Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a difference a year makes

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Found the BBC report from that game.

Wow, our bench was terrible that day. Says something that only 4 of the players who started on Saturday also started that match.

Gardner & JFC as defensive mids never worked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sami is an exceptionally poor manager, although he left with huge dignity and kind words for the club and the fans.

I see that FC Zurich are bottom of the Swiss Super League having been tonked 5-0 by their arch-rivals Grasshoppers at the end of November. However, he did win his last game so maybe things will go better for him in 2016?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sami's last game in charge was the away draw at Wolves on 22 Dec 14 and when you look at our side we had 4 of Saturday's defence (Stockdale, Bruno, Calde, Dunk), Solly March in midfield and the decent pairing of Bent and Teixeira in attack.

It goes to show how important and influential that midfield pairing of Kayal and Stephens are to this side.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Semi was unlucky and deserved more time.
uploadfromtaptalk1449498847537.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It goes to show how important and influential that midfield pairing of Kayal and Stephens are to this side.

Yes, that's my biggest concern - injuries to either of these two and we're going to be struggling (unless Towell is knockout). But we all saw how we struggled against Preston, I just hope that's not going to be our season

el punal

The lowest of the lowest was that Millwall home game last season, when I left the stadium I really was utterly pi$$ed off with everything BHAFC.

Still one year on and what a change
That evening was probably the worst occasion that I've suffered watching the Albion. Everything that was wrong was on display that night - a team totally bereft of ideas, spirit, confidence and anything else you could think of. Sami Hyypia was the epitome of 'dead man walking', one who had totally lost the plot and had no idea how resolve the dilemma that we were in. The fans were either arguing among themselves or baying for Sami's blood. And as for the opponents . . . . Millwall, what can you say? They were slightly less awful than us and scored. Goodnight.

A horrible night, but well worth remembering just for showing how far we've come in twelve months.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That evening was probably the worst occasion that I've suffered watching the Albion. Everything that was wrong was on display that night - a team totally bereft of ideas, spirit, confidence and anything else you could think of. Sami Hyypia was the epitome of 'dead man walking', one who had totally lost the plot and had no idea how resolve the dilemma that we were in. The fans were either arguing among themselves or baying for Sami's blood. And as for the opponents . . . . Millwall, what can you say? They were slightly less awful than us and scored. Goodnight.

A horrible night, but well worth remembering just for showing how far we've come in twelve months.
I was so angry with the club for not sacking Sami, I left at half time, vowing not to return until he'd gone [emoji38]ol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sami is an exceptionally poor manager, although he left with huge dignity and kind words for the club and the fans.

Perfectly summed up. Yes it didnt help with Barbs selling our best striker days before KO and Burke buying and getting in loan UTTER toilet, but Sami was still a pretty poor manager.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
A few 'Pundits' had us tipped for relegation this season. The turnaround is incredible. But we need to hunger for more now, keep going and going and when the defeat does come,this week, next week, or next year, pick ourselves up and go again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The lowest of the lowest was that Millwall home game last season, when I left the stadium I really was utterly pi$$ed off with everything BHAFC.

Still one year on and what a change
I remember my post Millwall thread like it were yesterday.

That night we were out thought, out fought & out played by Danny f*****g Shittu.

Abject humiliation.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Where are all the muppets from back then (and before) who said that 442 would not work anymore, was an antiquated system and all the rest of the bull sh*t? Perhaps we should take a look at some of the old threads and name and shame :)

I partially confess to being one of your muppets. If you follow football broadly, there are few teams that play 4-4-2 any more. Where it is becoming increasingly popular and successful is in the Championship. So, I'm more than willing to accept crowing from those that restricted their comments praising 4-4-2 as a formation to get us out of the Championship, but will dismiss those who claim that there's a wider resurgence of this formation.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Perfectly summed up. Yes it didnt help with Barbs selling our best striker days before KO and Burke buying and getting in loan UTTER toilet, but Sami was still a pretty poor manager.

Completely agree with this. Sami was dealt a poor hand but he played it appallingly. The games talked about in this thread are classic examples with not playing Ince and starting with JFC and Gardner at Derby and at home to Millwall. I think I could have done better in those games.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
That evening was probably the worst occasion that I've suffered watching the Albion. .

You lucky, lucky b....rd, if that is the worst you have ever suffered watching the Albion. When I were a lad we used to dream of losing 1-0 with a crappy performance at home to the 'Wall.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I think what made the Millwall game such a low point was the fact that that people watching the game on TV would have been within their rights to question how a club with such resources could be so utterly shite. It was the first time we were really crap since moving to the Amex. Before, the lack of stadium and subsequent unity in a common cause meant that even when we weren't good, at least we still had an identity and hadn't gone under. There's nothing worse than spending years anticipating a stadium, only for things on the pitch to go so badly barely a few years after opening. A really embarrassing evening.

el punal

You lucky, lucky b....rd, if that is the worst you have ever suffered watching the Albion. When I were a lad we used to dream of losing 1-0 with a crappy performance at home to the 'Wall.

I'm probably a lot older than you sonny! (Not any wiser though). Believe me, in my fifty years of Albion watching I've seen more shit than an overflowing sewage farm. A few spring to mind - 8-2 loss to Bristol Rovers, 0-4 to Walton & Hersham, 0-3 to Oxford in t'cup, and bizarrely a horrible 0-4 defeat at Southend on some cold,wet, winter's evening in 1976. This, after my best mate persuaded me to accompany him to the nether regions of Essex to watch a nailed on Albion win, and arriving twenty minutes after kick-off to see Southend's first goal.

I refer to the Millwall game purely because it's still fresh in the mind, being recent and all. The rest I have deposited in a box, in the recesses of my memory, marked 'do not open'. :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here