Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you like most about our wonderful Tory Government?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Being reminded of my place in society, and being grateful for it, by Eton educated toffs. Lectures on economics by my betters on how we are better off than we were under Labour, and although we are borrowing more now Tories are on the right path and balancing the books.
Immigration is the root of all evil and the reason a pie and pint is so expensive at the Amex, or is that the economics of the free market?
Jeremy Corbyn is the new anti-Christ, taken over from the EEC apparently.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do you have any confidence that it is his intention to deliver it?

I almost wrote "his intention and ability...." but thought better of it. My daughter, who works in Local Government in South Wales, wrote a blog about voting and so on before the last election, and she wrote something about politicians of all parties being in politics for the right reasons, but just differing in their approach to things.

But I do find this area difficult. I just abhor ideas about the deserving and undeserving poor which seem to be not so far under the surface most of the time.

I don't like the idea of people milking the Benefits system, and I think people who are shown to defraud the Benefits system should be hammered, but at the other end of it all you have people struggling to survive when government ministers are saying that we should all be working harder and the system is doing its utmost to screw people in to the ground and avoid paying benefits to people who totally rely on them.

In the ultimate benefits sanction, which is benefits stopped for three years, I believe, what are people supposed to do if they are totally stripped of their main source of income and have a family to feed? The Black (sorry, politically incorrect, but you know what I mean) Economy? Crime? Suicide.

I know Norman Tebbit was famous for his comments many years ago about his father getting on his bike and going around until he found work, but what if you haven't got a bike, can't afford to buy one, and wouldn't know how to ride it anyway even if you had one?

Rant Over.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
It is a strange feature of those who criticise the Tory government that they invariably resort to ridiculously exaggerated comments. I think you will find that if you are genuinely deserving, and that is the point, those benefits will be there.

I rest my case
I have worked all my adult life 45 years of paying my taxes and national insurance never once in all that time claiming any benefits what so ever
I wont go into to much detail of my employment but through initially an illness and then a combination of NHS waiting followed by having to jump through a series of red tape hoops i am now thankfully returning to my employment after seven months off
How about living for seven months on £35 a WEEK (esa) employment support allowance
And then to rub salt into the wounds after two months off i needed 2 teeth extracted and as i was in receipt of e.s.a i was exempt from the £18 dental fee.. WRONG!! six weeks later i get a letter telling me i was fined £100 plus the original £18 for wrongly claiming free dental treatment, apparently i was on the wrong type of e.s.a contributions based and not earnings based.
I was 60 in May this year unfortunate on my part, because had my birthday been a mere 19 days later i would become entitled to my old age pension at 65 now i have to work another year till I'm 66, ok there are a lot who will be worse off in the coming years on that score but as i said 45 years of national insurance contributions only to have £8000 at todays rates stolen from me
And don't get me started on the free bus pass(not that i would ever use it) or indeed the winter fuel payment again entitled at the age of 60... WRONG.. those damn 19 days again, but even more annoying when i have a brother who has been getting it for five years >>> oh well "were all in this together".. WRONG ..were in it and your getting us out of it even though its in our DNA to do what were doing
ordinary working people voting Tory is like turkeys voting for Christmas

p.s
not a lefty just an ordinary middle of the road citizen

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
While I disagree with some of the current Tory policies and I find the whole "being a Tory" thing fairly reprehensible, there is till something re-assuring about their political competence in government. I have to say, on the issue of competence, when I look at the opposition benches words fail me.

I agree.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I almost wrote "his intention and ability...." but thought better of it. My daughter, who works in Local Government in South Wales, wrote a blog about voting and so on before the last election, and she wrote something about politicians of all parties being in politics for the right reasons, but just differing in their approach to things.

But I do find this area difficult. I just abhor ideas about the deserving and undeserving poor which seem to be not so far under the surface most of the time.

I don't like the idea of people milking the Benefits system, and I think people who are shown to defraud the Benefits system should be hammered, but at the other end of it all you have people struggling to survive when government ministers are saying that we should all be working harder and the system is doing its utmost to screw people in to the ground and avoid paying benefits to people who totally rely on them.

In the ultimate benefits sanction, which is benefits stopped for three years, I believe, what are people supposed to do if they are totally stripped of their main source of income and have a family to feed? The Black (sorry, politically incorrect, but you know what I mean) Economy? Crime? Suicide.

