Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has gone wrong then?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We are taking FFP seriously. Whether that's wrong or not is a matter of personal opinion, but I believe we're doing the right thing. Unfortunately our strict adherence will only further benefit those on parachute payments. The rich/poor divide will become unbreachable, until such time as there'll be no point having relegations from the Premiership as the teams coming down will have so much of a financial advantage they'll go straight back up anyway. That's how I see it.

FFP doesn't even the playing field. FFP gives the rich clubs even more of an advantage.

The ONLY good aspect (and it is a bloody good one) is it should ensure our long-term survival by managing the amount of debt we can get into. TB obviously understands we cannot compete financially with parachute payments so has wisely decided to fund the incredible training academy. The plan will be to train up our own Premiership quality players and along with the income from the stadium, this should ensure Brighton's natural position is as a second flight club. Whether we, or anyone else in our situation, will be able to ever break the Premiership and stay there, is IMO, unlikely.

The whole time their is promotion and relegation there is always a chance, ridiculous statement if you ask me.

More money certainly helps, if we get to the Prem I certainly think we will be in a good position to stay there. Only three teams can come down and over the course of last season I believe 4/5 would have struggled to cut it in this league, if we concentrate on our own thing and dont worry about everyone else we should see steady progression.

We have a plan, we are sticking to it, currently I dont see a problem with the plan, so why change it.

Apologies Biscuit not all of this post is aimed at you.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Since I started following the Albion, the following managers survived less than a year (and I'm sure I've forgotten some) Melia, Mullery (second time round), Case, Gritt, Adams (second time round), Slade, Coppell, Taylor (the second), Hinshelwood, Wood, and now Garcia.

Yet no one was saying that all was wrong in the good house Albion when many of the above named lost their jobs, I wonder why?

jcl

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What has surprised me the most is Tony Bloom's lack of ambition. He seems quite content with spending season after season in the Championship with no great desire or ambition to get into the Premier league and I find that very surprising and disappointing. Hyppia has no target just a " get in the top 6 if you can but if you can't never mind " Crowds will soon drop and have already start to tail off. 2000 down this season already. That is fine but why build the best stadium and training facilities around with a seemingly total lack of ambition on the field ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What has surprised me the most is Tony Bloom's lack of ambition. He seems quite content with spending season after season in the Championship with no great desire or ambition to get into the Premier league and I find that very surprising and disappointing. Hyppia has no target just a " get in the top 6 if you can but if you can't never mind " Crowds will soon drop and have already start to tail off. 2000 down this season already. That is fine but why build the best stadium and training facilities around with a seemingly total lack of ambition on the field ?

I think not trying to GAZUMP Fulham with a BIGGER bid for McCormack shows the LACK of ambition at the club, they seem happy with charging SKY high prices but won't SPEND any

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What has surprised me the most is Tony Bloom's lack of ambition

Sure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404827435.986481.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404827446.370273.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The whole time their is promotion and relegation there is always a chance, ridiculous statement if you ask me.

More money certainly helps, if we get to the Prem I certainly think we will be in a good position to stay there. Only three teams can come down and over the course of last season I believe 4/5 would have struggled to cut it in this league, if we concentrate on our own thing and dont worry about everyone else we should see steady progression.

We have a plan, we are sticking to it, currently I dont see a problem with the plan, so why change it.

Apologies Biscuit not all of this post is aimed at you.

No need to apologise, it's a reasonable point of view to hold, just differs from my own interpretation,

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think not trying to GAZUMP Fulham with a BIGGER bid for McCormack shows the LACK of ambition at the club, they seem happy with charging SKY high prices but won't SPEND any

The general opinion on the street is " Brighton spend no money on the team " Now I know this attracts the usual snide comments from the clique but this is the perception.

larus

Yeah, OK. But apart from that what ELSE has he done for us? Anyone can build a new stadium, a state of the art training facility and fund losses season after season. What we need is someone to have REAL ambition; to buy overvalued players on long contracts and high wages so that the club gets into huge debts to keep the fans happy and make us go bust. That's what we really need. And we need it NOW. FFP is for PUSSIES I tell ya!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did you actually read my thread or are you trying to be clever, again ?

I'm interested as to what you consider to be ambition. Should he give the Albion more of his own money to buy and pay top level players? What impact do you think that would have upon other players in the squad, in a salary sense? "I want what he's on" etc.

