Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Sussex CCC this summer?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That said,.I haven't seen much from other teams in Div 2.
Not impressed,.depressed.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Sussex have not been crap overnight , the last 2 or 3 seasons with Robinson in charge were poor , he left after we were relegated leaving behind a team who were short of talent in all departments . The new management is very poor and not experienced and it shows , they need to get experienced people in charge who know what they are doing .

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Sussex have not been crap overnight , the last 2 or 3 seasons with Robinson in charge were poor , he left after we were relegated leaving behind a team who were short of talent in all departments . The new management is very poor and not experienced and it shows , they need to get experienced people in charge who know what they are doing .

like who?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Salt, finch, machan, wells - this lot should be told only one of them will be retained. Create some hunger. They should be in no doubt they are fighting for their careers.
Nash - lovely guy but last chance saloon
Wright - he looks indecisive in the field . Is he enjoying the captaincy ? I wonder
Brown - mediocre. Needs more pressure on his place

Blimey, that's harsh stuff. Salt hasn't even played a CC match and you want rid, while Finch is just starting.
Wells has had a decent season (and Nash has had a really good one - 800 runs already) and Brown has been batting a place too high most of the season (and has had the pressure of captaincy too), despite this, he's averaging in the 40s so he's not had a shocker.

The only real disappointment is Machan who hasn't built on his excellent season last year (and Taylor, who hasn't delivered as an overseas player should).

As others have said, the real problem is that we're a batsman short - we also don't have a decent spinner.

The trouble is, we've punched above our weight for a couple of decades now - we haven't really got the money to buy more talent, so we have to develop it.

The club has really stepped up its efforts in talent-spotting and grassroots coaching in the past year or so (it readily admits that it had been poor). I think it will be some time before Sussex will be back on top but I think we're heading in the right direction

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Archer, Garton and Whittingham are the future and are the straws I am clutching at as I look for positives in a poor season........also on the plus side, there are still seven County Championship games left for players to redeem themselves and for fringe players to stake their claims for next season and beyond......:)

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Lots of youngsters, not enough experience and quality around them at times.

Can't be too critical of those already mentioned IMO.

Salt and Finch are literally in their first season, they will be fine
Wells has actually performed really well in the CC
Machan has been playing with a wrist injury all season and with pain killing injections.

Davis needs help IMO, someone like Adams or Prior would be ideal, suspect a limited budget is preventing that happening.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We've only got three batsmen, Nash, Joyce and Wright, if they fail we lose.

Absolutely this!!

For a few seasons Nash and Joyce were papering over some fairly substantial cracks in the batting department, now they are not hitting those same heights no one else has stepped up. They desperately need another decent batsman to take some of the pressure off.

Still don't understand why Will Beer hasn't been given a shot in the Championship, seems decent when he plays in the limited overs stuff. Ollie Robinson has dropped off the face of the earth, and none of our 2nd XI seem ready to step up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For a few seasons Nash and Joyce were papering over some fairly substantial cracks in the batting department, now they are not hitting those same heights...

This season, Joyce is averaging 76 and Nash not far short of 60 so they're not doing badly. And Wells is just under 50, so he's doing pretty well too

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Absolutely this!!

For a few seasons Nash and Joyce were papering over some fairly substantial cracks in the batting department, now they are not hitting those same heights no one else has stepped up. They desperately need another decent batsman to take some of the pressure off.

Still don't understand why Will Beer hasn't been given a shot in the Championship, seems decent when he plays in the limited overs stuff. Ollie Robinson has dropped off the face of the earth, and none of our 2nd XI seem ready to step up.
Robinson was playing in that seconds match I watched at Abergavenny, he bowled alright but was outshone by Whittingham. They missed a trick by not giving Christian Davis a knock in yesterday's dead rubber off the back of his 259.

:shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not really 'this summer' is it? We've been on a long downward spiral for several years now since the end of the Adams Era; this season we've simply continued the pattern and been a little bit worse than we were last season.

All the reasons/solutions mentioned in this thread (and others) have varying amounts of truth in them, however if I were being really pessimistic I'd say there is no solution and we are simply returning to our natural level after an uncharacteristically successful period.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All the reasons/solutions mentioned in this thread (and others) have varying amounts of truth in them, however if I were being really pessimistic I'd say there is no solution and we are simply returning to our natural level after an uncharacteristically successful period.

I've been watching Sussex for more than 50 years: apart from a brief period in the early 80 and about a 12 year period this century, we've been in the bottom half of the CC teams. I'd say the gap between the haves and have-nots has widened in the past few years, making it harder for a non-test county to be successful.

In my time watching cricket there have been several non-test teams win the CC (Sussex, Essex, Kent, Worcs, Glamorgan, Leics and Hants have all done it - even if two are now international grounds). I can't see that happening any again - at least not in the next few years.

The only way Sussex will be able to compete is to find better young players and bring them on. Let's hope the days of players like Mason Crane finding another county are gone

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been watching Sussex for more than 50 years: apart from a brief period in the early 80 and about a 12 year period this century, we've been in the bottom half of the CC teams. I'd say the gap between the haves and have-nots has widened in the past few years, making it harder for a non-test county to be successful.

In my time watching cricket there have been several non-test teams win the CC (Sussex, Essex, Kent, Worcs, Glamorgan, Leics and Hants have all done it - even if two are now international grounds). I can't see that happening any again - at least not in the next few years.

The only way Sussex will be able to compete is to find better young players and bring them on. Let's hope the days of players like Mason Crane finding another county are gone
I think to an extent the Test ground argument actually cuts both ways. Durham are in a lot of financial shit largely as a result of the bidding process for Test matches. At first I had no sympathy for them, then I read somewhere that one of the conditions of them being granted 1st class status was that they had to make the Riverside up to Test level. I might well be talking out of my arse there as I can't remember where I read it; so if it's not true I can go back to calling them (and Hampshire and Glamorgan) a load of greedy *******s for wanting to upset a perfectly reasonable set of rotating Test grounds in an attempt to cash in. Even the 'traditional' test grounds need a lot of upkeep and are rarely if ever full. Mind you this city-based 20/20 franchise could put a lot of cash in their pockets ...

100% agree about the youngsters. May as well accept that were pretty much at rock bottom and stick as many as we can in next season - they can't do much worse. Durham do well with their home-grown players as they can't afford anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here