandwagon and expect us to achieve top 4 every season. Hopefully they will see the shiny new stadia West Ham nicked off the tax payer and f*** off and support them instead. Most Spurs fans who watch them week in week out for years will see Sherwood as someone who brought back entertaining football after the AVB era (it was very very boring times) and did a sound job but was not ready to do it full time without going out and cutting his teeth elsewhere.

Well said and spot on. That hatred comes from bandwagon jumping weird Avb fan boys who we're so devestated the bloke was sacked that they looked for someone to blame and that was Sherwood

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a Spurs fan who lives in Brighton and goes to the odd game at BHAFC, I think Sherwood would make an excellent choice as the Seagulls next manager. I will give a few reasons why but first I will address some of his shortcomings that have been highlighted both on this forum and on Spurs forums.

Pre / Post match interviews - At best you can view him as a salt of the earth cockney lad but the reality is he has at times been too cocky, gobbed off about individual players (which a manager should never do) and likes to stir the pot. But bear in mind he has been put in the awkward position of THFC and Levy saying that he won't be manager by the end of the season weeks before the campaign finished so much is naive rhetoric is both targeted at the position the club put him in and the frustration of a few Spurs players who were not pulling their weight.

Tactical set up of teams - Sherwood certainly made mistakes in several of our matches (Liverpool, Man City) where he didn't employ a holding midfielder, Hull where, despite us making and average display he failed to make any substitutions, West Ham playing a 4-4-2 again with no holding player.To balance that out,that although he screwed up the tactics V Hull ( 0 - 0) and West Ham, Spurs are a mile behind the Bin Dippers in Shitty (along with the top 4 PL finishers, and a weaker first 11 then Everton who totally deserved to finish above Spurs) so his poor tactical naivety in setting up his teams in reality only cost Spurs 3 - 5 points last year.

I think however it is worth highlighting that on many occasions this season, when Spurs under Sherwood have had an average or poor first half, come the second half the team have completely changed and gone on to win many matches, a good sign of a good dressing room manager

Why didn't Spurs keep hold of him? - He was always on a hiding to nothing and Levy clearly saw him as a stop gap until the end of the season where he could have a pop in recruiting a Frank De Boar, Louis Van Gaal (chance missed :( ) or the Poccehtino bloke from Southampton. Sherwood would have had to finish top 4 to have any chance of keeping the Spurs job, which was near impossible by the time he became THFC Head Coach. Most Spurs fans would probably say he did a reasonable job (apart from the delusional ****'s and yes we have a few) who kinda think that selling a world class player and buying 7 players with no Prem League experience means you gonna land at last top 4, even challenge for the title. Realistically, 5th - 7th is where Spurs were going to finish.

Reasons why I think he would be great at Brighton and Hove Albion FC, the 2nd greatest team in the world and based in the greatest place in the World.

Youth - At Spurs alongside Chris Ramsey, Sherwood has developed one of the strongest youth set up's in this country (behind Southampton, Everton and arguably Man Utd) Spurs put a lot of weight in bringing youth players through and have potential to have a load come up through tier ranks. Barkley and Stones at Everton, Shaw at Southampton and Wilson at Man Utd are better players then our youth set up but the likes of Rose, Townsend, Harry Kane, Livermore, Bentaleb, Carroll, Pritchard (selected in top 3 under 21 players in the Championship despite playing a tier below playing for Swindon on loan compared to the blonde head kid at Derby who won it and the Leicester CB), Fredericks, Veljokic, Ceballos, Harry Winks, Coulthirst to name a few. All these players are highly thought of and will either have or will break in or will get playing time at other PL league or top Championship teams. Please note, I DID NOT INCLUDE OBIKA IN THAT LIST!!

Most of these players were either loaned out or broke through to the Spurs first team squad in season 2013-14, but to put it in perspective how good they are, here is the league table finish from season 2012-13 of the Prem League U21s

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/U-21_Premier_League_2012-13.html

Compare the points Spurs gained and the goals scored to eventual winners (due to stupid play off/final format) to Man Utd. They also beat Barcelona U21s 4-0, in Barcelona.

Now, I am not saying "Look at Timmy, he must be a good manager because he's proved it at under 21 football", but bear in mind that like what Spurs have done, Brighton are investing heavily in a more then decent training complex and with the FFP rules and Brighton's annual losses, the future of BHAFC must be with the youth set up. So players like that Solly kid from Lewes (he looks quality) are the way forward. Sherwood would be itching to work and develop him.

