Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is more important to you as an Albion fan.

What is more important to you as an Albion fan?

• Total voters

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
This thread is a perfect example of how, in NSC, it is impossible to post a simple poll without it's base being torn to pieces.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I find watching us win more entertaining than watching us lose.

My thoughts exactly. There are games like Wolves, or in a previous season, West Ham, where we score 3 goals to get a draw, which are entertaining but losing the majority of games playing pretty football, is not entertaining in the slightest. It’s the hope that kills you,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread is a perfect example of how, in NSC, it is impossible to post a simple poll without it's base being torn to pieces.

True, it was quite a simple question but people are complicating it with ifs and buts, just answer the question :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think football history has shown either winning or entertaining can be unsatisfying if not accompanied by the other. Teams consistently scraping dull 1-0 wins, or winning regularly enough to consistently finish mid-table get bored and want more entertainment (boring boring arsenal? Stoke and Charlton? West Ham fans wanting 'the west ham way'?). Entertaining and losing isn't sustainable. Not just on the getting relegated and losing money and top players, but no player get into the game because they want to entertain people. They get into it to win, so when they lose they get frustrated and friction creeps in and performances will drop.

Wanting consistent entertainment and wins is greedy for teams outside the top 6. But, if you want entertainment, you need enough wins to sustain that approach, even if it means forgoing entertainment for a few of matches.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I would put two of them together. I would like to be entertained and also see the odd result along with it rather than hard luck stories

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's not as simple as the survey suggests.

I follow the Albion and want us to do well. I hated watching us in the last half of our second season in the Prem and lost my mojo. Everyone wants to do well but I like to enjoy the football. And I love seeing my footy mates (most of whom I made at the football) and particularly away days.

Which box do I tick for that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not as simple as the survey suggests.

I follow the Albion and want us to do well. I hated watching us in the last half of our second season in the Prem and lost my mojo. Everyone wants to do well but I like to enjoy the football. And I love seeing my footy mates (most of whom I made at the football) and particularly away days.

Which box do I tick for that?

'Other'

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
After the stresses of 90s-00s the most important thing for me would be being financially sound, having our own ground and not having a dodgy owner. Anything else is a bonus

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Results.

(I’m pro Potter btw)

Walking away from a stadium with three points, cheering a winning goal, is everything.

Some fans have been conditioned to 4 seasons of defeats and home draws, psychologically cheering themselves up with “So proud that we played well in spells against the billionaires” or “Living the dream, I feel honoured to have seen Eden Hazard play”.

Supporters didn’t used to talk in those terms, winning was everything, a defeat gutting, disdain for the visiting team.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Question only makes sense in context.

In the lower divisions (where we have been for more than 90% of our existence) it is all about results. A winning season that ended with promotion would obviously be hugely enjoyed regardless of style of play. From the North Stand as teenagers we weren't too worried about nice passing sequences.

In the place that we currently inhabit - along with Palace - then quality of football and watchability becomes much more important. Where you end up between 38pts and 48pts at the end of the season doesn't make that much difference. So I'd rather have fewer points but a style of play that is consistently better to watch.

Us glass half full happy clappers get huge pleasure from watching the Albion under Graham Potter. Under GP's expert guidance - assisted by astute recruitment and TB's wallet - we are only a few goals away from being hailed as one of the most entertaining teams in the country.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

In the lower divisions (where we have been for more than 90% of our existence) it is all about results. A winning season that ended with promotion would obviously be hugely enjoyed regardless of style of play. From the North Stand as teenagers we weren't too worried about nice passing sequences.

In the place that we currently inhabit - along with Palace - then quality of football and watchability becomes much more important. Where you end up between 38pts and 48pts at the end of the season doesn't make that much difference. So I'd rather have fewer points but a style of play that is consistently better to watch.

Us glass half full happy clappers get huge pleasure from watching the Albion under Graham Potter. Under GP's expert guidance - assisted by astute recruitment and TB's wallet - we are only a few goals away from being hailed as one of the most entertaining teams in the country.

Excellent post. I was struggling to articulate exactly what you’ve written.

