Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Wetherspoons is slashing its prices by 7.5% – but for one day only

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
The only snobby bit about the Hungry Years was if you knew at what point of the evening the solitary bowl of dirty, luke warm water was replenished, so you could get a (relatively) clean plastic glass.
Yes, I worked there.... ;)

How would the anti ' spoons mob cope with the Public bar at the Years, some of the roughest purveyors of illegal substances in Brighton practically lived there in the '70s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought absolutely everyone had been threatened with violence in the Mill House ???

At 15 I was too young to bother with.

Anyway, we didn't drink in the public bar ???

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Love a spoons for a quick pint or two , £5 for two pints of ale , always have a good selection , you pay twice that in any other pub . Some right beer snobs around

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Beyond the fact HT has put his spinning rod to use her and has caught the usual Mackerel I don't recognise the clientele of my most visited 'spoons West Street And North Street and assumed the older rougher Marina crowd were off the fishing fleet.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How would the anti ' spoons mob cope with the Public bar at the Years, some of the roughest purveyors of illegal substances in Brighton practically lived there in the '70s.

I think it's reputation was somewhat worse than the reality, which was a few young kids having a good time. I was a regular for a couple of years in the mid 70s before getting banned by Peppa claiming I was one of said 'rough purveyors of illegal substances'.

At the time I was banned, I was still under 18 FFS, hardly 'El Chapo' :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Gosh, I thought down South were a bit more up-market.

We have two Spoons in Telford and both are reasonably up-market [measured buy the apparent class of the clientele].
Indeed, Saturdays, before 11am, for a full English and bottomless coffee for me & Mrs SS for under £12 [for both] is a treat to behold.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gosh, I though down South were a bit up-market.

We have two Spoons in Telford and both are reasonably up-market [measured buy the apparent class of the clientele].
Indeed, Saturdays, before 11am, for a full English and bottomless coffee for me & Mrs SS for under £12 [for both] is a treat to behold.

Maybe your standards have slipped since you've gone 'oop north ?

Although, from what I remember, maybe not :p

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Top bombing by the OP but the truth is there are Spoons, and then there are other Spoons.

Drank in The Rocket before Fulham. Cheap beer, full of Brighton, outside tables overlooking Putney Bridge and The Thames. What's not to like?

There was one in Birmingham that we walked in and turned round less than two feet into the door. There are boxers' conventions where the audience look less threatening and have more teeth.

And the food IS terrible. It just is.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Gosh, I though down South were a bit up-market.

I've drank many times in both of those establishments as I'm married to a Telford Lass.
I was only last weekend in the William Withering in Wellington.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t the Palace fans head for Spoons in West Street when we play. That says it all.for me.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've drank many times in both of those establishments as I'm married to a Telford Lass.
I was only last weekend in the William Withering in Wellington.

Yes, the WW @ W is the better of the two - think I was in there about 10;30 last Saturday too.
Once a month, or so, I'll go there with an old work mate and we'd drink too much cheap Stella and grab a kebab before seeking a cab home - makes me feel young again without consuming too much of my pension..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here