Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Gus Poyet thinking tonight?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some fans are obsessed. We have taken 6 points off of the league leaders & they have start a thread about the ex manager. Haven't you got enough to chat about in the match?

This all day long.

Move on people FFS! It will only eat you from inside otherwise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Developing the thread back onto the Sunderland job, it does seem to be turning into 'the job from hell'. Martin O'Neill has left club football, as has Roy Keane. Di Canio's young managerial career might never recover either. Old pros like Bruce and McCarthy had to retreat to the Championship to find their feet again, and of those only Steve Bruce's position is any further advanced since his departure from The Stadium Of Light.

The amount of work that needs to be done at that club is staggering. I had no idea things were as systemically bad as they are.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh right, so YOU'RE allowed to talk about Gus Poyet, but nobody else is?

Eh? I don't understand. I don't have a problem with people talking about Gus, but there are times like now when the subject is more newsworthy than at other times.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eh? I don't understand. I don't have a problem with people talking about Gus, but there are times like now when the subject is more newsworthy than at other times.
I can't say I talk about him regularly but when I started a Gus thread a month ago, you replied with "at what point are we going to stop talking about Gus?" or something.

So in answer to your post here, who says Gus is newsworthy now then? You obviously do, but as far as I'm concerned it's not relevant at all. Not in the slightest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bloke last night had watched his team capitulate, playing some of the worst football I've ever seen in the Prem. Spurs gifted them a goal to get them on their way too. I've never seen Gus so down and bereft of ideas, they threw in the towel last night and all his bravado about walking away is just that - bravado. His reaction was remarkable. Everything that has gone before has been superceded by the reality of their plight.

I'm happy that Oscar is our manager and have never missed Gus since he left. There's been a lot of rubbish spoken about both managers since the summer, but tonight has shown that we haven't hit any sort of ceiling, we can beat the best and we are contenders once again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Developing the thread back onto the Sunderland job, it does seem to be turning into 'the job from hell'. Martin O'Neill has left club football, as has Roy Keane. Di Canio's young managerial career might never recover either. Old pros like Bruce and McCarthy had to retreat to the Championship to find their feet again, and of those only Steve Bruce's position is any further advanced since his departure from The Stadium Of Light.

The amount of work that needs to be done at that club is staggering. I had no idea things were as systemically bad as they are.

Di Canio went about things the wrong way - players won't take public criticism even when they know they deserve it - but essentially he was right in everything he said about the lack of professionalism in the Sunderland dressing room. Gus should have done more research, but even then he got a poor squad to a Wembley final.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree about Di Canio. Too much player power and too many bad, lazy players at the club. That said, those that Gus has brought in haven't covered themselves in glory. He's got 5 or 6 players that give a shit, and at least 15 that need to be shipped out at the first opportunity. By contrast, Fulham and Norwich look positively healthy.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
He's probably thinking about keeping Sunderland up. Then he might have thought about Diego and Charlton staying up. He probably thought about Leeds, Albion and Spurs recent results. He might have had a look at how Swindon and Zaragoza were getting on.

But probably watched Chelsea and thought about shagging his missus and what to have for his dinner.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Err... Burnley have received around £8m from the Premier League this season.

Yep, but even so, their player budget is still almost certainly smaller than ours (it definitely was last season, by some margin).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Err... Burnley have received around £8m from the Premier League this season.

Even with parachute payments Burnley made an £8 million loss last season and £4 milion the year before, so they've had to sell Rodriguez and Austin just to break even. By the clubs own admission the funds have been squandered and they're no more able to pay big wages than the Albion.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This season has shown that it's not all about money if you want to get out of this division. Sean Dyche has shown what can be done even if you're forced to sell your ace striker to a promotion rival.

What Gus is thinking is one thing...what Charlie Austin is thinking after his £5million move to moneybags QPR as Burnley disappear over the horizon into the Premier League is almost certainly unprintable.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
If he had stayed and taken us top he would still have been touting himself at every opportunity and would have fecked off at the first job offer from the Premier League.

Oscar is far classier and potentially a much better manager....imo

( oh and Biscuit - feck off with your thumbs down everytime I criticise Poyet :lolol:)

True, once a chameleon

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gus will be back in the Championship, his stock has dropped but he will be able to retire to Uruguay any time he wants

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should he stay at Sunderland it will be interesting to see just how well he does. This time he will have one of the biggest budgets in the league with a team playing a style of football that most of us came to love, although we couldn't fund the players to make it unplayable at this level. No excuses if he doesn't get them back in style at the first attempt IMO. I think next season we'll see if he really does have what it takes to be a top manager. I think he does but impatience and an oversized ego has led to this seasons blip.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Guys like Oscar has to work with another managers players and both will change their squads in the close season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Should he stay at Sunderland it will be interesting to see just how well he does. This time he will have one of the biggest budgets in the league with a team playing a style of football that most of us came to love, although we couldn't fund the players to make it unplayable at this level. No excuses if he doesn't get them back in style at the first attempt IMO. I think next season we'll see if he really does have what it takes to be a top manager. I think he does but impatience and an oversized ego has led to this seasons blip.

I think should he stay, is the key thing. Read somewhere where he's had a chat with the Chairman and agreed to keep going until the end of the season.

I think Norwich/WBA is a possible destination, but it could still be in the Championship. I just don't think Sunderland are a 'good fit' for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Read somewhere where he's had a chat with the Chairman and agreed to keep going until the end of the season..

Was that preceded by "I am leaving at the end of the season but if I could go today that would be ideal" :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here