Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do they ask football managers in interviews?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How do you know it was bog standard?

I suggest that Dyche used all manner of fancy Dan effects to transition from slide to slide, and it was this that truly wowed the Burnley board.

I would laugh, but I have no wish to be accused of sycophancy.

(Do you reckon it was when he introduced them to the futuristic new concept of "t'internet" that they were really blown away?)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In our case, it'll be can you take orders from David Burke and let him talk to you like a pratt?

What the frigging hell has this bloke got on our Tone?

What exactly is your problem with Burke? And don't just reply with a small list of players that haven't been a success unless you also include a list of those that have been a success!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I always imagined it along the lines of the interviewer outlining their vision for the club and the budget they believe it'll take for it to happen. After that the applicant would respond to what's been suggested whilst presenting themselves however they see fit.

I'm always surprised when a manager is praised for his interview/the research they put into it beforehand. Surely that's an expected quality for the position in the first place?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
What exactly is your problem with Burke? And don't just reply with a small list of players that haven't been a success unless you also include a list of those that have been a success!

I won't 'just' reply with a list of players that haven't been a success because that has sod all to do with it.

The bloke is vehemently disliked by a number of good people in the game that know more about football in their little fingers than he ever will.

This is not 'just' people at the club but unfortunately is now starting to spread further afield.

His reputation is starting to precede him, which is not good for us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Oscar arrived with a breakdown of the teams strength and weaknesses.
What's required to gain promotion.
A dossier on each player containing how each one can be improved.

By the end of it, he was interviewing the club.

I would ask:

"You have taken over as PM on a project that is behind schedule and over budget. What will you do to recover the situation?"

Describe how you have undertaken the practical application of a project methodology for a programme or project?
Use a specific or generic examples of areas of methodology e.g. operation of the 4-3-3 or Capello's version of the 4-4-2? or something along those lines.
Or Danish training/attacking tactics methods? Or whatever the management think they know about and don't? Looking for that extra edge on the opponents. Something different, not the tired same old thing.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I would ask:

"You have taken over as PM on a project that is behind schedule and over budget. What will you do to recover the situation?"

Describe how you have undertaken the practical application of a project methodology for a programme or project?
Use a specific or generic examples of areas of methodology e.g. operation of the 4-3-3 or Capello's version of the 4-4-2? or something along those lines.
Or Danish training/attacking tactics methods? Or whatever the management think they know about and don't? Looking for that extra edge on the opponents. Something different, not the tired same old thing.

What, in Spanish?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I won't 'just' reply with a list of players that haven't been a success because that has sod all to do with it.

The bloke is vehemently disliked by a number of good people in the game that know more about football in their little fingers than he ever will.

This is not 'just' people at the club but unfortunately is now starting to spread further afield.

Well I have no way of knowing if that is true as I haven't a clue as to whether you are genuinely in the know.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

How do you know this? I'm not necessarily doubting what you say, but Burke comes in for so much stick on here from people who literally have no idea what he does or how he does it, they just completely make it up because they feel they need someone to blame (quite what for, after two play-off finishes in two seasons, I have no idea). I had a long chat with him on the way back from Forest and I thought he came across as a nice guy who really knew his stuff. That doesn't mean he's necessarily any good at his job, but I'm interested to know where your information comes from because if it is genuinely true then we have a problem.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I hope they are asked the old nutshell "What are your hobbies?" I once turned up for a job interview and after about two minutes realised they were an absolute shambles and I didn't want the job. I waitied for the "hobbies" question and said "Basically, I like a drink. No, several. When I'm not working I drink and that's it". Unbelievably they gave me the job. I've been driver for the Al-Fayed family ever since.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Sauce?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
How do you know this? I'm not necessarily doubting what you say, but Burke comes in for so much stick on here from people who literally have no idea what he does or how he does it, they just completely make it up because they feel they need someone to blame (quite what for, after two play-off finishes in two seasons, I have no idea). I had a long chat with him on the way back from Forest and I thought he came across as a nice guy who really knew his stuff. That doesn't mean he's necessarily any good at his job, but I'm interested to know where your information comes from because if it is genuinely true then we have a problem.

Obviously I'm not going to say where from!

As I said previously though, his reputation is starting to precede him, and I'll stand by that on all of my 42 years of supporting The Albion.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Obviously I'm not going to say where from!

As I said previously though, his reputation is starting to precede him, and I'll stand by that on all of my 42 years of supporting The Albion.

You do realise that the length of time that you've supported the Albion (or for that matter, have posted on NSC) bears absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the veracity of your assertions or, come to that, the state of your mental health?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
You do realise that the length of time that you've supported the Albion (or for that matter, have posted on NSC) bears absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the veracity of your assertions or, come to that, the state of your mental health?

Very good, especially about my mental health!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wolf in the Door

It all sounds like Gordon Brown? No good in Human Resources (and what else is a football club?).

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
TB: - Dooo yoooo speeeek eeennglishhhh?

Interviewee: - Yes of course young man, fluently, I have spent a lifetime in English football and know how to get teams into the top division without fail...

TB: - Feck orf, we don't want your sort here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here