Frankly I don't think there could be many more ambitious chairmen in the entire league than Tony Bloom, and certainly few who have invested such large personal sums into their clubs' infrastructure (as opposed to simply turning up, splashing out on expensive players to gamble on promotion, and then watching, aghast, as it all goes tits up around their ears a la Pompey or, hopefully, QPR).

While we all want the same thing, my take on it all is pretty much "Who the hell am I to tell Tony Bloom he should be forking out yet more of his own money on my beloved football team?". That would be nice, but I don't consider it's our place to slate him for a "lack of ambition" if he chooses not to spend spend spend.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah, OK. But apart from that what ELSE has he done for us? Anyone can build a new stadium, a state of the art training facility and fund losses season after season. What we need is someone to have REAL ambition; to buy overvalued players on long contracts and high wages so that the club gets into huge debts to keep the fans happy and make us go bust. That's what we really need. And we need it NOW. FFP is for PUSSIES I tell ya!!

My point stands but time will tell. Many more seasons outside the premiership which after all was supposed to be the ambition and crowds will be under 20000 at the Amex.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
we are trying to run the football club properly

people wet themselves when we don't stock up on loads of players

then wet themselves when leicester/leeds/palace et al go and sign loads of players, saying they are cheating, they will go bankrupt etc etc

cant have it both ways

would rather us do it properly, and if the hammer does comes down we will be laughing for a LONG time

if it doesnt, then we know we can just **** about with stupid wages

larus

My point stands but time will tell. Many more seasons outside the premiership which after all was supposed to be the ambition and crowds will be under 20000 at the Amex.

Completely unfounded, irrational clap-trap. You have no way of knowing, yet you use emotive language like "Will be under 20,000". In my opinion after 30 odd years (jcl) of supporting the club, I see nothing but a rosy future. If we don't get to the premier league, the world doesn't stop spinning and people in Brighton don't suddenly lose interest in watching their team play. This constant sniping/expectation is part of the problem with modern life. Everybody wants everything now, but they want someone else to pay. Not every team can be in the premier league. Lots have tried and have got into financial difficulties due to chasing success. We're competing very well at the moment, and compared to the last 20 years, it's bloody great.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Looks like some people on here could use these:

http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/incontinence-pants/disposable-pull-up-pants.html

I think Bloom is showing MASSIVE ambition for the club. He is investing in the infrastructure of the club, whilst at the same time being competitive on the pitch. The Premier League is clearly the aim and we will get there, but not at the expense of a solid foundation for the future.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Tony Bloom has no ambition ???? Think that is the most ridiculous think I have read on NSC. ? My god you are a fool if you think that. He is not only a shrewd business man, our saviour (with Dick ), he also has more ambition for this club as his funding had proved. ? So what toy want him to do ? Go and buy some overpaid stars now or wait until the due process of finding, due diligence, realistic costs as to to adhere to the FFP rules and not put the club in jeopardy again. Or shall we do a knee jerk response and get some players in now to make some people happy on NSC, who frankly do not have a clue. We are outside the prem for a reason, we are not ready yet, we will be soon with our without so called fans who constantly whinge as we only got 1 new player in after 1 week of being back to training.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well a couple of managers didn't for starters,WHEN YOU HEAR OF PEOPLES DEALINGS WITH CLUB IT SEEMS TO LEAN TO THE NEGATIVE TBH:(

Stop shouting.

The reality is that we have an eye on the long term future rather than the short-term glory of going full tilt for promotion, which might not work and which will land some in the doggy-do.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It appears most people want to have their cake and eat it.

We have been very lucky to have a benefactor or more importantly a fan pay for the infrastructure we never had and now the expectation seems we should spend loads on players. Making the play-off last two seasons is progress for mew.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm quite happy to be patient with things on the pitch whilst the long term structure of the club is put in place. Hopefully the training ground is the final piece in the jigsaw- and while I don't imagine that itself is going to miraculously launch us towards instant promotion, I nonetheless feel pretty good about the club's long term future. I'm hopeful that when we do get ourselves up into the Premier League, we'll at least have the infrastructure to sustain it, rather than imploding the second we get there, as some clubs have done.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Things have gone waaaaaay better than expected in the Amex era. Waaaaaay better than the realistic fans imagined. We've signed CMS / Upson / Kusch to name just 3 big names at this level fwiw...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here