Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What do your DIY skills stretch to ?

What do your skills run to ?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm somewhat limited in my DIY skills but being old with a toolbox that has been built up over 40 years can turn my hand to a few things. Having seeing yet another plumbing advice thread it has got me wondering. I have close Family who can just about build a house, (groundworks, bricklaying, carpentry, plumbing, plastering etc etc) but I simply stand back and look on jealously

So, where would you rate your DIY skills ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am a theatre stage manager, and horrible at DIY. @JOLovegrove

I think the key is to either get good, have mates who are good, or earn enough to pay people who are.

I can put together set pieces/ikea furniture/follow instructions doing simple tasks. But when drills and stuff are involved I get intimidated, and always f*** it up when I give it a college try.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I shouldn't be trusted with a paintbrush. Mrs GB is very handy however. We're that odd family where I do a lot of the cooking, washing, hoovering etc and she gets stuck in to repairs and the flatpack.

I can unblock loos and drains with a plunger but any more that that and we need a plumber.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In my twenties I helped my gf’s uncle on building jobs. He taught me a fair bit. We built a few extensions/summer houses among other things and I can lay a good patio, lay bricks decently etc but I wouldn’t touch electrics, gas or most plumbing jobs.

I spent a year as a maintenance man when I couldn’t find other work. I fixed a lot of toilets that year 😟 and a LOT of painting and decorating. I do a mean, free hand, straight line, no tape required even if I say so myself.

I might add that I don’t enjoy any of that kind of work and would happily pay someone else to do it if I had the money.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In my twenties I helped my gf’s uncle on building jobs. He taught me a fair bit. We built a few extensions/summer houses among other things and I can lay a good patio, lay bricks decently etc but I wouldn’t touch electrics, gas or most plumbing jobs.

I might add that I don’t enjoy any of that kind of work and would happily pay someone else to do it if I had the money.
I have a friend….

He’s a soft lad. Struggles with the blokey aspects of his job, no matter how hard he tries.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I shouldn't be trusted with a paintbrush. Mrs GB is very handy however. We're that odd family where I do a lot of the cooking, washing, hoovering etc and she gets stuck in to repairs and the flatpack.

I can unblock loos and drains with a plunger but any more that that and we need a plumber.
Exactly the same. I can cook, happy doing laundry, all that jazz. Just hopeless being asked to do anything with tools.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I refuse to vote on the grounds that there's no....I have a lump hammer, job's a good' un!.... option.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m not too shabby at plumbing, I’m nearly there after 30+ years in the trade :wink: …..never stop learning though.

I’m not really a Jack of all trades though, so wouldn’t be able to do a self build on my own.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I spent a year as a maintenance man when I couldn’t find other work. I fixed a lot of toilets that year 😟 and a LOT of painting and decorating. I do a mean, free hand, straight line, no tape required even if I say so myself.

Yes it's odd but I suppose firstly it's your exposure to practical things, my dad was a mechanic, panel beater, paint sprayer.

I was an Aircraft Engineer, ran my own pubs and then owned small holdings. Part owned an Antiques shop then went right back to engineering as a beer installation technician then trained to become a beer quality manager.

In that time I've fitted about 8 kitchens, 4 bathrooms, 3 Central heating systems, rewired 2 houses, built two extensions, a 6 bay wooden barn, a single bay barn, numerous animal shelters, 2 brick garages, 1 wooden garage, laid 4 patios and stock fenced over 80 acres of my land.

I'm loathed to pay someone silly money for something I can do, especially 5 MINUTE JOBS :ROFLMAO:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I truly think DIY is like cooking, sports or, say, singing. Different people have different strengths - sometimes effort and will isn’t enough in any field. Just my opinion.

You could give a million lessons to the worst singers in the world and it just isn’t their strength as a person.

Some people (such as myself) just can’t do DIY. I am proud of myself with the smallest accomplishments!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes it's odd but I suppose firstly it's your exposure to practical things, my dad was a mechanic, panel beater, paint sprayer.

I was an Aircraft Engineer, ran my own pubs and then owned small holdings. Part owned an Antiques shop then went right back to engineering as a beer installation technician then trained to become a beer quality manager.

In that time I've fitted about 8 kitchens, 4 bathrooms, 3 Central heating systems, rewired 2 houses, built two extensions, a 6 bay wooden barn, a single bay barn, numerous animal shelters, 2 brick garages, 1 wooden garage, laid 4 patios and stock fenced over 80 acres of my land.

I'm loathed to pay someone silly money for something I can do, especially 5 MINUTE JOBS :ROFLMAO:
You’ve done a lot more than me. But as a layman I do okay.

I do know my limits though. I’ve seen many a keen bloke practically wreck their own home (and marriage) by over reaching on what they thought would be the infamous “five min job” 👍😂

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You’ve done a lot more than me. But as a layman I do okay.

I do know my limits though. I’ve seen many a keen bloke practically wreck their own home (and marriage) by over reaching on what they thought would be the infamous “five min job” 👍😂
This.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I truly think DIY is like cooking, sports or, say, singing. Different people have different strengths - sometimes effort and will isn’t enough in any field. Just my opinion.

You could give a million lessons to the worst singers in the world and it just isn’t their strength as a person.

Some people (such as myself) just can’t do DIY. I am proud of myself with the smallest accomplishments!
I on the other hand am a bloody awful cook. I have zero interest or ability in it.
I can just about cobble together an okay bolognese.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I on the other hand am a bloody awful cook. I have zero interest or ability in it.
I can just about cobble together an okay bolognese.
But you have your strengths, like everyone does.

I would like to be good at DIY, but everything I try fails. It’s like Homer building his BBQ.

My lesson learnt is to ask people who are good at things to do the things, and do the things you’re good at yourself 😂

In theatre when I work with a crew, I look for someone with sewing skills (tabs/curtain), good DIY/joining skills, and a backup who is okay in both, as I am shit at either!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But you have your strengths, like everyone does.

I would like to be good at DIY, but everything I try fails. It’s like Homer building his BBQ.

My lesson learnt is to ask people who are good at things to do the things, and do the things you’re good at yourself 😂

In theatre when I work with a crew, I look for someone with sewing skills (tabs/curtain), good DIY/joining skills, and a backup who is okay in both, as I am shit at either!
What do you do for work? Sounds intriguing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here