Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does a Swegway do??

What about mobility scooters and electric bikes? I have also seen segways with handlebars and power assisted scooters and skateboards in my time as well.

Mobility Scooters that are capable of travelling between 4 and 8 mph have to be registered with the DVLA, before they can be used on the roads. If the maximum speed is 4 mph or less, or they travel at 4 mph or less, they can't be used on the road.

Electric bikes (or tandems or trikes) have to comply with a whole set of Type Approval and Use regulations and can only be driven on the road by cyclists over the age of 14.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mobility Scooters that are capable of travelling between 4 and 8 mph have to be registered with the DVLA, before they can be used on the roads. If the maximum speed is 4 mph or less, or they travel at 4 mph or less, they can't be used on the road.

Electric bikes (or tandems or trikes) have to comply with a whole set of Type Approval and Use regulations and can only be driven on the road by cyclists over the age of 14.

I doubt anyone wants to use one on the road. The point is that the police say that they are illegal on pavements too, and by this reckoning so should all of the other electric 'vehicles' that you mention be.

Which would, of course, be stupid.

Well that's just utter crap. From the CPS:
The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as "a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".

Although this is the legal definition, ultimately it is a matter of fact and degree for a court to interpret as to whether or not a vehicle is a motor vehicle at the time of the incident.

The term mechanically propelled vehicle is not defined in the Road Traffic Acts. It is ultimately a matter of fact and degree for the court to decide. At its most basic level it is a vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means. It can include both electrically and steam powered vehicles.

Intended or adapted for use on roadsis also not defined by statute and again ultimately a matter for the court to decide based on the evidence before it.

You're right to say that it is not up to the Police to decide what is legal. You're equally right to say that it is up to the Courts. Or, for that matter, Parliament.

I doubt anyone wants to use one on the road. The point is that the police say that they are illegal on pavements too, and by this reckoning so should all of the other electric 'vehicles' that you mention be.

Which would, of course, be stupid.

The use of Mobility Scooters on pavements and footways (and roads) is governed by a whole set of regulations that are controlled by the DVLA.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Drones do worry me, in the wrong hands they could do a lot of damage at airports or events packed with people.
There is that for sure, and must be giving our anti terrorist people headaches.

Then you just have the cheap chinese junk in the hands of idiots that simply fall out of the sky or simply driven into things.

I'm expecting a raft of new laws

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The use of Mobility Scooters on pavements and footways (and roads) is governed by a whole set of regulations that are controlled by the DVLA.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

It would just be nice if people's philosophy was more along the lines of "live and let live," rather than "you can't do that!"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, I'm 33, and clearly losing touch fast - although I have never claimed to be "down with the kids". But what the hell is this that's being advertised on NSC? I fancy my chances on a hoverboard but this looks like a scooter with its handlebars nicked???

View attachment 70136

I've no idea, but I notice that that particular one is an 'Official i'....which I suspect means it's lower specced than comparable segways but three times the price :shrug:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Government claim they are dangerous.

Basically is a Segway without the handlebars.

Plenty vids on YouTube was a craze around 9 months ago.

I was thinking about getting one for Christmas. I guess if it can do 10mph - 12mph I should be able to make a getaway attempt from most lardy coppers. Well at least until the battery runs out.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I just remember Usain Bolt being taken out by an uncontrolled segway
bolt.jpg

I am not keen on anything other than pedestrians on the pavement although I accept that mobility scooters are a necessity ...Bicycles? No way!

(getting grumpy in my old age )

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seen many around north london. Cant see the problem the people using them cearly dont want to be pilling into things

They look fun. Not seen one myself but I'd love to try one. I can just see me and my mates streaming out of the AMEX on these and heading in convey into Brighton.......possibly with the Key Stone cops following up.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
They look fun. Not seen one myself but I'd love to try one. I can just see me and my mates streaming out of the AMEX on these and heading in convey into Brighton.......possibly with the Key Stone cops following up.

Inebriated? You and Ernest could hold hands whislt zooming along, to support each other up just in case :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Inebriated? You and Ernest could hold hands whislt zooming along, to support each other up just in case :)

I've never met Ernest but he's welcome to join in the convey. I think he said he rides a tricycle though?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I just remember Usain Bolt being taken out by an uncontrolled segway
View attachment 70138

I am not keen on anything other than pedestrians on the pavement although I accept that mobility scooters are a necessity ...Bicycles? No way!

(getting grumpy in my old age )

Usain Bolt was knocked over? Ban them, then. Incinerate every last one.

And cyclists? Don't they know that red lights apply to them too?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its consistant with the guidance given for the original segways. i might be unfair, so ask for the law to be changed. shouldnt expect the police to "live and let live", unless we want them to turn a blind eye to all manner of other minor laws?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They will be this years 'must have' Christmas present for most teens - fact. Seem to recall the inventor of the original segway being killed recently when his machine tipped him over a cliff. They are banned in the UK but this did not stop the Green Party using one a few years back on the streets of Brighton.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
its consistant with the guidance given for the original segways. i might be unfair, so ask for the law to be changed. shouldnt expect the police to "live and let live", unless we want them to turn a blind eye to all manner of other minor laws?

They do. They often show common sense, and will let things go if nobody's getting hurt, no ones is being hassled.

They are human beings, not robots, and like those on here, they will have differing views on what is sensible, or worth bothering about.

D

Deleted User X18H

Used to run North Stand Polls lives near Hove seafront I think

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What about mobility scooters and electric bikes? I have also seen segways with handlebars and power assisted scooters and skateboards in my time as well.

Are you serious??? is that real question, you really can't see the difference between someone use a mobility scooter because they are disabled and kids using on one these hoverboard.

Having a kid hit you with one of these, the height being in line with your ankle can damage or break your ankle, if this happen to you meaning your off work for 12- 24 months with no income or redress you still think they are not a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here