Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What in the name of Dickens is happening in the Bennett's field car park tonight?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happens every week. Never going to improve

No it really doeasn't. Mostly this season, if you get to your car quickly after the final whistle, you are out within 30 minutes.

Last night after 30 minutes nothing had even started to move.

Something definitely went awray last night, beyond whatever procedures are normally in place.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No stewarding, carnage in the car park, still have barely moved after 50 minutes and tempers are being frayed with some kamikaze manoeuvres albeit at 3 MPH!

Having discussed this at length with the club earlier in the season I was told the stewards are no longer prepared to steward the BF car park after matches. There had been instances of verbal threats, one instance of racial abuse and one steward being hit by a car that forced its way through whilst the steward was trying to direct the traffic. Some of the attitiudes of drivers in that car park leave a lot to be desired. Granted, there is piss poor organisation, but there is also little incentive for them to sort it all the while some drivers behave like they do.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No it really doeasn't. Mostly this season, if you get to your car quickly after the final whistle, you are out within 30 minutes.

Last night after 30 minutes nothing had even started to move.

Something definitely went awray last night, beyond whatever procedures are normally in place.

30 minutes is about average but last night we sat in one spot for 40 minutes without even moving.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having discussed this at length with the club earlier in the season I was told the stewards are no longer prepared to steward the BF car park after matches. There had been instances of verbal threats, one instance of racial abuse and one steward being hit by a car that forced its way through whilst the steward was trying to direct the traffic. Some of the attitiudes of drivers in that car park leave a lot to be desired. Granted, there is piss poor organisation, but there is also little incentive for them to sort it all the while some drivers behave like they do.

If that were the case then they should sack them, and employ some stewards who actually want to do the job, of um, stewarding. You can't just shrug your shoulders, because of the actions of a few poor drivers.

They didn't completely abandon the car park last night anyway - they did put the blue cones out, to stop people driving through the empty spaces rather than joining the queue. I have no idea what happened last night, but literally nothing seemed to move for a good 30 minutes. It was like they'd kept the gate shut (we were at the furthest corner, so I couldn't see what went on).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't understand why people keep going around this debate with BF. Surely there is always likely to be the potential for delay, regardless of any periods of smooth-running.

So, if you are physically able to cope with the longer walk, swap to the University car park where you will have absolutely no issues whatsoever and be well on your way home quickly.

Or stop bloody moaning about it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't understand why people keep going around this debate with BF. Surely there is always likely to be the potential for delay, regardless of any periods of smooth-running.

So, if you are physically able to cope with the longer walk, swap to the University car park where you will have absolutely no issues whatsoever and be well on your way home quickly.

Or stop bloody moaning about it.

I don't think anyone (the OP I guess) is actually moaning about it - its more wondering WHY it was so much worse last night than other recent games. Identify what was different and hopefully learn from it.

FWIW, I was at my parents' house in Withdean exactly one hour after the final whistle, and did say something along the lines of "the car park was a bit annoying, but in truth an hour isn't the end of the world". And its not.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

What a way to deal with a problem! Just abandon all stewarding! Ridiculous approach by the club. Wish I could deal with examples of verbal abuse and threats at work by just huddling in a group elsewhere and shutting my eyes/ears to the issue.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If that were the case then they should sack them, and employ some stewards who actually want to do the job, of um, stewarding. You can't just shrug your shoulders, because of the actions of a few poor drivers.

They didn't completely abandon the car park last night anyway - they did put the blue cones out, to stop people driving through the empty spaces rather than joining the queue. I have no idea what happened last night, but literally nothing seemed to move for a good 30 minutes. It was like they'd kept the gate shut (we were at the furthest corner, so I couldn't see what went on).

What a way to deal with a problem! Just abandon all stewarding! Ridiculous approach by the club. Wish I could deal with examples of verbal abuse and threats at work by just walking out!

Having just re-read the email I had from the club, it reads "The Police have advised our Safety Officer not to allow the stewards into the car park for their own safety"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having just re-read the email I had from the club, it reads "The Police have advised our Safety Officer not to allow the stewards into the car park for their own safety"

If the police are aware that someone's safety or well-being is compromised surely they should act and not advice the club to abandon the majority of users who are respectable people?

And if the plod want to use this theory then surely they should advise the club to withdraw all stewards from the ground as there is potential inside as well as out?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Hand each driver a leaftlet saying abuse/threats/dangerous driving will not be tolerated, you are under observation by cctv, your car details will be noted, you will be banned from the amex, face prosecution etc etc and do so when people act inappropriately so it's a credible threat. It's not the wild west. If not sort out/redesign a properly structured car park that allows safe exiting.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've been sat in that car park for MANY an hour and my opinion is this...

If the club are seen to be helping out where they can, people remain pretty calm. Yes there's a wait, but when there's a system of traffic direction in the car park and good communication, I think (I don't KNOW) that drivers are much happier waiting.

I think the reason people get so irate are for all of the "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING!!!??" moments. When the buses are gone, but still nothing is moving in the car park and there isn't a steward to be seen.

Given the fact that there are about 20 stewards making sure you drive IN to the car park okay (which isn't tremendously hard) and only a handful getting you out gives off that impression that the club don't give a shit about you once you're out of the stadium.

I've read a lot on here from people who have very little sympathy for those of us who park here and that's fair enough. I can understand how it's VERY much a first world problem. But it's the frustration of it changing from one week to the next which gets people whinging.

Some days, it's a high capacity match and you can sail out with almost no problems, good direction, people in the car park organising everything and other nights (like last night seemingly) you sit there for an hour with no reason as to why.

It's miles better (and less dangerous) now than it was in the first season and I don't think club has to do more as such, they just need to do one thing and stick with it. Communicate what's happening and people remain calm.... ish.

Rock

Jan 31, 2008
Actually - i feel strongly enough about this to write a comment. It is not bad every week - and if you wait 30 mins after a match it is not too bad.. HOWEVER, last night was particularly bad. Enough for me to even (nearly) lose my rag with several @rses. I can see why Stewards do not want to work BF - as it is the PIG HEADED ARROGANCE of some of the drivers.. The way some think that because they have a big new 4x4 they have a god given right to not queue with everyone else. The problem last night was the people trying to follow the rules/structure vs those that thought it better to do their own thing. It ended up in carnage and a free for all. There HAS to be some rules in place for people to follow.. and if they are seen not to (and then get verbal/aggressive) they get BANNED from parking there - going to matches etc. We know who all the people are that park in Bennetts Field.. and someone needs to address the issue and not bury their heads. How someone didnt end up in a collision (if you can collide at 2mph!) i just dont know. It needs to be sorted though..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the reason people get so irate are for all of the "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING!!!??" moments. When the buses are gone, but still nothing is moving in the car park and there isn't a steward to be seen.

From my perspective it's the ********s who get in their cars and expect to just push, often with quite aggressive edging forward into the flow of traffic immediately, not taking into account those that have been patiently edging forward for 20 mins. Well that's what pisses me off the most anyway, I have no problem waiting my turn to get out. Maybe I should just buy a big **** off 4X4 and try the same thing myself :smile:

theboybilly

Indeed. Using my push bicycle I was home in Hollingdean at 22:05hrs.

I'm going to start going by cycle (from Shoreham). Do you park your bike by the ticket hut opposite the Club Shop, and if so which route do you use away from the Amex please? I would imagine the walkway down to the station is impassable because of those queuing for the trains?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here