Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Love is Blind - William Boyd

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The Hunter - Tom Wood. The first of the Victor series, having read them out of order, not that it particularly matters. Great writing and, imho, far superior to the likes of Phillip Kerr.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just getting to the end of The girl who lived twoce (the latest in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series).

I must say that the new writer is excellent. If you like a bit of scandi noire, this is the dogs. This is a series I will stick with (if you are uninitiated but interested, read the books in order). Although I can't wait for the next installment (and please don't anyone reply to say Salander dies at the end of the book I'm reading) I am reluctant to re-read any of the previous books owing to the undercurrent of grimness.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just started Tim Carder's book on the Albion and the First World War. It looks it's going to be an excellent read ... if rather poignant.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

I am about half way through, I struggled a bit with the first hundred pages but to be honest had been too busy to relax into the book. The story has really picked up and I am planning to finish it over the holiday. What I found a bit hard also was the dysfunctional relationship between Lyra and Pan and the fact that she seems a pale shadow of her younger self. I will keep you posted. What are you reading at the moment?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am about half way through, I struggled a bit with the first hundred pages but to be honest had been too busy to relax into the book. The story has really picked up and I am planning to finish it over the holiday. What I found a bit hard also was the dysfunctional relationship between Lyra and Pan and the fact that she seems a pale shadow of her younger self. I will keep you posted. What are you reading at the moment?

Plough on. It is worth it.

The bit where Lyra and Pan rowed was ...quite...stunning.

TheTV series is brilliant, also, in my view.

I'm finishing the latest Dragon Tattoo book. Also....amazing :thumbsup:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Plough on. It is worth it.

The bit where Lyra and Pan rowed was ...quite...stunning.

TheTV series is brilliant, also, in my view.

I'm finishing the latest Dragon Tattoo book. Also....amazing :thumbsup:

I’m lining up Knife by Jo Nesbo as my next read

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dominion by Tom Holland.

Not to be read by fundamental Christians..lol.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just finished " The President is Missing " by James Patterson and Bill Clinton - I enjoyed it, you just know it will be a film... President saves the day etc. The subject matter does make you think.

Now moved onto the latest Peter James - " Dead at First Sight " I know it will be more of the same, but its the sort of easing reading I like at this time of year.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If there's any Sci Fi fans looking for something to get stuck into something, I'm reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's the first in a trilogy about the colonisation of Mars. The attention to detail and understanding of the science involved in the process is fantastic but not overwhelmingly techy, and makes the whole thing very believable.I can't speak for the other 2 books yet, but the first installment is superb.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Just finished Evelyn Waughs Sword of Honour. Excellent trilogy. I'm now moving onto The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell which I hope will be of similar style.

I really enjoyed the Waugh books, can anyone suggest similar authors/books?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just finished Evelyn Waughs Sword of Honour. Excellent trilogy. I'm now moving onto The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell which I hope will be of similar style.

I really enjoyed the Waugh books, can anyone suggest similar authors/books?

Brideshead Revisited is possibly the best book ever written in my view. read it countless times.

Have you read any Hemingway books ? Very good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here