Since I mentioned the FFP rules, this brings me on to the next reason why Sherwood would be a good fit for the Seagulls. As he already has good links with one of the best football academies in England, the opportunity to gain players on loan from Spurs or pick up the odd bargain in the transfer market is a real plus point. If you could get the likes of Carroll, Pritchard, Fredericks, Fryers etc on loan, you have the core of a championship winning team at zero transfer costs. The loan market is essential for teams struggling against FFP rules and to highlight this, do you think Everton would have finished 5th without loaning in Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu? Don't take my word for it, ask an Evertonian.

I as a Spurs fan think that Sherwood was too inexperienced to cut it at Tottenham and was placed in a near impossible position, but given the chance to prove himself at a decent team with realistic expectations, he will strive to make a very good manager.

Add Chris Ramsey to the equation, a guy that many Spurs fans who have and inside knowledge of the club rate highly as a very clever, tactical coach along with the relationship Sherwood probably has established with Paul Barber and you got yourselves a real tangible and realistic opportunity and growth potential to establish Brighton as a solid, mid table Prem club in the mould of Swansea or Southampton.

Well that makes me feel a little better about Sherwood.

But I still have reservations that (a) he's a tool, and (b) he'll be off like a shot ( if we have a good start ) when the Premier League sackings start in October.

Also, not sure we want someone who isn't the finished article and still a novice.

We need someone who'll hit the ground running, and grab a top 2 finish in the coming season.

Would definately prefer Rangnick.

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Who ever they give the job to please get on with it as we can have a holiday and start the season with a settled team. But what a great time for a new manager fantastic new training ground. I am already looking forward to the new season.bring it on.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As a Spurs fan who lives in Brighton and goes to the odd game at BHAFC, I think Sherwood would make an excellent choice as the Seagulls next manager. I will give a few reasons why but first I will address some of his shortcomings that have been highlighted both on this forum and on Spurs forums.

Pre / Post match interviews - At best you can view him as a salt of the earth cockney lad but the reality is he has at times been too cocky, gobbed off about individual players (which a manager should never do) and likes to stir the pot. But bear in mind he has been put in the awkward position of THFC and Levy saying that he won't be manager by the end of the season weeks before the campaign finished so much is naive rhetoric is both targeted at the position the club put him in and the frustration of a few Spurs players who were not pulling their weight.

Tactical set up of teams - Sherwood certainly made mistakes in several of our matches (Liverpool, Man City) where he didn't employ a holding midfielder, Hull where, despite us making and average display he failed to make any substitutions, West Ham playing a 4-4-2 again with no holding player.To balance that out,that although he screwed up the tactics V Hull ( 0 - 0) and West Ham, Spurs are a mile behind the Bin Dippers in Shitty (along with the top 4 PL finishers, and a weaker first 11 then Everton who totally deserved to finish above Spurs) so his poor tactical naivety in setting up his teams in reality only cost Spurs 3 - 5 points last year.

I think however it is worth highlighting that on many occasions this season, when Spurs under Sherwood have had an average or poor first half, come the second half the team have completely changed and gone on to win many matches, a good sign of a good dressing room manager

Why didn't Spurs keep hold of him? - He was always on a hiding to nothing and Levy clearly saw him as a stop gap until the end of the season where he could have a pop in recruiting a Frank De Boar, Louis Van Gaal (chance missed :( ) or the Poccehtino bloke from Southampton. Sherwood would have had to finish top 4 to have any chance of keeping the Spurs job, which was near impossible by the time he became THFC Head Coach. Most Spurs fans would probably say he did a reasonable job (apart from the delusional ****'s and yes we have a few) who kinda think that selling a world class player and buying 7 players with no Prem League experience means you gonna land at last top 4, even challenge for the title. Realistically, 5th - 7th is where Spurs were going to finish.

Reasons why I think he would be great at Brighton and Hove Albion FC, the 2nd greatest team in the world and based in the greatest place in the World.

Youth - At Spurs alongside Chris Ramsey, Sherwood has developed one of the strongest youth set up's in this country (behind Southampton, Everton and arguably Man Utd) Spurs put a lot of weight in bringing youth players through and have potential to have a load come up through tier ranks. Barkley and Stones at Everton, Shaw at Southampton and Wilson at Man Utd are better players then our youth set up but the likes of Rose, Townsend, Harry Kane, Livermore, Bentaleb, Carroll, Pritchard (selected in top 3 under 21 players in the Championship despite playing a tier below playing for Swindon on loan compared to the blonde head kid at Derby who won it and the Leicester CB), Fredericks, Veljokic, Ceballos, Harry Winks, Coulthirst to name a few. All these players are highly thought of and will either have or will break in or will get playing time at other PL league or top Championship teams. Please note, I DID NOT INCLUDE OBIKA IN THAT LIST!!