I know Norman Tebbit was famous for his comments many years ago about his father getting on his bike and going around until he found work, but what if you haven't got a bike, can't afford to buy one, and wouldn't know how to ride it anyway even if you had one?

Rant Over.

Good rant.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Is it that they are the cause of so many fascinating threads on NSC where the lefties heap abuse at everything and anyone connected with the tories.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it that they are the cause of so many fascinating threads on NSC where the lefties heap abuse at everything and anyone connected with the tories.

Have you read any of the Corbyn threads? It appears there is bi partisan support for heaping abuse :)

Just part of the rabid shit house that is party politics.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Being reminded of my place in society, and being grateful for it, by Eton educated toffs. Lectures on economics by my betters on how we are better off than we were under Labour, and although we are borrowing more now Tories are on the right path and balancing the books.
Immigration is the root of all evil and the reason a pie and pint is so expensive at the Amex, or is that the economics of the free market?
Jeremy Corbyn is the new anti-Christ, taken over from the EEC apparently.

Yeap, by the time Cameron leaves office he will put on more debt than any other government in the history of the UK. Somehow we still have room for triple lock giveaways, stamp duty give aways, inheritance tax giveaway, raising the tax free threshold and more..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't know how they got the reputation of competence. Haven't they tripled the national debt in 5 years? With George Osbourne accruing more debt than any Labour government in history, combined.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
They seem to have grasped the point that you can't spend what you can't afford.

...and still managed to increase the deficit every year since they've been back inpower.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This message had to be at least 3 characters in length so i have listed below what i like about them

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
George Osborne has created more debt than every Labour government in history

A quick look at the economic evidence reveals that only two Labour governments have ever left office leaving the national debt higher as a percentage of GDP than it was when they came to power, and all of the others have lowered it as a percentage of GDP.

On the two occasions that Labour oversaw increases in the national debt as a percentage of GDP there were the mitigating circumstances of huge global financial crises. The Ramsay MacDonald government of 1929-31 coincided with global fallout from the Wall Street Crash (they left a 12% increase in the debt to GDP ratio), and the last few years of the Blair-Brown government of 1997-2010 coincided with the 2008 financial sector insolvency crisis (they left an 11% increase). The other Labour governments all reduced the scale of the national debt, Clement Attlee's government of 1945-51 reduced the national debt by 40% of GDP despite having to rebuild the UK economy from the ruins of the Second World War; Harold Wilson's 1964-70 government reduced the national debt by 27% of GDP; and even the Wilson-Callaghan government of 1974-79 managed to reduce the debt by 4% of GDP.

The majority of Labour governments have ended up reducing the national debt, and the two that didn't happened to coincide with the biggest global financial crisis of the 20th Century and the biggest global financial crisis so far in the 21st Century.

When we come to look at George Osborne's own record as Chancellor of the Exchequer it is an established fact that in his first 3 years as Chancellor, Osborne managed to add more to the national debt than the Labour Party did in the 13 preceding years.

By George Osborne's own estimates, the national debt will have grown by 26.9% of GDP between 2010 and 2015. If you want to check this for yourself, have a look at page 19 of the November 2010 OBR Economic and Fiscal Outlook which records the debt to GDP ratio as 53.5% of GDP for 2009-10, and page 20 of the December 2014 OBR Economic and Fiscal Outlook which records the debt to GDP ratio for 2014-15 as being 80.4%.

In the last 200 years of economic history there have only been three prolonged periods of debt accumulation worse than George Osborne's tenure as Chancellor of the Exchequer: The First World War (+110% of GDP), the Second World War (+100% of GDP) and the tenure of Tory Chancellor Nicholas Vansittart 1812-1823 (+64% of GDP).
Having increased public sector debt by 26.9% in five years, George Osborne has undeniably created more new debt than any single Labour government in history ever has. In fact it's a bigger proportional increase in the national debt than all of the Labour governments in history combined.

Copied and pasted from unknown source. I'm afraid.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
They are blessed with luck and fairly good support by the media on their economic policy. Labour naively allowed immigration and bankers to get out of control. The Tories have yet to deal with the problem and are still overspending, rewarding bankers for failing and allowing 300k more people per annum [officially] net onto this small island. They have less excuses for their incompetence than Labour but are winning the perception/deception game.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Have you read any of the Corbyn threads? It appears there is bi partisan support for heaping abuse :)

Just part of the rabid shit house that is party politics.

