Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What do your DIY skills stretch to ?

What do your skills run to ?

• Total voters

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I truly think DIY is like cooking, sports or, say, singing. Different people have different strengths - sometimes effort and will isn’t enough in any field. Just my opinion.

You could give a million lessons to the worst singers in the world and it just isn’t their strength as a person.

Some people (such as myself) just can’t do DIY. I am proud of myself with the smallest accomplishments!
Oh did I mention cooking haha. I paid out good money for chefs over the years but love cooking and baking so I used them to teach me. I'm used to cooking for large amounts of people as well. My late wife, bless her, was ok doing basic stuff like take out of wrapper put in oven but I did all the interesting stuff.

image1 (4).jpeg

Just one of my creations. In fact got to do one tomorrow for my son in laws family.

I'll give anything a go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am great at advice and useless at anything that is not very basic. My DIY work tends to end up as a bodge :down:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You’ve done a lot more than me. But as a layman I do okay.

I do know my limits though. I’ve seen many a keen bloke practically wreck their own home (and marriage) by over reaching on what they thought would be the infamous “five min job” 👍😂
I witnessed my dad doing that so I took the time to learn the correct way :ROFLMAO:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
..., just not with Vegetarian mince :lol:
😂
Honestly! I can’t even follow a recipe.
Once I tried to make a really nice Jamie Oliver recipe for the gf.

The pic in the book had fresh sardines on a bed of rice and spinach with fine chopped chili and coriander etc on it. Laid out on the table in the garden, sun shining and everyone looking happy.

Not a word of a lie, upon returning from work she just managed to get the words “what’s that smell”? out, before retching up her lunch.
She hadn’t even seen it.

It was truly revolting 🤣

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
😂
Honestly! I can’t even follow a recipe.
Once I tried to make a really nice Jamie Oliver recipe form the gf.

The pic in the book had fresh sardines on a bed of rice and spinach with fine chopped chili and coriander etc on it. Laid out on the table in the garden, sun shining and everyone looking happy.

Not a word of a lie, upon returning from work she just managed to get the words “what’s that smell”? out before retching up her lunch.
She hadn’t even seen it.

It was truly revolting 🤣
In fairness though whenever I see him cook he burns everything. It was joke in my household as my wife bought his book to help her create disasters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty useless at DIY, although improving slightly now I have more time to try to do things properly rather than quickly. Much better at cooking though. My dad, on the other hand, built a complete extension on one of our old houses single-handed. I'm sure I was a big disappointment to him.

Last edited:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Last week the extractor fan in our bathroom started making a terrible squarking noise.
Mrs Mancgull told me I had to fix it.
So after my breakfast I went upstairs with my trusty screwdriver and hammer.
I turned the fan on and miraculously the noise had gone.
Rather than admit this, I picked up my phone to look at NorthStandChat for half an hour whilst also making the occasional banging sound with the hammer.
After a good perusal of threads and the occasional comment, downstairs I went. ‘Have you fixed it?’... ‘oh yes, it was a loose part of the fan that I needed to tighten up’
So in short, yes brilliant at DIY! 😂

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've fitted several kitchens and a couple of bathrooms. I can do electrics, plumbing and carpentry. Not great at plastering or bricklaying, prefer to get a feller in for that.
My latest project at home was dividing a double garage in two with half becoming a workshop and the other half becoming a pub.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last week the extractor fan in our bathroom started making a terrible squarking noise.
Mrs Mancgull told me I had to fix it.
So after my breakfast I went upstairs with my trusty screwdriver and hammer.
I turned the fan on and miraculously the noise had gone.
Rather than admit this, I picked up my phone to look at NorthStandChat for half an hour whilst also making the occasional banging sound with the hammer.
After a good perusal of threads and the occasional comment, downstairs I went. ‘Have you fixed it?’... ‘oh yes, it was a loose part of the fan that I needed to tighten up’
So in short, yes brilliant at DIY! 😂
Years ago the CAA used to send out a monthly magazine to licensed engineers called Human Factors. The idea was it highlighted aircraft incidents worldwide that could be explained as human error. Also they would inform of trends, they wanted to clamp down on unsuitable entries into the captain log. One was firstly written by the captain " Something loose in the cockpit" obviously rattling during in flight. The engineer wrote as action taken "something tightened"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I can do everything, I can even do some things quite well.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Winston Churchill, "Here's to not buggering it up."

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is my latest bathroom refurbishment. Required plumbing, tiling, decorating, building, carpentry and some basic electrical skills

Attachments

• 20230313_090655.jpg
    20230313_090655.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230324_160745.jpg
    20230324_160745.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m visiting Eastbourne on Saturday, I will be round for a pint of orange juice and lemonade :smile:
Not going to Chelsea?

Don't know why I'm bothering really. The result is Chelsea 2 Brighton 0, VAR decided Dunk sent off for a Paddington Bear stare

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have a go at some things if only because I think "it doesn't look THAT difficult, and if so-and-so can do it, there really is no excuse", but I'm crap at DIY.

I suspect a lot is all about confidence in what you are doing.

I can rewire a plug, but anything tekkie I pay the man what knows (if I can find one).

My dad would happily rewire his house when he was alive. He always said he discovered that the main fuse in his first house was a six inch nail wrapped round with loads of copper wire. Quite how the place hadn't burnt down years before, was quite beyond him

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a new cooker hood sat it my hallway. Its been there over a week now, but I'm scared of drilling into the wall above our cooker to hang it, in case I hit a pipe. I know there are those little mini metal detector devices that find pipes behind walls, but I've not got round to getting one.

I'm scared.

I did a damn good job wallpapering and painting our living room though, all on my own, if I do sayso myself.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I like to try and tackle jobs myself, if I think it's a skill I can pick up. Up until last year I lived in flats/apartments which limited what I was able to do. Replacing light fittings, putting up shelves etc.

I bought my first house a year ago and I've been keen to get cracking into some DIY jobs. I recently built a fold down bed in my basement from scratch, which I'm very pleased with. I now own most of the woodworking power tools. The next big job will be my first attempt at building a stud wall. The main thing I'm concerned about is doing a half decent job on the plastering!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was quiite good - 30 ears ago. Nothing advanced - putting shelves up, painting, replacing and hanging doors, bit of (strictly not structural!) bricklaying. Lack the energy, drive and enthusiasm these days. By the time I've got the drill out, the ectension lead and a few other bits and pieces, I'm done for.

My biggest DIY bug bear - it is now and always was - was that I could never work out which drill bits were for wood and which were for masonry. Why can't they just colour code them or something! :mad:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
A few years ago I took out a bathroom and put in a new one, learning the basics of plumbing in the process, driven more by financial limits than any enjoyment or wish to do it. Will also do basic electrics. Most recent job completed was changing some of the pipework under the kitchen sink, again didn't enioy it but I can do it. I do enjoy fixing things though - have replaced parts on the dishwasher a few times and the washing machine. Both amazingly simple devices with cheaply replaceable parts that youtube is a real help with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here