Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what incentive does the current first team squad have to gain promotion?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I do understand where the ops coming from. It's often crossed my mind too, not just with the Championship but with any promotion, even down through the Conference Leagues. Fortunately human nature strives to make folk want to win and despite it being maybe with Ill thought out logic, that is what they do, play to win. A typical example would be our pals up the road who almost to a man had to find another club after Gus gifted them the playoffs. I doubt there's anyone in the squad that wouldn't be pleased to get promotion on their CV. :smile:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Possible promotion pay-rises in their contracts (IE a 10% increase or whatever). Chances are they would get a bonus as well.

Not to mention, wanting to play at Wembley is probably the dream of a lot of footballers. As is the chance of playing in the worlds top league (well, one of the top 3 anyway) which some of our players havent had yet.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i would say:

pay rise
the opportunity to play in the premier league
the opportunity to play with better players in games, and improve by playing with them in training
the opportunity to play against top class opposition and some of the best players in the world
fulfilment of getting promoted from one of the most difficult leagues to get out of

i dont think any of the players would automatically think they arent good enough for the prem just because of the opinions of a few fans, they may come to realise it halfway through the season, but it says more about the player if they dont even try if they are scared they arent good enough

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Any player who has help with a successful promotion push will not be short of offers, especially from teams who missed out.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It's not just footballers. How many managers have been good enough to get their team promoted to the premiership and then get the sack by Christmas?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Their incentive would be the opportunity to play in the Premier League.
That's my point.

Assuming Mr Bloom would like us to stay in the Premier League:-

Greer and Upson won't be playing, often.
Injury prone Bruno supported by Calde isn't going to get the job done.
Can a 25 man squad support Orlandi, KLL & Buckley.
How many games will SD be able to produce in.
CMS & Hoskins have massive question marks over them.

As for:-
Ince.
March.
JFC.
Chicksen.

If the club is really lucky 2 will be able to step up, who knows maybe 3.
But I think we can safely say it's a season too soon, even for Ince.

Although I'm assuming most of us would be more than happy to do it again with that team, in the Championship, next season.
With Oscar and, please god, less injuries.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's actually a fair question. If you look at Cardiff as an example then Joe Mason, Rudy Gestede, Craig Conway have ended up at Bolton / Blackburn, so they've gone from being important players in a Championship-winning side to mid-table players a year later.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's my point.

Assuming Mr Bloom would like us to stay in the Premier League:-

Greer and Upson won't be playing, often.
Injury prone Bruno supported by Calde isn't going to get the job done.
Can a 25 man squad support Orlandi, KLL & Buckley.
How many games will SD be able to produce in.
CMS & Hoskins have massive question marks over them.

As for:-
Ince.
March.
JFC.
Chicksen.

If the club is really lucky 2 will be able to step up, who knows maybe 3.
But I think we can safely say it's a season too soon, even for Ince.

Although I'm assuming most of us would be more than happy to do it again with that team, in the Championship, next season.
With Oscar and, please god, less injuries.

It's never a season too soon. Ince could be gone next January, or even the summer the way he's been playing. Our back 5 is as good as a fair few in the top flight, you might of noticed Greer is playing internationals, he's a decent defender that doesn't get as much credit as he deserves.

I'd be happy with our squad, going up with 6 or so signings to bolster things up, and give it a good go. Hull have shown that you can keep the core of your promoted team and get some quality in and do well, as have Palace. QPR showed that be too harsh on those that got you up and you can strip the heart out of the side.

I'd have a bit of faith that 6 or 7 of our squad will step up rather than just 2 or 3.*

*in the extremely hypothetical situation of us managing to go up of course.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
IMO - If a player is good enough to earn his team a spot in the top division that he is good enough to play in that division (until they are shown to be out of their depth).

Exactly. :thumbsup:

You keep the structure of your squad and add some quality to it, not rebuild it.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
People need to understand that we are an ambitious club now and no longer have to make ends meet in an athletics track football pitch.

We have promising training facilities in the horizon and the potential to be more financially secure than any other club and able to sign players that will take us to the next level!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agustien seems to be the only one not putting in the required effort.

We don't really have a lot to go on given that he hasn't played at all in the senior side for weeks.
and we don't get to see training sessions.

What is true is that , according to him, he asked to play in the Dev Squad the other day because him (and the club ) want him to remain match fit. That's quite a tough thing to have to do as a first team player ex Prem player to offer to play with the kids. so all credit to him for doing so.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We don't really have a lot to go on given that he hasn't played at all in the senior side for weeks.
and we don't get to see training sessions.

What is true is that , according to him, he asked to play in the Dev Squad the other day because him (and the club ) want him to remain match fit. That's quite a tough thing to have to do as a first team player ex Prem player to offer to play with the kids. so all credit to him for doing so.

I think that's quite generous to KA. Given Jones said they need to see more from KA before he can get back to the first team, I'm pretty sure it was a case of KA playing in the DS or else...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's a very good point, but could be made about virtually every Prem team. Even those with 'Prem players' they're generally still playing on those wages in the Champ as no Prem team would want them on a free transfer even given their contracts.

24 squads of players may not want to go up by this way of thinking but every year 3 will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here