Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What can you buy for £14?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from the 1901 Club where you could spend £14 on the sort of meal that one's mother usually cooked for tea on washing day, hungry punters in the rest of the stadium would be challenged to find enough grub to spend £4 on. It really shouldn't take 85 minutes to track down a pie. Or most of half time to serve a queue of no more than 10 people with a pint of Harveys. Clearly the club is going for some sort of Epic Failures on the Catering Front Award.

The only way the club will be able to make some kind of meaningful contribution to the bottom line is by opening up the vast unused tarmac acres outside of the concourses. They've managed to sneak in a few utterly superfluous club merchandise shacks (with the club merchandise hypermarket about fifty metres away). Why on earth can't they use the vast unused tarmec acres to sell food that punters want to eat. There's a thriving cottage industry of burger n chip stalls down by Falmer station, that's the catering model the club need to be following IMHO. Reckon most folk would buy some kind of beer/scoff at half-time given the opportunity to do so, but the current set-up just means a crap queue that you won't reach the front of at half-time without missing a big chunk of the game. OK, its not easy serving 30,000 people with food n drink in a 20 minute window, but its probably not beyond the wit of mankind either tho eh?

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
£14 seems pretty cheap to eat in a nice restaurant at a desirable location.

Those moaning at the price do know it isn't compulsory don't they?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Well for £12 you could have this,

IMAG0046.jpg

This was the burger option. All very strange as I had to order it from the bar and it didn't appear for a good ten minutes by which time it was getting cold. I was asked if I wanted onion rings or chips when it clearly says both on the menu and that's what I got. There were 12 chips of various sizes, a bit of coleslaw behind the bun, 4 onion rings and a pot of tomato relish. The gherkin you get was finely chopped.

Taste wise, apart from being cold, I would describe as adequate. However for £12 it was a bit of a joke, (al-right £10.80 after my cash back), and it couldn't have been worth more than about a fiver. I also dislike those wooden platters they serve it on as I don't think there particularly hygienic either.

During the second half of the match I had some indigestion, but that might have been down to the ref rather than the burger.

Will I partake again, NOPE.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
people know it isn't compulsory, and therefore aren't buying it

i think that's the point

I think the spell has been broken whereby fans felt they were being in some way disloyal to the club by not shelling out whatever was asked. People are now looking at prices much more objectively. Got no problem with the pie'n'pint prices which seem to me pretty reasonable value, but some of these 1901 prices are frankly laughable.

Oct 25, 2003
I think the spell has been broken whereby fans felt they were being in some way disloyal to the club by not shelling out whatever was asked. People are now looking at prices much more objectively. Got no problem with the pie'n'pint prices which seem to me pretty reasonable value, but some of these 1901 prices are frankly laughable.

agree, the club are really messing up a potentially ideal scenario here. They have thousands of people as a captive audience of a regular basis, most of whom have an instilled element of loyalty to the club, and, to a certain extent are probably willing to pay slightly over the odds for something decent. The club seem to have really pushed their luck too far and are now absolutely taking the piss....all they're doing is pushing people away. Once you push people away it's that bit more difficult to get them back.

It's such a good opportunity and they're completely wasting it...the sad thing is it simply doesn't need to happen. On paper it seems SO simple to get even just a little bit right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here