Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What BOOK are you currently reading, and would you recommend it?

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
I have just recently finished A Painted House by John Grisham. No I wouldn't recommend it - pile of shite. Dull, dull and even more dull. The only reason I managed to finish the damn thing was I kept telling myself something MUST happen soon. It didn't.

I read that a couple of years ago - thought it was crap too!

Just finished (this morning) Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. Not good either. And shit, Arsenal have just scored again!:angry:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Just started the autobiography and diary of the woman imprisoned in the cellar by her father in Austria. Bit boring really.
Monday stayed in. Tuesday stayed in. Wednesday stayed in. Thursday stayed in. Friday stayed in but got a shag.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Dead Simple by Peter James- One of the" Roy Grace" series of thrillers, all set in Sussex. Highly recommended.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have just recently finished A Painted House by John Grisham. No I wouldn't recommend it - pile of shite. Dull, dull and even more dull. The only reason I managed to finish the damn thing was I kept telling myself something MUST happen soon. It didn't.

I am close to finishing, but not entirely bothered if nothing huge happens in the end. It is eloquently written, a narrative from the eyes of a seven year old boy and lets the mind wander. I don't feel that something needs to happen, to be able to appreciate the beauty of the story (see A Catcher of the Rye). It is what is behind the words and the hidden meaning as opposed to a must have twist or some action. An interesting read as I believe it is was his first book away from the criminal genre.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just started the autobiography and diary of the woman imprisoned in the cellar by her father in Austria. Bit boring really.
Monday stayed in. Tuesday stayed in. Wednesday stayed in. Thursday went to see Crystal Palace play. Friday stayed begged to stay in .
:jester:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I'm currently reading, 'Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years' by Jared Diamond

Interesting read, though quite heavy going in some places

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
1980 by David Peace (the guy who wrote The Damned United). Third part of his Yorkshire quartet (1974, 1977 and 1983 being the others). Absolutely superb stuff. Think James Elroy, but set in Leeds and about the Yorkshire Ripper murders.

those are a great set of books. really enjoyed all of them.

i have just finished tommy's war: a first world war diary. can't recommend that highly enough, couldn't put it down once i'd started.

i am now reading marching powder by rusty young. it is the true story of an english guy arrested in bolivia for drugs of course, it is quite an amusing read.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm reading a few at the moment

Danny Wallace - Friends like these if you are into the whole crazy adventure humour stories then this is for you , a peach so far

Tony Hawks - Round Ireland with a fridge same

Both class! Check out Yes Man & Join Me by Danny Wallace and Playing the Moldovans at Tennis & One Hit Wonder by Tony Hawks (and he's an Albion fan as well)

John O'Farrell-I have a bream. It's amusing and informative.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Both class! Check out Yes Man & Join Me by Danny Wallace and Playing the Moldovans at Tennis & One Hit Wonder by Tony Hawks (and he's an Albion fan as well)

John O'Farrell-I have a bream. It's amusing and informative.

read both the Danny Wallace ones (and the Dave Gorman ones too) , and will get into the other Tony Hawks once I have finished this one

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sniper One. Sgt. Dan Mills. Makes the partly fictional Bravo Two Zero seem quite tame.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm reading Eric Claptons autobiography and I wouldn't recommend it at all, it's very very boring.

..bought this guitar, recorded this record, flew here, took some heroin, bought this house, bought this guitar, recorded this record, flew here, went round George's house etc...

Got about half way through and he seems to gloss over what could possibly be the interesting bits of his life. Like his turning up at an anti-immigration meeting in the 60s.

I come to the conclusion I don't particularly like autobiographies very much.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
Just finished reading A Death of a salesman, by Arthur Miller, very good tale of the ordinary, common family man but on so many elevated levels as well. However I'm sure most of you have read it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"Please Understand Me II" by David Keirsey

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
The Shroud by Ian Wilson, and I would recommend it. The Shroud of Turin is the most studied object in all of human history. The truth about it goes much much deeper than the media would lead you to believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here