What did the ref say to Colunga as he left the pitch???

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Apparently it needs to be explicitly stated that I mean some proof that shows yesterday's decision was right, and not a mistake by the ref.

Two years ago Chris Kamara was ranting every other week about the latest handball penalty. This season he is regularly talking about how hard it is to get a penalty for handball because the advice to referees over what constitutes 'deliberate handling' with respect to penalties has changed.

Laws change, they are updated, tweaked, dropped, introduced, etc. The current laws of the game (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/foo...7_06_2014_new--lawsofthegameweben_neutral.pdf) list these offences for 'unsporting behaviour'

Cautions for unsporting behaviour
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for
unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:
• commits in a reckless manner one of the seven offences that incur a direct
free kick
• commits a foul for the tactical purpose of interfering with or breaking up a
promising attack
• holds an opponent for the tactical purpose of pulling the opponent away
from the ball or preventing the opponent from getting to the ball
• handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession or developing
an attack (other than the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
• handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (irrespective of whether or
not the attempt is successful).
• attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have
been fouled (simulation)
• changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s
permission
• acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game
• plays the ball when he is walking off the fi eld of play after being granted
permission to leave the fi eld of play
• verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart
• makes unauthorised marks on the fi eld of play
• uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own
goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law,
irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or
not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent
both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect
free kick
• uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper to circumvent
the Law while he is taking a free kick (after the player is cautioned, the free
kick must be retaken)

There is nothing in the current laws of the game - the ones that yesterday's games were played under - that says taking a free kick quickly is a cautionable offence.

That previous referees have in years gone by does not mean yesterday's ref was right (or even that they were, we've seen goals given when the ball goes out for a goal kick, doesn't mean that's a legitimate way to score).

Acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game. That will do. Covers a multitude.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game. That will do. Covers a multitude.

Wanting to get on with the game in a manner that is commonly accepted (quick free kicks are perfectly legal in the game) isn't showing a lack of respect for it.

Using that in this instance is a stretch for the ref to cover his own arse for getting it wrong.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What are you on about. It hasn't changed. We used round balls two years ago. Still do I believe.

Seeing as you are sticking by old and outdated rules i guess you'd expect the following to also be true: goalkeepers can pick up backpasses without being penalised, that you are unable to have any subs even if a player goes off injured meaning that team has to carry on with 10, that goalkeepers can't move until the ball is kicked during a penalty and that you only get 2 points for a win? - or have these laws been changed in the same way that the laws now say that you don't book a player for taking a free kick too quickly?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

So we can agree he was cautioned for unsporting behavior - and not this I took the free kick too fast thing?

Referees have codes to input on their match report after the game. Unsporting behavior showing 'showing dissent by word or action' is what he was cautioned for.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So we can agree he was cautioned for unsporting behavior - and not this I took the free kick too fast thing?

Referees have codes to input on their match report after the game. Unsporting behavior showing 'showing dissent by word or action' is what he was cautioned for.

Dissent and Unsporting Behaviour are two different (cautionable) offences.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was told to allow quick free kicks. The whistle doesn't have to be blown.

As far as I knew you have to ask the ref,"can I take it ".
I remember this debate a few years ago when Thiery Henry took a quick one that caught everyone out. We did the same at an away game with Zamora and Brooker somewhere live on Sky. Might have been Reading.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seeing as you are sticking by old and outdated rules i guess you'd expect the following to also be true: goalkeepers can pick up backpasses without being penalised, that you are unable to have any subs even if a player goes off injured meaning that team has to carry on with 10, that goalkeepers can't move until the ball is kicked during a penalty and that you only get 2 points for a win? - or have these laws been changed in the same way that the laws now say that you don't book a player for taking a free kick too quickly?

Don't be stupid. Of course laws of the game change. Where does it say this one has? In the last 2 years I've shown that its a booking and as one was given yesterday it appears it remains the case.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No he booked straight away

Yes, you're right - as seen on the extended highlights here (from 12'40 in). The replay at 13'30 clearly shows the ref goes straight for his card (so much for the 'refs would never book a player for taking a free kick early' theory).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure we ever looked like we could win it, even when we took the lead. If Fulham had taken their chances as they carved us open, almost at will, they would have run out easier winners. We wer good for 10 mins, Fulham were the better team for the rest of the game imo.

We have been the for the taking in just about every game this season, the number of soft goals we concede is embarrassing but everyone concentrates on the worldies or lucky ones, which are few and far between.

Perhaps i should have worded it better.....we were capable of beating Fulham who aren't that special...anyway i meant something like that ...cerrtainly we as good as gave them there first goal...got our noses in front and just switched off

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, you're right - as seen on the extended highlights here (from 12'40 in). The replay at 13'30 clearly shows the ref goes straight for his card (so much for the 'refs would never book a player for taking a free kick early' theory).

I thank you. Be nice for a few to back their arguments up like I've done and you have done for me. Happy days.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This. It was because he would've said something to the referee. And from what I saw, I didn't see Simon Hooper even approach the Albion players and tell them to wait for the whistle, that's why they got frustrated.

The ref was Simon Hooper? Is that 'Hoops', Bournemouth's favourite, the one who gave the most outrageous penalty of recent times, when Calde made a superb tackle last season (against, amazingly, Bournemouth)?

It has to be wrong that the laws disadvantage the team wronged by being fouled. We had a free kick, and should have been able to take it when it suited us. If the ref was correct, then the laws need to be changed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You must make a great ref. He took the sodding thing before the ref was ready and got booked for that action of unsporting behaviour. If he hadn't of taken the sodding thing no unsporting behaviour would have taken place for the ref to book him for unsporting behaviour whilst clearly explaining to him the reasons for the booking.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The ref was Simon Hooper? Is that 'Hoops', Bournemouth's favourite, the one who gave the most outrageous penalty of recent times, when Calde made a superb tackle last season (against, amazingly, Bournemouth)?

It has to be wrong that the laws disadvantage the team wronged by being fouled. We had a free kick, and should have been able to take it when it suited us. If the ref was correct, then the laws need to be changed.

We could have done if we had taken it straight away but didn't. The ref then proceeded to show all those around him his whistle, thus indicating that the freekick would be taken when he was ready.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You must make a great ref. He took the sodding thing before the ref was ready and got booked for that action of unsporting behaviour. If he hadn't of taken the sodding thing no unsporting behaviour would have taken place for the ref to book him for unsporting behaviour whilst clearly explaining to him the reasons for the booking.

I think I do. Having reffed at some football league grounds myself I can't be that bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports