Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could possibly happen for Murray NOT to win the SPOTY 2013?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Quite, I can just picture his acceptance speech, dour unsmiling monotonous drone to send anyone to sleep. Played well today but deffo not an ounce of personality.

Which would be an issue if he was making his living as an after-dinner speaker or a comedian. But seeing as how he is a tennis player, it isn't. Not that your appraisal is a particularly accurate one, in any event.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why does it have to come to England at all when it is the Tour of France not Europe, sorry cannot stand bike riders either competitive or for pleasure going up Ditchling Beacon or diving in and out of traffic in a town.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
mo farah winning the 5000 and 10000 in the world championships and breaking the world records at the same time ?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Which would be an issue if he was making his living as an after-dinner speaker or a comedian. But seeing as how he is a tennis player, it isn't. Not that your appraisal is a particularly accurate one, in any event.

I think it's perfectly accurate. The Award is for "sports personality" however rarely does anyone with much of a personality win it, it ought to be renamed sportsperson of the year as that would be more accurate and Murray would be a good bet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's more to 'personality' than charisma and one-liners. Anyone who watched that final game of the tennis today, knows that Andy Murray has personality in abundance.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think it's perfectly accurate. The Award is for "sports personality" however rarely does anyone with much of a personality win it, it ought to be renamed sportsperson of the year as that would be more accurate and Murray would be a good bet.

It's not his fault that the BBC could do with renaming the award just to prevent wannabe comedians and nit-pickers having their annual fix of frivolous negativity. Amazing how some people always find a raincloud in what appears to be a clear, royal blue sky.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why does it have to come to England at all when it is the Tour of France not Europe, sorry cannot stand bike riders either competitive or for pleasure going up Ditchling Beacon or diving in and out of traffic in a town.

Why not? The event is older than you (remarkable), but nothing stipulates that it can't alter it's course to spread the interest and provide an opportunity for someone to see it live when they might not be able to otherwise?

How many times have you had a run in with a bad cyclist? You admit you drive whenever you leave the house, so I imagine it would be minimal.

Don't let your embedded dislike of cyclists lead you to be so disparaging towards such a popular sport.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

The Tour De France tends to have one stage that takes place in another country most years. It went to Belgium last year, for instance. This year it hasn't gone to another country, but there was a stage that took place in Corsica. It's just part of the tradition of the race.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It's not his fault that the BBC could do with renaming the award just to prevent wannabe comedians and nit-pickers having their annual fix of frivolous negativity. Amazing how some people always find a raincloud in what appears to be a clear, royal blue sky.

It might be your clear royal blue sky, it's not mine.

Jimmy Grimble

It shouldn't have, but Frutos' comment did very nearly make me spit my drink out knowing that he made it in an oblivious stat of mind :down:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You know you are the traffic which will encourage them to dive in and out? Have you never taken a quicker route or do you want patiently?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Justin Rose won The Open and the USPGA he'd still finish second to Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here