Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What Albion signing got you most excited?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope, not end of thread.

Vicente was very exciting for obvious reasons, but nothing can beat the excitement of Bobby Z signing permanently.

In his loan spell, it seemed like we were the only ones that knew that we had uncovered a very special player.

Even in retrospect, it's mad how we managed to get such a top quality young player without any other clubs noticing.

I totally agree with this. We all knew he was the real deal, and eventually we signed him. I seem to recall Rovers played hard-to-get for a while but we eventually signed him pretty close to the season starting. I remember being so excited about this I randomly told a colleague, who I didn’t know, in the company shower room (I had cycled to work).

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
In terms of sheer “wow” factor, Vicente, no question.

But I’m not sure I’ve ever been as excited as when we signed CMS (as much as it pains me to say it in retrospect!). It wasn’t just his ability, it was the first time in a long time that we’d signed a star player from another club at a similar level, and seemingly fought off other bigger clubs to land him.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Bobby Smith. One brilliant season forever etched into my memory. Was England’s centre forward only two years previous and one of the country’s top top strikers. Not only did he score goals and make them for others, he gave the other players a kick up the backside and they were suddenly world beaters. The crowds flooded back for what was division four football - I doubt if many clubs in the bottom division have ever had crowds like that. Came back the following season 2 stone over what was already overweight and was lost to us forever.

Correct choice. Though big, he had a deft touch and quick thinking that his teammates couldn't always keep up with. Brains as well as brawn.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Vicente was just such an insane signing for a club of our size, it blew me away. It was the first (that I recall) where we had spies reporting back on his location in the preceding days which added to the excitement.

That said, signing Zamora first time was such a coup and getting CMS after losing Murray for the first season at the Amex were both massive. I still remember where I was for both of those when the signings were announced.

I'd also throw in Calderon after he'd all but gone and signed for Saints. The thought of him leaving broke my heart at the time, especially after Gus wrote him off, to have him back was amazing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Zamora. Permanently, probably by far for me. Such a legend, probably hard to imagine just how good he was if you’re a younger fan.

Poyet as manager felt like a huge statement by the club at the time as a testament to our ambition. It ended badly,but it still was an exciting time.

And of the modern era, has to be Lallana, which also feels like a statement by the club.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Bobby Zamora, Vicente, Alireza Jahanbakhsh, Craig Mackail-Smith, Wayne Bridge.

Amazing and unexpected.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kevin Bremner.

He played against us for a decent Reading side the season before (with the prolific Trevor Senior) and looked a handful. Turned out alright too, his partnership with Garry Nelson was one of our best.

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I am the perpetual child and frequently greet new signings with optimistic euphoria, Lallana, LuaLua, Bruno, Bridge, etc. However, my equally top two are: after watching Zamora's loan, his permanent deal led to me calling up everyone I knew to gloat, even my wife's gran - who only spoke Turkish. Then Gotsmanov was surreal, as a teenage Communist he
Was my non Albion football hero for scoring the winner against England at Wembley. I was living in Forest Gate and social media free. Then my old mate Hippie sent me a postcard with Gotsmanov in a Brighton kit at the Goldstone. Even after watching him play I found it hard to believe he was ours.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Brian Clough

Put thousands onto the Goldstone crowds and got everyone talking.

Not the best starts at home under Clough 0-0 (York) 0-0 (Chesterfield) 0-4 (Walton&Hersham) 2-8 (Bristol Rovers) but the result against Bristol Rovers got us as the main game on the Big Match with Clough in the studio,

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The re singing of Dean Hammond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Probably Martin Chivers as he was the very first Autograph i collected and couldn't quite believe it when i heard we had signed him , i seem to remember him scoring once but wasn't there to witness it , he had a very short stint with us but he and Frank Worthington stand out as my exciting signings .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here