Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What Is Brighton Most Famous For?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This. Having been born and bred here, and trying to explain it to the countless 'incomers' who visit, like and settle here, I have often said that Brighton tolerates just about anyone and anything.
You can be who you want to be, and it's really quite difficult to get a local to raise an eyebrow, however you dress or behave. Men dressed as pretty pink fairies, women as rugged skinheads, punk rockers rubbing along with teddy boys, etc, etc, etc, - all just seem (nowadays) to get along.

Just don't hurt anyone else while you do what you do.

(However, I try to make sure that they don't visit NSC - the levels of intolerance to other people's opinions on here can be quite shocking. What would it be like if we could actually see each other, meet up, and get a real glimpse into the multitude of lifestyles that must be lived by it's members? :eek::smile: )

I believe there used to be NSC curry nights amongst other stuff, and the REMF gatherings like the match and pub quizzes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whenever i mention i am from Brighton, generally the first thing that's mentioned is that it's the gay capital of the UK.

Is that because you mention it in Fletcher Moss Park, Manchester????

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly this, it’s so boring isn’t it. Anyone thought of a good reposte to it?

"And you're from?"

<replies with place name>

"Ah, that's the wifebeating and sister shagging capital of the UK, isn't it?"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've lived in a good number of places across England since leaving Sussex 10 years ago, and nowhere will beat Croydon on that score.

The human turd I found in a back alley in Manchester city centre on my way to do the marathon a few years ago is a standout memory to be fair.

How do you know it was human?

I remember reading about 'the smell of human excrement' in the Amityville Horror book, and I always wondered if it has a special smell. If I had to attend a blind sniff, I'm not sure if I'd be able to discriminate netween human shit and dog shit. And vegetarian human shit is another thing altogether.

It was the fact it was embedded in toilet paper, wasn't it :facepalm:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
How do you know it was human?

I remember reading about 'the smell of human excrement' in the Amityville Horror book, and I always wondered if it has a special smell. If I had to attend a blind sniff, I'm not sure if I'd be able to discriminate netween human shit and dog shit. And vegetarian human shit is another thing altogether.

It was the fact it was embedded in toilet paper, wasn't it :facepalm:

I knew somebody would question that.

To be honest, it was the taste. No mistaking it.

Seriously though, I can't remember much about the poo itself, but I saw it in a corner of an alleyway right by the back door to whatever the building was, and immediately thought "christ, how pissed were you?"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I knew somebody would question that.

To be honest, it was the taste. No mistaking it.

Seriously though, I can't remember much about the poo itself, but I saw it in a corner of an alleyway right by the back door to whatever the building was, and immediately thought "christ, how pissed were you?"

:bowdown:

At the end of the day, identification can be apparent from location.

I recall Lenny Henry recounting.......but that's another story :wink:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Speed Trials, London to Brighton (anything), Pavilion, Mad Royals, Nightlife, Mods (and Rockers), Gay Capital UK, Caroline Lucas and Brighton & Hove Albion (I ****ing love Brighton).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's football club scoring the first goal of the millennium

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd have to say Hipsters and weekend homes for Londoners.

Sorry...

Thanks for keeping the Hipster quota down up here though.

May have missed it but the world's oldest surviving and still operating electric railway must be worth a mention. For avoidance of doubt I mean Volks Railway, not Southern Trains :).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here