[News] Wetherspoons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More years ago than I care to think about, I found an automatic chip dispenser in a town called Rottweil in Germany - put in a mark coin and in a while a portion of French (well, German) fries was dispensed.

Never seen another machine like it. What happened to that concept I wonder?

PS does anyone know the current status of the "Dewdrop Inn" in Peacehaven, seems to have closed - for good?

My Dad’s old haunt :drink::drink::drink::drink::whisky:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
More years ago than I care to think about, I found an automatic chip dispenser in a town called Rottweil in Germany - put in a mark coin and in a while a portion of French (well, German) fries was dispensed.

Never seen another machine like it. What happened to that concept I wonder?

PS does anyone know the current status of the "Dewdrop Inn" in Peacehaven, seems to have closed - for good?

Love it! We found a hot full size pizza vending machine in Tokyo outside a convenience store!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given Tim Martin is a swivel-eyed Brexit loon I will not set foot inside any of his establishments until he is out of the picture.

I don't see the problem in having contempt for him over his Brexit position, in the same way that as a Lib Dem voter I understand why people had contempt for the Lib Dems because of Norman Baker and Lewes DC over their Falmer stance..
Well, as I said, it's mandatory for some people to broadcast their contempt of Weatherspoons and its owner - they can't help it. Whether they see it as a problem or not, I couldn't care less. Some people will have contempt for the Lib Dems for reasons other than Falmer, but are more likely not to go on about it.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
. Some people will have contempt for the Lib Dems for reasons other than Falmer, but are more likely not to go on about it.

Don't mention the EMA ( the single biggest attack on the British working class kids), University Fees, prescription charges, the abolition of the £200 Childrens bonds granted by Gordon Brown, all promised to be protected by the lib dems. All sacrificed for a couple of ministerial cars by persons of less principle than your average mugger.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Such snobbish attitudes towards Wetherspoons… You may dislike the owner but so what?
The fact is that ‘spoons offers good value for money and , living on a pension I have to consider that. Also they are places where I can have a drink, the wife can have a coffee and we are all happy in comfortable surroundings.
My experience is largely daytime but I don’t recognise the seedy characters that you stereotype as Wetherspoons customers.
I have always enjoyed the food and drink so what’s not to like?
If you dislike large firms then also complain about supermarkets , Amazon , Macdonalds etc

I totally agree. There are a lot of a#seholes on NSC who think they are above the common man. The man provides a service that is popular. What he doesn't employ are doormen who grab you and force you in, it's you're choice. He supported Brexit, and like the majority of the country, he was right. So if you want to look trendy and sit in Starbucks, Costa etc. and drink your designer coffee at £3.00 a time carry on, just don't sneer at other people's choice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I totally agree. There are a lot of a#seholes on NSC who think they are above the common man. The man provides a service that is popular. What he doesn't employ are doormen who grab you and force you in, it's you're choice. He supported Brexit, and like the majority of the country, he was right. So if you want to look trendy and sit in Starbucks, Costa etc. and drink your designer coffee at £3.00 a time carry on, just don't sneer at other people's choice.

I'd rather get a Cortado or Flat White from an independent coffee place if that is OK with you. Costa / Starbucks is just as a bad as Spoons

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Such snobbish attitudes towards Wetherspoons… You may dislike the owner but so what?
The fact is that ‘spoons offers good value for money and , living on a pension I have to consider that. Also they are places where I can have a drink, the wife can have a coffee and we are all happy in comfortable surroundings.
My experience is largely daytime but I don’t recognise the seedy characters that you stereotype as Wetherspoons customers.
I have always enjoyed the food and drink so what’s not to like?
If you dislike large firms then also complain about supermarkets , Amazon , Macdonalds etc

Spot on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, as I said, it's mandatory for some people to broadcast their contempt of Weatherspoons and its owner - they can't help it.

Whilst I'm not on board with the sneering at the establishments themselves (they serve a demand, employ a lot of people, and I like the repurposing of some lovely buildings, at a time when many pubs are closing) I do personally tend to steer well clear purely because of my disdain for Tim Martin, and his pro-Brexit propaganda campaign.

The simple fact is I don't like him, I don't like how he acted, and I'd rather not give him my money.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He supported Brexit, and like the majority of the country, he was right.

Point of order - it was a slim majority of the people who voted in the non-binding referendum, and only 37% of the eligible electorate.

As to "he was right", that is of course self-evident from all of the BREXIT DIVIDENDS we have seen.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...stuns-shoppers-pub-goers-sleepy-norfolk-town/

"We were sat at another table at the Wetherspoons and a couple of staff members pointed him out. We didn't believe them, but I walked past and got a glimpse of him. At first, no one was 100 per cent sure if it was really him, nor did anyone else want to go up and find out.

Apparently Travolta ordered a freshly squeezed orange juice which he found difficult to swallow.

It was probably the result of pulp friction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the pub garden .Besides cheap and cheerful food for feeding the family is exactly what both Weatherspoons and the Koln beer garden were
offering .
Some people want to eat food a poor man would reject as part of a "tasting menu "( have you seen the Interlude menu?)
They are prepared to pay a fortune for bone marrow and larks livers with a dressingof minted frogs foam.

Others want to entertain a different crowd.

Duplicate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the pub garden .Besides cheap and cheerful food for feeding the family is exactly what both Weatherspoons and the Koln beer garden were
offering .
Some people want to eat food a poor man would reject as part of a "tasting menu "( have you seen the Interlude menu?)
They are prepared to pay a fortune for bone marrow and larks livers with a dressingof minted frogs foam.

Others want to entertain a different crowd.

I know all of this. This isn’t really my point though. I have no issue with chains or cheap and cheerful but this can, and is, all done better elsewhere.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Given Tim Martin is a swivel-eyed Brexit loon I will not set foot inside any of his establishments until he is out of the picture.

I don't see the problem in having contempt for him over his Brexit position, in the same way that as a Lib Dem voter I understand why people had contempt for the Lib Dems because of Norman Baker and Lewes DC over their Falmer stance..

Word.

Absolutely this.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They just have a bank of microwaves.

I thought this before I’d looked in a Wetherspoons kitchen and I really couldn’t have been more wrong. For example, pizza’s are made using a dough ball which is then flattened and then topped with fresh ingredients. I’d assumed that they were grabbed out of a freezer and thrown straight into a turbo oven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports