Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Slow Trains To Venice - Tom Chesshyre

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Peter May - The Night Gate

"In a sleepy French village, the body of a man shot through the head is disinterred by the roots of a fallen tree.
A week later a famous art critic is viciously murdered in a nearby house.
The deaths occurred more than seventy years apart.
Asked by a colleague to inspect the site of the former, forensics expert Enzo Macleod quickly finds himself embroiled in the investigation of the latter. Two extraordinary narratives are set in train – one historical, unfolding in the treacherous wartime years of Occupied France; the other contemporary, set in the autumn of 2020 as France re-enters Covid lockdown."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The Grey Men by Ralph Hope - Pursuing the Stasi into the present....almost 100,000 Stasi just disappeared into german society overnight and this book seeks to out some of them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Good German - Joseph Kanon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just started this

9780349144368.jpg

Blimey charlie - and that's just from the first 2 chapters.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Just started this

View attachment 137833

Blimey charlie - and that's just from the first 2 chapters.

Its a very good, if tough, book.

About 4 years ago I took my then 5 yr old son to an essex cricket match vs the Aussies. Boy was wearing his Brighton top and we happened to walk past Alan Davies. Alan happened to notice my boy and said "Ahh Brighton" and then commented " he looks like a very happy young man".

After reading his book and learning of his childhood, I've reflected more on that remark, and (maybe i'm reading too much into it) but for him to say that to me gives me real happiness that he can see joy in our kids faces. I must write to him one day to let him know the resonance his passing comment had with me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its a very good, if tough, book.

About 4 years ago I took my then 5 yr old son to an essex cricket match vs the Aussies. Boy was wearing his Brighton top and we happened to walk past Alan Davies. Alan happened to notice my boy and said "Ahh Brighton" and then commented " he looks like a very happy young man".

After reading his book and learning of his childhood, I've reflected more on that remark, and (maybe i'm reading too much into it) but for him to say that to me gives me real happiness that he can see joy in our kids faces. I must write to him one day to let him know the resonance his passing comment had with me.
You definitely should, I'm as sure as I can be that he'd be very grateful to receive such kind words.

He does rumble around Twitter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ghosts of Spain - Giles Tremlett

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
A Whisper Of Sorrows - JD Kirk

My new favourite author since holiday in Scotland

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman

I've been looking forward to this for weeks.
OMG it's disappointing.
So slow
Characters I don't care about.
Two people have told me it gets better, which is the only reason I am persevering with it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Around the World in 80 Trains - Monisha Rajesh

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^^. Not sure that book would have got published if Osman wasn’t a household name. Be wary of celebrity literature, although Graham Norton’s first crime novel is supposed to be half decent.

Going in for my second attempt at latest Booker winner Shuggie Bain. My first attempt I got 2 pages in before binning it off.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Tudor - The Family Story

Very engrossing book and reminds me what an incredible history England has. Life could be very short and violent, but it was full of danger, passion and turbulence and life was lived to the fullest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here