Staying up is undoubtedly hugely important, BUT personally happier to JUST survive playing good football, than play like Palace and finish six points or two places higher.

That match last night, was horrific to watch.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Reading what some fans say, you would think we are on a one way ride to entertainmentville.
I think they choose to forget the many lengthy passages of possession based football, played at too low a tempo, with the opposition grouped in front of us. Tedious, uninspiring, ineffective football. Little created, little gained.
So saying, there are also passages of really enjoyable play, free flowing and quite adventurous, when we look a totally different side. Upbeat and much more threatening. So its not about entertainment for me because there is too much frustration built around Potterball. Too much overplaying and too little accuracy. The most enjoyable football I watch is fast counter-attacking. Well organised and fairly solid at the back, ready to spring quickly into action. Some of the best goals to me are two/three touch moves, sweeping the length of the field, with a decisive finish.
I don't go to be entertained. I go to see my team win and if they can't win, I expect them to battle for a draw. I don't demand a particular style. The result is everything. Do you get low crowds when your team is winning a lot, even if it is fairly pragmatic stuff? Hughton's style has been castigated by many but being at the top of the Championship didn't keep too many away. If you are happy with entertaining, losing football, then thats your choice. It ain't mine.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Existing. I'm just glad to have and hope to continue to have a football club.
I'm very much of the view that we need to play attractive football and develop technically capable players to do so to ensure our long term financial survival and (hopefully) growth. We've already managed 3 seasons more than I was expecting in the premier league and completely overhauled the squad in the process. All of this so far is success.

We now have a squad with some talented young players who due to the tactical approach we are taking are becoming more valuable footballers and are yet to reach their peak. This is exciting for me. (Wins would help though)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Reading what some fans say, you would think we are on a one way ride to entertainmentville.
I think they choose to forget the many lengthy passages of possession based football, played at too low a tempo, with the opposition grouped in front of us. Tedious, uninspiring, ineffective football. Little created, little gained.
So saying, there are also passages of really enjoyable play, free flowing and quite adventurous, when we look a totally different side. Upbeat and much more threatening. So its not about entertainment for me because there is too much frustration built around Potterball. Too much overplaying and too little accuracy. The most enjoyable football I watch is fast counter-attacking. Well organised and fairly solid at the back, ready to spring quickly into action. Some of the best goals to me are two/three touch moves, sweeping the length of the field, with a decisive finish.
I don't go to be entertained. I go to see my team win and if they can't win, I expect them to battle for a draw. I don't demand a particular style. The result is everything. Do you get low crowds when your team is winning a lot, even if it is fairly pragmatic stuff? Hughton's style has been castigated by many but being at the top of the Championship didn't keep too many away. If you are happy with entertaining, losing football, then thats your choice. It ain't mine.
You have explained your point of view very clearly. There clearly isn't "right" and "wrong" on this issue.

Apart from characterising the current Albion team as "tedious". That is wrong. :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I can’t put it any better than this.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Results.

(I’m pro Potter btw)

Walking away from a stadium with three points, cheering a winning goal, is everything.

Some fans have been conditioned to 4 seasons of defeats and home draws, psychologically cheering themselves up with “So proud that we played well in spells against the billionaires” or “Living the dream, I feel honoured to have seen Eden Hazard play”.

Supporters didn’t used to talk in those terms, winning was everything, a defeat gutting, disdain for the visiting team.

It should still be that way, but you are right. We now expect to roll over and expose our soft underbelly.
I feel the views of a lot of fans have been slightly clouded by the seduction of a more expansive style. If CH was still in charge, playing a more pragmatic style of football and achieving the same results, there would be an overwhelming vote for him to go. Virtually every team rocks up at the Amex now and gets something. Its thoroughly disheartening but its always excused because our football is so much more enjoyable.
If we had played glorious attacking football, opening Amex day v Doncaster and lost, do you think fans would still remember it so vividly and fondly today. Or take a dull, rather nervous, shabby display, culminating in that fantastic winning goal in the 98th minute....I know which one I prefer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here