Most of these players were either loaned out or broke through to the Spurs first team squad in season 2013-14, but to put it in perspective how good they are, here is the league table finish from season 2012-13 of the Prem League U21s

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/U-21_Premier_League_2012-13.html

Compare the points Spurs gained and the goals scored to eventual winners (due to stupid play off/final format) to Man Utd. They also beat Barcelona U21s 4-0, in Barcelona.

Now, I am not saying "Look at Timmy, he must be a good manager because he's proved it at under 21 football", but bear in mind that like what Spurs have done, Brighton are investing heavily in a more then decent training complex and with the FFP rules and Brighton's annual losses, the future of BHAFC must be with the youth set up. So players like that Solly kid from Lewes (he looks quality) are the way forward. Sherwood would be itching to work and develop him.

Since I mentioned the FFP rules, this brings me on to the next reason why Sherwood would be a good fit for the Seagulls. As he already has good links with one of the best football academies in England, the opportunity to gain players on loan from Spurs or pick up the odd bargain in the transfer market is a real plus point. If you could get the likes of Carroll, Pritchard, Fredericks, Fryers etc on loan, you have the core of a championship winning team at zero transfer costs. The loan market is essential for teams struggling against FFP rules and to highlight this, do you think Everton would have finished 5th without loaning in Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu? Don't take my word for it, ask an Evertonian.

I as a Spurs fan think that Sherwood was too inexperienced to cut it at Tottenham and was placed in a near impossible position, but given the chance to prove himself at a decent team with realistic expectations, he will strive to make a very good manager.

Add Chris Ramsey to the equation, a guy that many Spurs fans who have and inside knowledge of the club rate highly as a very clever, tactical coach along with the relationship Sherwood probably has established with Paul Barber and you got yourselves a real tangible and realistic opportunity and growth potential to establish Brighton as a solid, mid table Prem club in the mould of Swansea or Southampton.

I must admit that I wasn't keen on Sherwood primarily because I'd read in a number of places that his tactical nous was poor. The above piece is however quite persuasive.

TtY

May 13, 2014
Revenue streams are a bit more tricky. View attachment 53741

The problem with Sherwood is a markedly different style at Spurs. We play possession, zonal and selective pressing, deep defence and not a high line.

With a full team we could play a higher line, increased man-to-man might work, deep defence worked well sometimes under Poyet. Although our basic shape was meant to be 4-3-3, I think we got better results with a 4-4-2.

I think the fans want a different system? Myself, I would like a stronger spine to the side, if possible. Injuries mucked up the side and we never got a side out without too many injuries.

Interesting to see that other than Leeds, Brighton and Hove have the highest match day and commercial revenues. Amazing when you consider that they nearly dropped out of the league and out of business without a home a few years ago.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
no great problem would support if he came
but if there is a scale with pelligrini at one end and decanio at the other
Sherwood is at the more troubling end for me
there is passion and there are toddlers who cannot believe the world is not made for them

TtY

May 13, 2014
Revenue streams are a bit more tricky. View attachment 53741

I am personally not really a true believer in the high line, AVB's blind insistence in sticking to the system so rigidly was his undoing and also incredibly dull. Sherwood is a little bit more flexible with it and didn't play a game that relied on so much possession. The adjustments he made certainly made a difference against the matches we played outside the top 4 teams.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Given the tough working conditions at the Albion (expectations v FFP) we need someone level-headed and experienced.

Sherwood is not that man. He has no class. Hasn't got a clue how to deal with the media - or, I suspect, players.

"Someone's telling porkies!!!!"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...od-frank-de-boer-speculation-is-disappointing

Also, the gillet. Bellend.

Who could possibly argue with any of this? Mild-mannered Oscar does a runner for reasons unknown. This prickly hot-head would last days.

I still think my point on the other thread stands, even though MoH called it "bizarre". He said ablsolutely nothing wrong in that interview, in fact I'd say it was refreshingly honest. Both of you (and many others) are blinded by his accent and choice of language, it has nothing to dowith his ability as a coach or manager.

That doesn't mean I'm gushing about him, as someone said earlier. I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his football credentials.

P.S Just to add, people complaining about his attitude, being a dick etc etc - All of the top successful managers are dicks in some way, shape or form. Look at the two most successful managers in recent times: Fergie and Mourinho, absolute a***holes. It's about being successful and winning football matches, not about who you'd like to play squash with after a day in the office.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Both of you (and many others) are blinded by his accent and choice of language, it has nothing to dowith his ability as a coach or manager..

Communication is a very important part of being a manager (in any field).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Communication is a very important part of being a manager (in any field).

But think about who he's communicating with, it's about football intelligence and conveying a point to other footballers on their level. If he can do that it won't matter how he sounds in the media, that is of secondary importance. In any case I'm sure he'll get more savvy at the media stuff, top 6 in the championship is a world away from being manager at Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here