[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald.

I really don't understand why it's considered as one of the greatest works of American literature.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Is 'Angry White Pyjamas' about Robert Twigger about living in Japan and progressing through a martial arts (karate?) school there? It was several years ago but recall it was light reading and enjoyable for the cultural differences. On the basis of that I then read his book about capturing a huge anaconda but didn't find that as interesting.

That's it. Oh well I'll give it a try and I have Penguins stopped play in reserve.

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Two great books of old which I've re-read many times and will again after watching last night's programme on McCullin.

Edward Behr..."Anyone here been raped and speaks English?"

Philip Caputo...Delcorso's Gallery

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald.

I really don't understand why it's considered as one of the greatest works of American literature.

It is an absorbing piece of literature that, once the context is taken into account, the content is exquisite. It provides a critique of the 'American dream' written in a style that forms a near perfect piece of prose. In my top ten for sure.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde

I can't work out at the moment if I like or if if it is just written to give him a chance to say clever witty and insightful things. Either way it has me gripped.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Numbers Game: Everything you know about Football is Wrong by Chris Anderson and David Sally.

Shows why Upson signing will be important!

Is this book good? I have been toying with the idea of trying it but not sure I want football boiled down to numbers and statistics.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I've 'read' about 137 pages of Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, and have taken 0% in. I just can't make head nor tail of it, possibly due to brain-hemisphere complications ??? Will stick to the pulp fiction :)

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Filled a dreadful gap in my reading history by consuming Iain Banks's The Wasp Factory earlier this week. Tremendous first novel by anyone's standards.

After ambling out of the CAMRA tent yesterday at Ardingly, subsequently nearly getting run over by a model steam engine and walking into a spooky wood later with a long line of trees and a ruined bridge, have just bought 'Walking Disused Railways of Sussex' in Waterstones. Might conjure up journeys of rumbling steam trains whilst I walk through them later...

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finished reading Sale of the Century: The Inside Story of the Second Revolution by Chrystia Freeland - a good read about how the Oligarchs got so rich from the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Just about to start A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
After ambling out of the CAMRA tent yesterday at Ardingly, subsequently nearly getting run over by a model steam engine and walking into a spooky wood later with a long line of trees and a ruined bridge, have just bought 'Walking Disused Railways of Sussex' in Waterstones. Might conjure up journeys of rumbling steam trains whilst I walk through them later...

I hope you took your copy of Things to do before you are fifty to a charity shop, now you have outgrown it :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Charly Wegelius - Domestique - The true life ups and downs of a tour pro.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Actually, War & Peace, never read it and 38p on Kindle.....so here goes.

Simon Hoggart, House of Fun - 20 Glorious Years in Parliament.

The Introduction has a quote that sets the tone:-

Bill Stone was a northern Labour MP for a mining seat. He had miner's lung and spent his days drinking pints of Federation ale in the Strangers' Bar. He almost never spoke in the Commons, or tabled questions, but he always voted as he was bidden. Once he was earwigging a conversation at the bar. Someone said, referring to the Commons, "The trouble with this place is that it's full of c---s!"
Bill took a swig of his beer, put the glass down, wiped the froth from his lip and said, "They's plenty of c---s in t'country. And they deserve some representation".
I cannot think of a better definition of a parliamentary democracy.

Hoggart justifies the use of the 'c' word on the simple grounds that he told the story at a tennis club in Frinton-on-Sea, "ground zero for British gentilty", and nobody walked out.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Simon Hoggart, House of Fun - 20 Glorious Years in Parliament.

The Introduction has a quote that sets the tone:-

Bill Stone was a northern Labour MP for a mining seat. He had miner's lung and spent his days drinking pints of Federation ale in the Strangers' Bar. He almost never spoke in the Commons, or tabled questions, but he always voted as he was bidden. Once he was earwigging a conversation at the bar. Someone said, referring to the Commons, "The trouble with this place is that it's full of c---s!"
Bill took a swig of his beer, put the glass down, wiped the froth from his lip and said, "They's plenty of c---s in t'country. And they deserve some representation".
I cannot think of a better definition of a parliamentary democracy.

Hoggart justifies the use of the 'c' word on the simple grounds that he told the story at a tennis club in Frinton-on-Sea, "ground zero for British gentilty", and nobody walked out.

It's worth buying the Grauniad just for Simon Hoggart's sketch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports