Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What an absolute joke

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For all the hoopla surrounding the finale it was kind of what we were told VAR was for. The right decision was reached. All the sundry debates about whether we should still have been playing or if the ball was out of play are precisely the things we've been debating forever and will continue to do so.

The single most annoying refereeing decision for me today was White's booking. United player changes his run, stops following the ball, runs into White and falls over. United win a free kick and our player is booked. Wait! What?

Beginning to feel the blood pressure subside and the perspective return. We are very close to being a bloody good side and are ironing out the various glitches.

Careful. Close but no cigar could be our club motto. We never, or at least rarely, get every glitch ironed before another crease appears. At this level especially. For me the true measure is if we can comfortably beat Palace, Soton and Burnley, perhaps in both fixtures, rather than another ‘commendable’, ‘close’, or ‘unlucky’ defeat against the bigger boys like Utd. Let’s walk before we run. Or at least not collapse after a sprint.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
9E08FC10-D194-44BA-853E-4654378CF950.jpeg

The referee / VAR was correct. No matter how frustrating.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The referee blew his whistle to end the game or that's what it looked like to me I don't think the referee had seen Maupays handball at this point so the game ended but one of the other officials either on the pitch or remotely noticed it and brought it to the attention of the referee who restarted the game which leaves me wondering where in the rules dose it say the referee can restart a game after the final whistle ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As I posted on the BBC comments: There was so much good and yet so much wrong with this game.

Agree with most of the above - but there is another incident that is boiling my pi$$ too.

Biss gets a yellow for an accidental flailing limb that strikes an opponent in the face - VAR suggest ref should review this and it gets upgraded to a Red and a 3 match ban. So, for consistency, when Matic had a flailing limb that struck Connelly in the face how does he get away with only a yellow and no VAR upgrade to Red? The only difference between the two incidents I can see is Biss used his foot and Matic used his hand - both accidental, but both dangerous play? But the outcome was a massive inconsistence.

Yes, we have been hard-done-by today - but my takeaway if that Lallana managed 70 mins and we made a top six side park THEIR bus for periods of the game.

Future looks bright.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
As I posted on the BBC comments: There was so much good and yet so much wrong with this game.

Agree with most of the above - but there is another incident that is boiling my pi$$ too.

Biss gets a yellow for an accidental flailing limb that strikes an opponent in the face - VAR suggest ref should review this and it gets upgraded to a Red and a 3 match ban. So, for consistency, when Matic had a flailing limb that struck Connelly in the face how does he get away with only a yellow and no VAR upgrade to Red? The only difference between the two incidents I can see is Biss used his foot and Matic used his hand - both accidental, but both dangerous play? But the outcome was a massive inconsistence.

Yes, we have been hard-done-by today - but my takeaway if that Lallana managed 70 mins and we made a top six side park THEIR bus for periods of the game.

Future looks bright.

I thought you were going to refer to Marchs goal where just before scores Webster gets a boot in the face surlelythat was dangerous play

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I didnt see our second goal, but as a matter of interest, after we scored, does anyone know how long our players celebrated the goal until Utd kicked off again? I am not looking for loopholes, just interested, I will see it tonight on MoD I'm sure........overall I am totally gutted but on the positive side we played really well against a top 6 side!!

30 seconds is what refs are instructed to add for each substitution or goal celebtaration , not sure about any small print added to this ...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For the officials to have to cheat *THIS MUCH* to gift Man U their win, we can give any side a run for their money this season, the big 2 included.

For me this signals the end of #TeamsLikeBrighton (for now anyway).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Doesn't the ref stop his watch during the celebrations? The time added on was probably fair.

As much as I would like to blame the ref, we gave the game away today, once we score we need to clear our heads and reset.

I feared the worst when they had the corner tbh.

Crap 4.30 into extra time When we scored 6.30 when they had a corner. 5 minutes indicated. Complete bullshit from the ref

There was 30 seconds from kick off that’s it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here