Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We've lost Leon Best

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Easily the best news of the transfer window so far. And I'm very happy about Rosenior and Hemed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The actual quote is: "Leon Best went back". CMS is the one he specifically says we " lost ". Should we read anything into this choice of words, or am I just being pedantic?
Not even very good pedantry, I'm afraid. The quote from Bozza went, "We have got to think about what we've lost. Leon Best went back (to Blackburn)........" Leon Best going black to Blackburn is clearly linked to the 'what we've lost' in the previous sentence.

I just really hope he's not thinking about going back to find him again. The fact that he even mentions him worries me a bit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not even very good pedantry, I'm afraid. The quote from Bozza went, "We have got to think about what we've lost. Leon Best went back (to Blackburn)........" Leon Best going black to Blackburn is clearly linked to the 'what we've lost' in the previous sentence.

I just really hope he's not thinking about going back to find him again. The fact that he even mentions him worries me a bit.

I'd say it was simply deliberately unclear on the part of CH, probably because it sounds more diplomatic than saying "well we've lost CMS and of course Leon Best has gone back because he was clearly a bit shìt"

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I look at it more that we've lost them as striking options, regardless of how good or bad they are - Best couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo but at least we could put him as a striker and say "at least jog and make a bit of effort" rather than have a 10 man team sheet.

I think CH is far too astute to go back for him. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to haunt me.

Oct 25, 2003
best often played like he was just a regular bloke who'd won a competition to play a game of professional football....but he didn't actually like football and someone had entered him on his behalf as a prank and he was just doing it to please them but generally couldn't be bothered

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I look at it more that we've lost them as striking options, regardless of how good or bad they are - Best couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo but at least we could put him as a striker and say "at least jog and make a bit of effort" rather than have a 10 man team sheet.

I think CH is far too astute to go back for him. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to haunt me.
I so much hope you're right with that last bit!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I've witnessed some terrible players in my time. Those with talent but the wrong attitude, and those with great work ethic but no talent. But rarely have I seen a player like Leon, who appeared to have neither talent nor work ethic. Just from recent years, Dobbie, Kemy & Harley didn't run - but they all at least had something technically about them that vaguely justified being paid to play football. Billy Paynter was absolutely toilet but at least he tried. Best is the luckiest man on earth because he's being paid 30k a week to do a job he doesn't appear to want to do, and isn't any good at. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd rather have had a raffle before kick off and one of us had won his place each game. We'd be woeful, sure - but you know damn well we'd run ourselves into the ground doing it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although I was reservedly happy with CH being appointed, it does concern me that he holds Leon Best in such high esteem. ???

Yes it concerns me too. Ok so we know that Hughton knows him of old, presumably in the days when he was a more than passable player, but having seen his performances, (or should l say 'no' performances) in his loan spell for the Albion last season, it must be more than apparent that those days are long gone.

But what concerns me even more, is that Chris Hughton STILL sees him as a man who will score goals. A tad worrying don't you think?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've witnessed some terrible players in my time. Those with talent but the wrong attitude, and those with great work ethic but no talent. But rarely have I seen a player like Leon, who appeared to have neither talent nor work ethic. Just from recent years, Dobbie, Kemy & Harley didn't run - but they all at least had something technically about them that vaguely justified being paid to play football. Billy Paynter was absolutely toilet but at least he tried. Best is the luckiest man on earth because he's being paid 30k a week to do a job he doesn't appear to want to do, and isn't any good at. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd rather have had a raffle before kick off and one of us had won his place each game. We'd be woeful, sure - but you know damn well we'd run ourselves into the ground doing it.

What was extraordinary was the fact that he had neither talent nor ability and yet strutted about the pitch like he was God's gift. He was god awful.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
What was extraordinary was the fact that he had neither talent nor ability and yet strutted about the pitch like he was God's gift. He was god awful.
Exactly. And it baffles me that people say he was lazy and arrogant but "clearly has talent". They must have been watching a different player to me. He was utter, utter shytehouse. In every possible attribute.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Best was the worst excuse for a footballer I've ever seen.

I'm sorry, but no:
121378.jpg
Kemy-Agustien.jpg
102005folk2.jpg
163477.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here