Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Firewall do you use?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
had this recently but I can find the thread :jester:

Zone Alalrm - Crashes eMule so I cant use it

Sygate - Bloody annoying as it rarely lets me reply to topics in various Forums, also crashed Firefox from time to time.

Norton - Time Trial ran out....I want a FREE Firewall :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Norton - just load a mates disc that's what I did and get all the free upgrades

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
so do i now , my ones shit , can't use ebay or predikta (the 2 things i use apart from NSC/NSP )

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I would use Norton but I <cough> cant find a cd key that works <cough>

what? ???

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
*cough*same*cough*reason*cough cough splurt*

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
Firefox - no problems at all so far

thats a browser not a firewall :dunce:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Firefox isn't a firewall...

On FreeBSD/OSX/Linux I use iptables, BeOS has 0 known security holes, and on Windows I just use Microsofts. It just works. Surprising, but it seems that security software is something they do well - the firewall, the antivirus (GeCAD RAV is owned by Microsoft) and the spyware tools all work pretty well.

Oh, and my router has a firewall too. Most of them do. Turn it on and you're generally very, very secured.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
All the software on my PC has been purchased & is fully licensed.

Anyway, must dash, I'm late for my double date with a couple of page 3ers.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
Firefox isn't a firewall...

On FreeBSD/OSX/Linux I use iptables, BeOS has 0 known security holes, and on Windows I just use Microsofts. It just works. Surprising, but it seems that security software is something they do well - the firewall, the antivirus (GeCAD RAV is owned by Microsoft) and the spyware tools all work pretty well.

Oh, and my router has a firewall too. Most of them do. Turn it on and you're generally very, very secured.

yeah got the router FW turned on, suppose standard windows one might be alright. Might try it out and see how it goes.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you've got a router firewall, or the Windows firewall, DO NOT use another one. NEVER have two running, as it'll often stop you being able to do legitimate stuff, like download in your browser...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
clapham_gull said:
kerio personal firewall

free

That's the baby, never cost a penny and never let me down in the two plus years it's been on, automatic upgrades etc. What with that and the free AVG virus checker it's a Bullseye!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
If you've got a router firewall, or the Windows firewall, DO NOT use another one. NEVER have two running, as it'll often stop you being able to do legitimate stuff, like download in your browser...

I can do that no problem with another firewall running, Norton works just fine...bastard time trial crap :angry: ;)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
CrabtreeBHA said:
I can do that no problem with another firewall running, Norton works just fine...bastard time trial crap :angry: ;)

Its still a retardedly stupid thing to do. One firewall will ALWAYS work to counteract the other. If they're both software, they can SERIOUSLY screw up Window's TCP/IP stack.

You don't use two condoms, do you?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got me McAfee freebie firewall with AOL. And every time AOL says upgrade now to our new superduper improved network the whole PC falls in a heap. Pah! :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here