Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a difference a year makes

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I'm probably a lot older than you sonny! (Not any wiser though). Believe me, in my fifty years of Albion watching I've seen more shit than an overflowing sewage farm. A few spring to mind - 8-2 loss to Bristol Rovers, 0-4 to Walton & Hersham, 0-3 to Oxford in t'cup, and bizarrely a horrible 0-4 defeat at Southend on some cold,wet, winter's evening in 1976. This, after my best mate persuaded me to accompany him to the nether regions of Essex to watch a nailed on Albion win, and arriving twenty minutes after kick-off to see Southend's first goal.

I refer to the Millwall game purely because it's still fresh in the mind, being recent and all. The rest I have deposited in a box, in the recesses of my memory, marked 'do not open'. :cheers:

A lot older? Even Methuselah no longer claims that and as I was also at three of the four games you cite, I doubt you are. The Southend game was a particularly abject performance against a team that, if memory serves me correctly, was relegated that season. I was thinking more of some of the desperate evening games at the Priestfield myself. I also recall a 2-0 defeat at Rochdale, where neither side had a shot on target, their two goals coming from our comic book defending.

Oh, and less of the "sonny" in future, if you don't mind.

el punal

A lot older? Even Methuselah no longer claims that and as I was also at three of the four games you cite, I doubt you are. The Southend game was a particularly abject performance against a team that, if memory serves me correctly, was relegated that season. I was thinking more of some of the desperate evening games at the Priestfield myself. I also recall a 2-0 defeat at Rochdale, where neither side had a shot on target, their two goals coming from our comic book defending.

Oh, and less of the "sonny" in future, if you don't mind.

A thousand apologies. :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nothing matches our Gillingham years. I went to most of the 'home' games (just up the road). It was dire. Three consecutive completed passes was just an aspiration. The away game at Brentford, when the man whose name I will not mention (partly because I can't remember it) gifted 2 goals (scoring one) was like having my nuts slow cooked on an open fire, by Daily Mail reading boy scouts in Frozen pyjamas. Lowlight was probably being ripped apart by a gleeful Scunthorpe in the league, and being tonked by Millwall (again) 1-5 in the Freight Rover Trophy Bitter Challenge Egg cup. Our goal was scored by some **** who was shagging one of the munters who flops out her plastic tits on channel 900 and something. Moralee, that was it. On a grand a week, apparently. How I kept the knife from my wrists is anyone's guess.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pedant alert -
Millwall game was a Friday night not Saturday.

Wow what a turn around we've had. After the Millwall game was the first time I've wanted a manager out since McGhee...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here