Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Life in Brighton by Clifford Musgrave.

It is what it says on the tin. I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of Brighton's history but have learnt so much more from just the first few chapters.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. A true sci fi great, arguably one of the best living sci fi writers. I think one of his most striking talents is his research for his novels. It’s spot on and because his ideas are rooted in modern science it gives everything a sense of realism.

I've read his Mars trilogy which are outstanding. This is in a similar vein, with colonists traveling to a distant star on a generational ship. It delves into the trials and tribulations of living your life aboard a spaceship, but also the foolhardiness of such a journey, and the dangers both conceived and unexpected.

I also I think there's an interesting underlying environmentalist point. It hard to read and not reflect on how lucky we are to have such an incredible planet to live on whilst simultaneously being worried about how we take something so precious for granted.

I'd recommend this to any fans of science fiction, especially if you haven’t read any of his work before. It’s a good place to start, and if you like it you’ll be in a fantastic position of knowing he’s written so many other brilliant books to investigate.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
To the edge of the world by Christian Wolmar

The history of the Trans Siberian Railway.
Much more than just geeks book about trains.

I'm really enjoying

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Purely thanks to recommendations in this thread (I can't remember which posters, but thanks!), I've been reading William Boyd novels in the last couple of months: Any Human Heart; The New Confessions; An Ice-Cream War; A Good Man in Africa and now Sweet Caress.

I was a bit worried about the very strong pattern of storylines (bordering on samey), but the fact that I've kept going tells its own story.

Maybe I got a bit unlucky with the first 3 I read: WW1 or WW1 & 2 settings, difficult relationship with father, Oxford University, awkward relationships with women & sex, main character is pretty hopeless but does alright mainly thanks to a privileged background (without really fitting in)... Not a million miles away with A Good Man in Africa either, but I think it's the characters in the books that keep me going back.

I've only just started Sweet Caress and the female protagonist makes a refreshing change already.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Purely thanks to recommendations in this thread (I can't remember which posters, but thanks!), I've been reading William Boyd novels in the last couple of months: Any Human Heart; The New Confessions; An Ice-Cream War; A Good Man in Africa and now Sweet Caress.

I was a bit worried about the very strong pattern of storylines (bordering on samey), but the fact that I've kept going tells its own story.

Maybe I got a bit unlucky with the first 3 I read: WW1 or WW1 & 2 settings, difficult relationship with father, Oxford University, awkward relationships with women & sex, main character is pretty hopeless but does alright mainly thanks to a privileged background (without really fitting in)... Not a million miles away with A Good Man in Africa either, but I think it's the characters in the books that keep me going back.

I've only just started Sweet Caress and the female protagonist makes a refreshing change already.

This sounds interesting. Must remember to check those out.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
A Voyage For Madmen by Peter Nichols.

I've no interest in sailing, or at least I didn't until reading Michael Calvin in the Sunday Times some years ago reporting from the round the world yacht race. For some reason, maybe his writing skill, I became fascinated in the subject.

This book is about the first solo round the world race. Its brilliant. What on earth makes people want to subject themselves to the discomfort, loneliness and just downright scary world of the southern ocean I dont know.

And this book is about the 1968 race, so no satellite phones and santas tracking. Horrendous.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Been saving my last Boyd book Bamboo for a while, he is a superb novalist.

Any Human Heart - Well worth watching the adaptation of this on C4

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Working my way through George Orwell.

Some I read 40ish years ago, some I’m reading for the first time.

Just finished Down and out in Paris and London, and just started Homage to a Catalonia.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Shake Hands and come out fighting ...L.A.Lawton ...written in 1926 about early boxing champions in Britain and U.S pre Louis ....Dempsey features amongst others

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just about to start another, options are

Alan Brazil’s
Simon Jordan’s
Ray Parlours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sicily 1943 - James Holland - have to say his prose is a bit wooden but seeing as my Grandad was in the 8th Army and did Sicily plus North Africa and Salerno thought I should give it a go just to pick up some historical info. Labouring to the end but will probably end up in one of of our Charity Shops.

Have visited Sicily twice in the last ten years, lovely country despite having an alternative government, ahem...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Third book of the Discovery of Witches trilogy by Deborah Harkness. Gripping stuff, better than the TV series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here