[Albion] What age to take child to first Albion game?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a lucky little boy/girl! How did they take to it? I imagine they're either hooked or were overwhelmed by the experience?

He thought it was amazing. I tried to explain that football isn't usually like that, and that he's probably just seen the best game he'll ever see, but I'm not sure he got it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He thought it was amazing. I tried to explain that football isn't usually like that, and that he's probably just seen the best game he'll ever see, but I'm not sure he got it.

There's always England winning the world cup final next year to top it...

You need to get him down to the Albion as soon as possible before the magic wears off!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I took my son to the Coventry cup game when he was 4. He didn’t really know what was going on and needed a lot of distracting with food and drink but he seemed to enjoy it.

I’ve taken him a few times since and he’s more interested every time as he’s massively into football now but we never seem to score or win when he goes. I wanted to get him a season ticket this year but I left it too late and there are no seats around me in the North.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
7 is the sweet spot, probably a little bit older than you'd like but at that age they will genuinely be mesmerized by the size of the stadium and the crowd singing, they will be able to sit through the whole game without too much alternative entertainment and best of all they will actually remember their first game together with you.

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
As the thread title suggests, really.

Can't wait to take my son to his first game (probably be one of the pre-season friendlies in a year or two, or three...) but wanted others' experiences on when they felt was roughly the right age to introduce them to the Amex.

Obviously every kid is different but still useful to gauge opinion.

Took my lad to the withdean, when he was 5 years old to see Huddersfield, he was bored and we left at halftime (game finished 0-0).
So waited again until he was 6, bit better this time as he lasted a whole game, (yet again at the Withdean).
Started to go more regulary when he was 7, and ended up getting a season ticket from around 8 years old (for the last two years at the Withdean.where he was lucky to be be chosen as one of the 11
mascots for the last ever game (yet again against Huddersfield).
Continued to be a season ticket holder at the AMEX until he was about 15 (where is lost interest and stopped going).
He liked away games a lot more (than home games), due to atmosphere etc.

So from experience i would say around 7 is a good age, albiet i appreciate may be a bit earlier as the AMEX is more of a lure than the Withdean

Good Luck

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
All of them have been taken before the age of 2, eldest to Priestfield. Getting in early resolves all this Chelsea nonsense that is prevalent around my patch. 3 of them are fully committed, my daughter is not but that is because she has no interest in football.

I reckon its more difficult now with full capacity and no terraces, much easier with the younger ones being able to move around without hacking people off. My youngest, who is 11 and hence only known the good times, got introduced via the Amex family stand, which was fine but it was a little bit like puppy training with treats every ten minutes of focusing on the game.

around 15 years ago i saw a guy with two young kids in prams at various away games. He looked like he might have nicked them but given that he kept reappearing with them through the seasons convinced me they must be his. Looked like very hard work

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As the thread title suggests, really.

Can't wait to take my son to his first game (probably be one of the pre-season friendlies in a year or two, or three...) but wanted others' experiences on when they felt was roughly the right age to introduce them to the Amex.

Obviously every kid is different but still useful to gauge opinion.

My daughter was 3.5 - Coventry at Home when Locadia scored. We left on about 70 mins but I deliberately picked a game I wasn't arsed about. She loved it and has been back a few times since.

My son will be going for the first time some time this autumn - he'll be 4.

TIPS

Take sweets, toy, book, money, more snacks, more money.
Make a big deal out of seeing Gully
Don't expect them to watch much of the match
Expect multiple toilet breaks - aisle seats are good
Swearing is allowed during the 90 mins (and in moderation) IMO

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Took my son to the Lazio game game at 6 months, it’s certainly a great ‘first game’ story for him when he is older.

However, I’ve taken him about 6 times since and all have been problematic. He normally wants to leave at half time so it’s mostly about bribes and pacification. The best thing he did was throw a tantrum about me running out of biscuits when we were 0-3 down to Bournemouth, I had to drag him out mid-match before we were kicked out but I’ll be eternally grateful to him for giving me an excuse to avoid anymore of the hurt and humiliation of that awful awful match.

He is 5 now and shows no inclination to enjoy football with me so I’m going to wait until he asks me before I take him again.

However, my 2 year old is fascinated by the game and would be going to the Getafe friendly with me if we were not on holiday.

Stumpy Tim

I took my 2.5 year old boy to Brighton 3-1 v Leicester under Garcia, and he absolutely loved it. I couldn't believe my luck. My daughter cried at 3.5 when we went to see the friendly against Chelsea which was half full.

My recommendation is go in the family stand, but at the North stand end. My son loved watching the North stand and there's no hostility at that end

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I was 6 when my dad took me to 'The Goldstone', the year was 1952 and Newport County the opposition. The North Stand (it derserves capitols), down in the front by the white picket fence just to the side of the goal. How I loved it, but of course how much 'live' football had I actually seen before? That I think is the major difference between then and now. Boys and girls are bought up with a constant menu of football on TV, these in turn major on the 'big' clubs so perhaps they don't appreciate at such an early age a true live experience.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I took my eldest to her first game just before she was 5. The league Cup game against Cheltenham, 1st round was it? A good one as not a huge amount riding on it and not the biggest crowd.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
when we first played Cheltenham Town at the Withdean in their first season 99/00 we talked with a family in the Brewery Tap taking their son to his first game , he looked about seven and terrified . We told him the badge on his shirt was the best in the world and it was his , he cheered up , but we got the winner in a poor game in about 93 minutes so i hope he got over it .

It`s tough to know when to take a young `un , but pick the opposition carefully , Norwich yes Watford yes palace no .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was 7, but was football mad and just delighted to go with my Dad…..

My son was 10, but mainly because he wasn’t particularly interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
5 after he asked to come, got disinterested early in the game. Then didn't come for awhile but started to gain more interest and really got into the final season at the Goldstone at age 7 as we survived.
Didn't go to Gillingham or much to Withdean due to playing sports/education. Has had a season ticket at the Amex since day 1, although comes to less away games then he did due to a busy social life and therefore fewer loyalty points,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My daughter's first game was Carlisle at the Withdean. Big mistake. I know have to pay for her to travel all over the country with me to away games!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports