Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Barbarian Days - William Finnegan

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm just about to finish up 'Privacy is Power' by Carissa Véliz. Really interesting, slightly terrifying. I work in data so am aware of its nefarious uses but some of the stuff in here is eye opening.

Next on the nightstand is 'Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina'. It's been on my list for a long time and now seems like a fitting time to get into it.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A bit of light nostalgic reading for me: two collections of Seventies football comics in the form of Roy of the Rovers: The Tiger Years and Billy’s Boots.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Darkness Descending by Ken Jones. An incredible account of surviving an ordeal that would have killed most people. Awe inspiring and beautifully written.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
"Fight to the finish" by Allan Mallinson, it is a month by month account of the First World War from start to finish, very interesting and so many things I was unaware of. Thoroughly recommend it if you are interested in WW1 history.

Would recommend “Into the Silence” by Wade Davis re WW1 too.

It’s primarily about the conquest of Everest but has a lot of information about how WW1 shaped the lives of the climbers.

As someone who’s trekked to Everest base camp it makes me realise how much effort went into blazing the trail into an area that wasn’t even mapped at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On The Brink (the trouble with France) - Jonathan Fenby

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just finished the story of the Romanov dynasty and moving on to the life story of Sonny Liston ( for the younger ones...ex heavyweight champion of the world )

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. Quite a full on experience! Anyone managed to get their head round it?!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of my Christmas presents, The Old Weird Albion.

I can't wait for the chapter about playing no strikers against a bottom six team - can't think of anything weirder than that

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Frost On My Moustache - Tim Moore

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Snowdonia Murders
Debut book by Simon McCleave

Not a bad tale for a first novel, but it was a bit like Agatha Christie meets Peter James.

First we are presented with a never ending list of plausible murderers who all could have dunnit.

Then we have the copper with a missing other half which remains a mystery at the end and supposedly makes us want to get the second DI Ruth Hunter book.

Not sure I will

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The Light Jar. During school lockdown I'm in the habit of reading the same books that my 11 year old reads (to encourage him, and we chat about stuff). Wow, These school kids have some interesting and challenging subjects in their books nowadays ! 👍

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"Old hunting grounds and other stories" by Yuri Kazakov, it's a collection of short stories set in the Northern regions of post WW2 Russia, really good translation by Vladilav Zhukov, thoroughly recommend it some great stories about the main characters adventures through the wilds of the coast and countryside.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
‘Manifesto’ by Dale Vince, chairman of Forest Green Rovers. Part auto-biography part mission statement about the future of green energy. Very interesting read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here