Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has gone wrong then?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It sounds like you would benefit from some cognitive behaviour therapy.

I suggest you:
1) take a look at the players we have actually signed over the last 3 years.

2) write down a list of the players that we managed to attract over the last 20 years.

3) give them a score out of 100 for ability to play in the Championship / International level

Aside for 1 or 2 gems, I recall some pretty dismal unexceptional signings as the norm. I recall going for years without buying anybody. We are now competing to sign the best players around and players will actually consider joining us.

Anyone who truly doesn't think right now is not still the most exciting time to support the Albion needs therapy.

Who has said I am not having a fantastic ride at the Amex. Having experienced every match at "home" in Gillingham and also Withdean, Amex is a dream.
Yes, we have brought in a lot of good players, and managers, and lost a few.
My original query was that the new facilities would encourage the players we want to sign. At the moment I see those on our list being attracted to other clubs, who are probably not in such a good position as ourselves.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Our wanted list, what players are on that then? Or have players that we were linked with with no real back story gone to others clubs for what ever reason.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When the Amex was being built, and we were at Withdean, the general opinion was that we would have no problem attracting the right players we want because of the new facilities.

Well, now, with a fantastic city to live in, a fantastic stadium and fantastic training facilities, we forgot that they would want fantastic money also!!!

A bit depressing seeing all those that appear to be on our wanted list slipping away. Or, perhaps, I am reading everything wrong.

Maybe it's more a case of those with unrealistic expectations of us becoming world beaters because we moved to a nice new stadium are starting to realise that they have greatly overestimated the effect a new stadium would have on us and it doesn't make us something were not despite their previous beliefs when they had gotten carried away by hope / fantasy.

Things are still looking very good for us (look at the calibre of players we have brought in the last few seasons) and this should continue for some time still, so no reason to worry or feel downheartened.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Think
You are either a JCL, deluded, stupid or on a wind up. We have the best stadium ,training ground in the championship. A team that would finish in top 10 without any additions. The team has come back to training and one warm
Up friendly and you are
Moaning. Come back at end of August and see where we are with players or maybe a better solution would be to find another club to support! Remember FFP rules as well, we can't just go and buy big earners as we can't afford it. Go and support someone like Fulham a team with a massive parachute payment and can spend 11 million on a one season wonder. Expect you might me happy then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Since I started following the Albion, the following managers survived less than a year (and I'm sure I've forgotten some) Melia, Mullery (second time round), Case, Gritt, Adams (second time round), Slade, Coppell, Taylor (the second), Hinshelwood, Wood, and now Garcia.

Yet no one was saying that all was wrong in the good house Albion when many of the above named lost their jobs, I wonder why?

since i started following the albion, the following managers survived less than a year (and i'm sure i've forgotten some) melia, mullery (second time round), case, gritt, adams (second time round), slade, coppell, taylor (the second), hinshelwood, wood, and now garcia.

Yet no one was saying that all was wrong in the good house albion when many of the above named lost their jobs, i wonder why?

I think we realised when managers did well and they didn't hang about that all was not well. We were told how the sparkly new stadium would produce revenue and at last we would compete,which we are doing but still coming up short! frustrated of hove:(

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Think
You are either a JCL, deluded, stupid or on a wind up. We have the best stadium ,training ground in the championship. A team that would finish in top 10 without any additions. The team has come back to training and one warm
Up friendly and you are
Moaning. Come back at end of August and see where we are with players or maybe a better solution would be to find another club to support! Remember FFP rules as well, we can't just go and buy big earners as we can't afford it. Go and support someone like Fulham a team with a massive parachute payment and can spend 11 million on a one season wonder. Expect you might me happy then?

Great answer! We need to put our trust in Tony Bloom ... he's not done too badly up to now with our great club has he?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
When the Amex was being built, and we were at Withdean, the general opinion was that we would have no problem attracting the right players we want because of the new facilities.

Well, now, with a fantastic city to live in, a fantastic stadium and fantastic training facilities, we forgot that they would want fantastic money also!!!

A bit depressing seeing all those that appear to be on our wanted list slipping away. Or, perhaps, I am reading everything wrong.

Nothing has gone wrong as such, but the introduction of FFP, coupled with the parachute payment increase, has knocked us off course slightly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're about in as good a place as can be expected for a club outside the Prem not in receipt of parachute payments.

The club appear to be taking FFP more seriously than anyone else. We're in the 'twilight zone' at present in that we're not gaining any competitive advantage by adhering to it as the transgressors haven't yet been brought to book. If FFP turns out to have teeth then it's a game changer for a lot of rival clubs. If, however, FFP does not have teeth then we would be a very attractive proposition for a potential investor willing to pump in cash to get us to the Prem. We will have to be patient for at least a couple of years to see how the dust settles.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
£100m stadium
£30m Training facility
Highest average attendence
Lowest crowd variation
Highest number of season ticket holders
"What has gone wrong?"

****ING NOTHING.

Exactly, go back 5 years ask yourself what your expectations are would have been.

Training at the Uni
14/15,000 Average attendence.
Corners not filled in and large fluctuations in attendence.
10,000 ST holders
bottom half of the Championship.

Anyone moaning is a complete Moron, we have seen progression season after season, we have made the playoffs two seasons in a row, in the last two seasons we have had Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge and Vicente play for this club. People need to take a step back and look how far we have come.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I will reserve judgement until the season starts.
I also suspect that TB is shrewd enough to keep some money back for suing the football league when they fail to manage ffp correctly.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
£100m stadium
£30m Training facility
Highest average attendence
Lowest crowd variation
Highest number of season ticket holders
"What has gone wrong?"

****ING NOTHING.

Add to that one top ten and two top six finishes.

It has been an absolute DISASTER since we moved to the Amex. :)

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Nice to see more sensible responses to the 'what has gone wrong then'. Not sure what the poster will do when something actually does go wrong. I am a fan of 50 years and I can assure you there has not been a better time. In 5 years time this club will be a a good solid prem club, not a QPR, or dare a say Palace, who will always be yo yo clubs , as the proper foundations are being laid and really proud to watch it being build in a concise and solid way.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The only thing that has gone wrong is, Palace have gone up. :wanker:

The league Next season will be better than ever next season with Local games and with teams like Fulham spending the cash, it will be great to watch them fail and laugh at them with the others in this league.

A season of standing still would probably do the club no harm and would allow us to re-focus.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We are taking FFP seriously. Whether that's wrong or not is a matter of personal opinion, but I believe we're doing the right thing. Unfortunately our strict adherence will only further benefit those on parachute payments. The rich/poor divide will become unbreachable, until such time as there'll be no point having relegations from the Premiership as the teams coming down will have so much of a financial advantage they'll go straight back up anyway. That's how I see it.

FFP doesn't even the playing field. FFP gives the rich clubs even more of an advantage.

The ONLY good aspect (and it is a bloody good one) is it should ensure our long-term survival by managing the amount of debt we can get into. TB obviously understands we cannot compete financially with parachute payments so has wisely decided to fund the incredible training academy. The plan will be to train up our own Premiership quality players and along with the income from the stadium, this should ensure Brighton's natural position is as a second flight club. Whether we, or anyone else in our situation, will be able to ever break the Premiership and stay there, is IMO, unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here