Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did the ref say to Colunga as he left the pitch???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You are still wrong though as the video proves.

The video proves nothing at all, you can't see what he said and neither can I. It does show the ref standing by the player, not holding the whistle in the air as you had said.

Find me the law - with exact wording that you can be cautioned for it. 'Delaying the restart' won't fit it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The video proves nothing at all, you can't see what he said and neither can I. It does show the ref standing by the player, not holding the whistle in the air as you had said.

Find me the law - with exact wording that you can be cautioned for it. 'Delaying the restart' won't fit it.

The ref held the whistle in the air prior to the clip you can see (i.e the replay). When he first went to where the foul happened he raised his whistle and pointed to it with the other hand, in doing so he looked around one of the Fulham players to make sure the keeper saw it. He proceeded to wave away a few Fulham protests and instructed them to retreat.

If you are telling me there were words spoken between the taking of the kick and him reaching for his card, Jesus you are a madman.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure he gave him the yellow for taking it to quickly that's what I thought at the time anyway, whether he made a mistake in booking him for that I'm not certain.

I've actually personally been booked before for trying to take one too quickly just as the referee said wait, another thing i've also noticed we never seem to be allowed to take quick free kicks, nearly always get pulled back by the ref

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The video proves nothing at all, you can't see what he said and neither can I.

He goes for his card immediately, before Colunga could have said anything.

As the other clip on this thread shows, there have been other instances of refs booking players for taking free kicks too early, so you insistence that no ref would ever do this is clearly nonsense. Unfortunately you are displaying all the usual arrogance that makes so many of your fellow football officials so disliked.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that everybody bar 1 person has agreed the ref indicated for him to wait for the whistle to take the kick , he didnt so got a yellow card, what is the problem. If the ref was wrong I am sure SH would have said something in his interview or did WA during the commentary.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think that everybody bar 1 person has agreed the ref indicated for him to wait for the whistle to take the kick , he didnt so got a yellow card, what is the problem. If the ref was wrong I am sure SH would have said something in his interview or did WA during the commentary.

Yellow card for unsporting behaviour. If Sami had said something in his post match interview about the ref's decision he would be facing a charge from the FA because referees don't make mistakes :lol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My impression was that he got booked for dissent after the referee pulled them back, not for taking the free-kick early.

Altogether interesting as I thought the referee put his arm up to indicate an indirect free kick, and then Colunga took it. Seemed fair to me. Except is was a blatant foul and should have been a direct free kick!

Colunga's English may not yet be up to the mark?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I scored a free kick once, in a Sunday League game, rolling it softly into the corner, while the keeper was hugging the other post, lining his wall up. I asked the ref first - can I take this now?

It was quite funny. The opposition didn't really seem to see the joke though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was the best free kick all afternoon.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I do think (as an ex-referee myself) that this fannying about to get the wall back has gone too far and certainly disadvantages the team who have been awarded the free-kick.

I used to ask the attacking team whether they wanted the wall back or "take it now". If they elected for the latter then I would just shout "go on" (there is NO requirement for the whistle to be blown to re-start play) and the free-kick would be taken. IF they slammed it into the wall that was only five yards away....tough! They had the option to take it quickly or wait until I had the wall back ten yards.

No player, manager or assessor criticised my methods; I did it every game for both sides. It gave the attacking side an advantage that they don't have once the offending side has the time and opportunity to get 11 men behind the ball and the keeper has constructed a wall.

But we all know "Hoops" is a complete twunk.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Altogether interesting as I thought the referee put his arm up to indicate an indirect free kick, and then Colunga took it. Seemed fair to me. Except is was a blatant foul and should have been a direct free kick!

Colunga's English may not yet be up to the mark?

He put his hand up to show everyone his whistle. A point I have raised in many posts. If it was indirect he would have kept his hand up. Colunga was simply booked for taking before his whistle.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Who cares whether the first yellow should have been awarded.. Colunga was a f***ing idiot for purposely tripping the Fulham player to earn him the second yellow..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here