Don’t buy it
Don’t acknowledge its name
Don’t link to it
Don’t read it online

#JFT97

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Most Pub companies are pulling adverts for promotions out of respect. Even suspended social media posts. Spoons go the other way, says it all really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The one in Redhill is the sort of Spoons that everyone thinks off when you mention that pub chain. All the haggle toothed fag smelling demi-tramp types seem to live there. Then in the evenings it is transformed into a sixth form and returning student drinking establishment of choice because of the prices.

So clearly it has its place, but it isn't my place.

As others have said, they do vary in quality. There is one at Canary Wharf which is pretty decent. Ridiculously cheap and an absence of the sort of clientele people are talking about avoiding. Even the food looks normal.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
I quite like a Spoons, saves a fair amount of money. Normally go to the one in North Street before the home games and various different ones before aways. Never had a problem, our little group of 3 getting a round for about a tenner, happy with that.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Most Pub companies are pulling adverts for promotions out of respect. Even suspended social media posts. Spoons go the other way, says it all really.

Where have they gone the other way, Wetherspoons does not use social media and where have you seen any adverts ? This protest against VAT in hospitality by reducing prices one day a year is something that is done annually.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am told that the clientele varies from place to place.

I have only been threated with violence in a pub three times. All in the Faversham 'spoons, and in the space of 40 minutes. :shrug:

You shouldn’t have tried to nick punters’ pints when you thought they weren’t looking, Harry.:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
During July and last month due to work I had the very bad misfortune of having to work in Croydon, including a few nights in the final week of staying at a Premier Inn. This was necessitated by rail strikes and the unreliable state of the railway network on a non-strike day.

I did on a couple of nights get the train from East Croydon to Victoria to seek civilisation in central London, however on more than one occasion I was drawn to The George....aka Wetherspoons branch in central Croydon...........It was right up there with the worst clientele of any pub I've ever been in. Drug taking, arguments, fights, eyeballing, police officers turning up, a barmaid being racially abused and being called a 'n' word. :facepalm:

I know that in the Hastings branch of Wetherspoon's Guinness is cheaper than in Bexhill, Tunbridge Wells, either of the 2 in Eastbourne etc, because Wetherspoons designate Hastings a deprived seaside town, yet in Croydon it was even cheaper than that. What the hell do they designate Croydon then? I got chatting to some American tourists who fell for whatever advertising spiel Jurys Inn in Croydon spun, as well as it presumable being far cheaper than central London and I said to them 'If I was a foreign tourist to London I wouldn't be staying in south London' and they bravely grimaced back at me and said 'we realised that too late'. :facepalm: I bet they never come back to The UK.

Brand new entry though at number one for the worst Wetherspoons I've ever been in though - The George, Croydon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
During July and last month due to work I had the very bad misfortune of having to work in Croydon, including a few nights in the final week of staying at a Premier Inn. This was necessitated by rail strikes and the unreliable state of the railway network on a non-strike day.

I did on a couple of nights get the train from East Croydon to Victoria to seek civilisation in central London, however on more than one occasion I was drawn to The George....aka Wetherspoons branch in central Croydon...........It was right up there with the worst clientele of any pub I've ever been in. Drug taking, arguments, fights, eyeballing, police officers turning up, a barmaid being racially abused and being called a 'n' word. :facepalm:

I know that in the Hastings branch of Wetherspoon's Guinness is cheaper than in Bexhill, Tunbridge Wells, either of the 2 in Eastbourne etc, because Wetherspoons designate Hastings a deprived seaside town, yet in Croydon it was even cheaper than that. What the hell do they designate Croydon then? I got chatting to some American tourists who fell for whatever advertising spiel Jurys Inn in Croydon spun, as well as it presumable being far cheaper than central London and I said to them 'If I was a foreign tourist to London I wouldn't be staying in south London' and they bravely grimaced back at me and said 'we realised that too late'. :facepalm: I bet they never come back to The UK.

Brand new entry though at number one for the worst Wetherspoons I've ever been in though - The George, Croydon.

The fact many have bouncers on the door says it all. Haven’t stepped in one since 2016, their owner is truly odious individual, I’d rather go to my local instead, no fights and the beer is in date

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agree on the Croydon one , I was early for a meeting and couldn’t find an open coffee shop near it (weird I know) so went in. It was as terrible and depressing as you’d imagine in a Spoons, in Croydon at 9am or whenever it was

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here