Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

feller

N00b
Aug 13, 2011
Cambridgeshire
Empire Of Pain- by Patrick Radden Keefe. A great read about the history of the Sackler family, who own the pharmaceutical company which produce Oxycontin which is largely responsible for the opioid crisis in USA.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Battle for Room Service - Mark Lawson

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
A Massacre in Mexico - Anabel Hernández

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tibetan Foothold - Dervla Murphy

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Emperor - Colin Thubron

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
having a change from thrillers and crime mysteries and reading The Traitor Of Colditz by Robert Verkaik.

Its absolutely brilliant. Written like a story, not like a textbook, but all factual, it really is a brilliant read. Lots of stuff in this book I'd never heard of, and the level of research is evident throughout. Highly recommended.

I'm now going to have to seek out the old BBCTV series "Colditz" again.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Great Circle.

It's a novel containing two stories separated by most of a century. The first about the life of a young woman yearning to become a pilot in inter-war USA, is great. The second set in near contemporary Hollywood, not so much. Overall so far well worth the effort.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall - Paul Torday

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'Little Bird of Auschwitz' by Alina and Jacques Petetti.
Of the 26,564 books I've read on the Holocaust, this is possibly the best. Ends with the Covid 19 pandemic in London, dementia and a tear in my eye. Beautifully written.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
having a change from thrillers and crime mysteries and reading The Traitor Of Colditz by Robert Verkaik.

Its absolutely brilliant. Written like a story, not like a textbook, but all factual, it really is a brilliant read. Lots of stuff in this book I'd never heard of, and the level of research is evident throughout. Highly recommended.

I'm now going to have to seek out the old BBCTV series "Colditz" again.
I'm going to buy that one. Thanks Barry. I love that sort of stuff.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Return to Tibet - Heinrich Harrer

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
In Perfect Harmony, (singalong pop in ‘70s Britain) - Will Hodgkinson.
Apparently Darts were r’n’r animals who could out Motorhead Motorhead.
I think I remember a TOTP performance where one of the band wore a Brighton scarf.

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Dan hegalty ? Was in darts and from Shoreham I think.
In the book it mentions a Spanish TV special broadcast live to 7 million. The set had a fountain/water feature into which Mr Hegarty jumped in. He then wrung his socks out down the neck of the actress from Emmanuel who was in the audience. The backing orchestra’s drummer took exception to the volume of the drummer from Darts and tried to move his cymbals mid song.
For his pleasure he got a drum stick in the face. The rest of the orchestra steamed in.
Blood everywhere…..police on stage making arrests ….local mafia don threw Darts a party for showing up the mayor.
Can’t wait to read the part about The Wombles!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here