Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think that's why it's been sat in my "to read" pile, because it looks fascinating but I wasn't sure how entertaining it would be. I had a feeling I would need to prepare myself for it. I might just bite the bullet and try and blitz it.

be interested how you go "blitzing "it.....good luck..:smile:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
be interested how you go "blitzing "it.....good luck..:smile:

Ha ha yeah I guess "blitzing" just means, not reading it in my usual procrastinating style, ie reading a page then going to make a cup of tea.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At home: Phillip Pullman: Book of Dust Book 2 - The Secret Commonwealth

On the train: David Wallace-Wells: The Uninhabitable Earth

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Ha ha yeah I guess "blitzing" just means, not reading it in my usual procrastinating style, ie reading a page then going to make a cup of tea.

Attention spans aren’t what they once were. I always set myself a three chapter limit before I’m allowed to do anything, look at a device etc. Reading in the bath is a serious guilty pleasure and also an environment where distractions are kept to a minimum so conducive to turning pages.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Have you read Sapiens , a brief history of humankind.....hard going but most explanatory as to how we find ourselves in the mess we are in.

It is on my list. Yuval Noah Harari really has his finger on the pulse and I like the fact that he is not a complete doom-monger, there is still hope just needs drastic and immediate action by everyone which is obviously easier said then done.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Attention spans aren’t what they once were. I always set myself a three chapter limit before I’m allowed to do anything, look at a device etc. Reading in the bath is a serious guilty pleasure and also an environment where distractions are kept to a minimum so conducive to turning pages.

Actually once of the best things I did last year was start a book club with some friends. Having a deadline to read a book by, very quickly stopped me procrastinating. It's also an absolute pleasure to discuss the books you've just rather than recommending them to people and briefly telling them what they're about. And not only that you start reading things you might not have normally picked, which is fantastic when it's something you end up loving. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys reading to start a book club. It doesn't have to be big 3 or 4 friends is probably perfect.

Aug 12, 2003
Gothenburg, Sweden
Am I allowed to say my own book?

GRIBBLEBOB'S BOOK OF UNPLEASANT GOBLINS
by
David Ashby

It's a children's book but it's funny, and I think grown-ups can enjoy it too. It came out last year with Pushkin Press. Great present idea if you have birthdays approaching!!

Other than that it has been HOUSE OF LOST DREAMS by the fantastic Graham Joyce which is properly spooky.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1782692347/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

6D22096C-F08F-43E4-8683-F424560FB7AA.jpeg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Actually once of the best things I did last year was start a book club with some friends. Having a deadline to read a book by, very quickly stopped me procrastinating. It's also an absolute pleasure to discuss the books you've just rather than recommending them to people and briefly telling them what they're about. And not only that you start reading things you might not have normally picked, which is fantastic when it's something you end up loving. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys reading to start a book club. It doesn't have to be big 3 or 4 friends is probably perfect.

Very much so, a mate runs one in Hove. One of the reasons I use the library is having a deadline to return books by, I also don’t particularly believe in the need to own books, read and pass on etc.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
A current heavyweight soon to be followed by lighter fare

Currently tackling Enrique Krause's "Yo So el Pueblo" . He's a leading Mexican historian and intellectual and the book looks at why Latin America has a love for a leader who says he not only represents but is the People (e.g. Chavez, Morales, Castro etc etc) and obviously aimed at our current example of this in Mexico AMLO (Corbyn buddy). So delving into St Thomas Aquino vs Locke & Hobbes - all fun stuff. So after that I need a quick dose of Mick Heron with his latest London Rules..

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Brideshead Revisited is possibly the best book ever written in my view. read it countless times.

Have you read any Hemingway books ? Very good

I started reading Waugh with Labels which I enjoyed so much I purchased A Handful of Dust immediately. I decided to save Brideshead as I know its his most acclaimed work and can't face finishing that just yet.

I have read a lot of Hemingway and enjoy his work (if not him as a person). Would you suggest any other authors of that era who are similar to Waugh?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I started reading Waugh with Labels which I enjoyed so much I purchased A Handful of Dust immediately. I decided to save Brideshead as I know its his most acclaimed work and can't face finishing that just yet.

I have read a lot of Hemingway and enjoy his work (if not him as a person). Would you suggest any other authors of that era who are similar to Waugh?

To be honest cannot think of any others similar to Waugh.

The Year of Living Danishly - Helen Russell

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Have just started The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company by William Dalyrymple. I like his schtick. The Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan by WD is also a decent read.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Reckoning. John Gresham.
He is a brilliant writer

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have just started The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company by William Dalyrymple. I like his schtick. The Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan by WD is also a decent read.

I've read a few of his but not those two - will check them out.

I'm on a bit of a non-fiction bender at the moment between stuff I've bought at airports and received for Christmas. Just finished Jon Ronson's "The Psychopath Test" which is BRILLIANT. Pacy, witty and interesting and lays bare some of the damage caused in the name of mental health. Now on The Body by Bryson which is typical Bryson and has so far had the effect of making me worry I will die any second, and also making me feel immortal. After that Raw Spirit by Iain Banks is the next cab off the rank - will probably save that for later in the month when I'm back in Scotland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here