TBH No I haven't, but I usually see much more venomous comments aimed at the Tories than Labour

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My own situation is one of extreme comfort relative to 99% of the people on this planet. I judge you on what you say on here and it comes across as extremely complacent. Do you really know details about the effects of Tory benefit cuts on needy people in this country or are you just making assertions and cheering on the blue team regardless?

On the issue of looking after the most disadvantaged in our society I don't trust Cameron, Osborne, and the rest of their over-privileged cronies, as far as I could throw Fatty Soames. This is an entirely rational position based on the available evidence.

My friend, we all make judgements based on what evidence we see. I am not able to make a huge judgement on the needy, any more than you are, which is why I state that each case should be judged on its merits - some will be thoroughly deservous of state support, and some will have been plain irresponsible. Is that not common sense?
You might not trust Cameron etc, but as to whether this is an entirely rational position etc, as you claim - I would suggest that it is your position based on what you want to believe and the evidence that you then seek out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I didn't vote for them, (even though I drive a Range Rover and read the FT) but they have been given a mandate under our election system to govern, applying their policies and beliefs, for the first time since 1997, so they should be allowed to govern.

Cameron has an opportunity to leave a political legacy, but instead the focus has been on petty point scoring against anyone those they believed were critical of them during the coalition (Unions, BBC, Doctors), manipulation of existing rules and the electoral system and current rules (Fox hunting, Grammar schools), ignoring of key domestic economic issues such as transport, infrastructure, housing, health, social mobility and education, as well as international ones (what is our position on Assad?), spiteful infighting (Gove v May v Hammond this week over the Saudi contract), positioning to take over from Cameron overriding macroeconomic needs (May with her 'No Muslims, No Lithuanians, No Dogs' speech to conference last week), and a lost opportunity to rebalance some of the social and financial inequality that exists in society today (withdrawal of benefits for the underclasses whilst tax cuts for the wealthiest).

I honestly thought that Cameron had a shred of decency about him, I always had time for the likes of Heseltine and to a lesser extent Major as Tories who did care about the greater good of the nation. He has shown little leadership, and could have done far more.

This government have been a huge disappointment, frittering away their position of responsibility and showing a lack of awareness, responsibility and care, safe in the knowledge that Labour are a shambles, Lib Dems live in a telephone box, UKIP are in a civil war and the SNP are spending their newly acquired political funds on ermine and Irn-Bru. As a consequence there is no opposition to call them to account, to debate the merits of policy, to question the official version.

They didn't expect to win in May, but having done so, instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to build a better nation they have behaved like a lottery winner spunking their good fortune on hookers on cocaine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't vote for them, (even though I drive a Range Rover and read the FT) but they have been given a mandate under our election system to govern, applying their policies and beliefs, for the first time since 1997, so they should be allowed to govern.

Cameron has an opportunity to leave a political legacy, but instead the focus has been on petty point scoring against anyone those they believed were critical of them during the coalition (Unions, BBC, Doctors), manipulation of existing rules and the electoral system and current rules (Fox hunting, Grammar schools), ignoring of key domestic economic issues such as transport, infrastructure, housing, health, social mobility and education, as well as international ones (what is our position on Assad?), spiteful infighting (Gove v May v Hammond this week over the Saudi contract), positioning to take over from Cameron overriding macroeconomic needs (May with her 'No Muslims, No Lithuanians, No Dogs' speech to conference last week), and a lost opportunity to rebalance some of the social and financial inequality that exists in society today (withdrawal of benefits for the underclasses whilst tax cuts for the wealthiest).

I honestly thought that Cameron had a shred of decency about him, I always had time for the likes of Heseltine and to a lesser extent Major as Tories who did care about the greater good of the nation. He has shown little leadership, and could have done far more.

This government have been a huge disappointment, frittering away their position of responsibility and showing a lack of awareness, responsibility and care, safe in the knowledge that Labour are a shambles, Lib Dems live in a telephone box, UKIP are in a civil war and the SNP are spending their newly acquired political funds on ermine and Irn-Bru. As a consequence there is no opposition to call them to account, to debate the merits of policy, to question the official version.

They didn't expect to win in May, but having done so, instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to build a better nation they have behaved like a lottery winner spunking their good fortune on hookers on cocaine.

If that's your "like most" list, I'd be interested to see where you're less keen.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I predict it will inspire the British people to demand a more fair and progressive society.

A prediction which has been, is, and will be true. When it comes to the next election though you will still get a Tory government, just like last time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here