Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wetherspoons

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s some nice Wetherspoons around. There’s some shocking ones. Brighton ones are rather ropey except for the Marina.
I do a lot of walking/hiking with a mate and we will often pop into a spoons for a good value breakfast. Great walking fuel for very little money. I look forward to the ritual fry-up before a good long walk.
And I can tell thee, cost of things has become a BIG priority for me.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Not a fan of Wetherspoons, I won’t say I’m boycotting as, example, I’m out of town at an away match, shanted up and the debit cards had a hammering, I’ll pop in for a £1.29 offering when it’s at that sort of stage in the day when my wife asks “enough is never enough for you is it?” I just tend to make the effort to visit some non Lonsdale footwear pubs these days

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If it’s a decent spoons the beer tends to be decent. If you think buying cask from a small independent is a guarantee of quality you are way off.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, sorry about that. I knew it was wrong to wear my white trousers - they tend to show up everything. I’ve now left them to soak in a bucket of White Lightning, they should be right as rain when I wring them out. :drink:

And a slice of fruit away from a white lightning cocktail :thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m changing my view on Wetherspoons.

I hope a few more open in Brighton, they are incredible value, they really are. They are also generally the best run pubs around.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No zero hour contracts and they’ve paid well over £350m in bonuses to their staff. They also pay an astonishing amount of tax compared to retail.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Everything tastes good when you're standing next to a piss stained alcoholic with a handful of cardboard discount tokens.

I take it you haven't been to the one in Western Rd, Bexhill.
Downstairs has all the hallmarks of a saloon bar from the 1848 goldrush, while upstairs holds a roof top terrace with views over the nearby rail station :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Find a pub which doesn’t treat it’s suppliers like shit and isn’t run by one of the most unpleasant men in Britain

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I get the point about Tim Martin. Loathsome individual. However, own a mobile phone? Own clothing? Consume any product made by Coca Cola? Chances are you are funding exploitation of people on a regular basis.

I rarely drink in a spoons, but enjoy their breakfasts. I can live with that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I take it you haven't been to the one in Western Rd, Bexhill.
Downstairs has all the hallmarks of a saloon bar from the 1848 goldrush, while upstairs holds a roof top terrace with views over the nearby rail station :shrug:

Sounds a lot better than many other pubs I've been to! Of course, if the lack of Belgian beers or French bubbly is a problem for you .................. well, yes, that would be a problem.

...................... yours!

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sounds a lot better than many other pubs I've been to! Of course, if the lack of Belgian beers or French bubbly is a problem for you .................. well, yes, that would be a problem.

...................... yours!

Wetherspoons is a bit too high brow for me.
Mrs AR and moi took my dad to the one in Bexhill for Sunday lunch, food was OK, but too many kids,with snot hanging out of their noses running about untamed, whilst the parents quaffed diet coke.

I prefer country pubs, the way they should be.
You should try the King William in Ipsden :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get the point about Tim Martin. Loathsome individual. However, own a mobile phone? Own clothing? Consume any product made by Coca Cola? Chances are you are funding exploitation of people on a regular basis.

I rarely drink in a spoons, but enjoy their breakfasts. I can live with that.

The one in Burgess Hill can’t even employ anyone that knows how to fry an egg without making a total mess of it……with so many other good brekkie joints locally, Spoons is an absolute last resort for a fry-up for me. Agree re Tim Martin though. Nasty piece of work.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
proper ales. Wetherspoons has always promoted ales, CAMRA member. usually each pub has a range of local or regional ales, ranging from pales to stouts, from two or three breweries, have a proper tasting session. covid has reduced range in the one i go to, hopefully this'll see a return to broader range.

they also have range of lagers from across the world, particularly eastern europe (well aware of the irony), alongside some faux craft ales and standard keg fizz for the unadventerous. and a wide range of gins too for those inclined.

You are Tim Martin and I claim my £5.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You may hate Tim Martin, sneer at the customers, deride the beer and food quality, but you have to admire the use of some of the buildings, that often would have been otherwise left to rot.

This is a classic example, the Samuel Peto, in Folkestone.

83C78568-7928-4F40-8EB3-3DC41AA334E4.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here