Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West pier

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It sat there in ruins for decades and when on the brink of getting funds for restoration suddenly burns down.An empty pier surrounded by the sea , what possible accident could have started that fire.If the Police are not still investigating they want shagging ,every body in Sussex knows the East pier owners burnt the West pier down .
Well I thought the same. Only the owners of the palace pier had the motive. But it turns out there was another...
My uni dissertation was based around piers. The collapse and fire happened whilst I was writing it, which was quite handy, as the West Pier was my prime example.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Never mind the West Pier. Let's rebuild the Chain Pier!

chain_pier_watercolour.jpg

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Has to be done. The ONLY Grade 1 pier in the UK. Brighton deserves two Piers, the Brighton Pier and the West Pier. Modern offshore piling techniques and private equity will make it a relatively cheap build and one with huge potential.

TNBA

TTF
Just one thing stopping anything being done its a dinosaur called the West Pier Trust.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bridge to Nowhere

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I agree it has artistic qualities to it, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as beautiful!

Surely it's past the point of restoration now?

The Delivery Bike was upside down in the front garden for want of a 26 x 1¾ back tyre (they have to be ordered and it takes time) and a scrap metal man called. The bike has got a lease of life but I'd sooner have a new shiny one (with a more modern design).

The West Pier is past a new lease of life. It needs to replaced by a shiny new pier. And paid out of capitalists money or else it is unfair competition for the other pier.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And the Hotel Burned to the Ground

The finest example of Victorian Engineering. Eugenius Birch will be turning in his grave to see the state of it now.

I expect he will be laughing his head orf. It was a confidence trick from the beginning. Ingenious yes. The design was crap and it was in the wrong place: the pier supports were originally sand-blasted to bits by the sea and the amount iron used it in its construction was tantamount to fraud. And furthermore, the owners deliberately neglected it. And the owners got out of their responsibilities like a football club that could not support itself, sold for £1 to Prince *****.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sad but inevitable BoF, to much infighting and not enough action has allowed this to happen, it is now a Grade 1 collection of metal girders and will never ever get rebuilt.We will just watch it crumble away in stages.

I've previously defended the West Pier Trust, but there seems to have been a lot of money flying about and very little action. Work seems to be going ahead in preparation for the i360, but I won't hold my breath on that. I'm actually a little sceptical of the whole project. It might bring excitement to visitors, but what will it bring to the locals? Sure, there will be visitors spending money, but will it look good on our seafront?

Sad times.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sad but inevitable BoF, to much infighting and not enough action has allowed this to happen, it is now a Grade 1 collection of metal girders and will never ever get rebuilt.We will just watch it crumble away in stages.

I've previously defended the West Pier Trust, but there seems to have been a lot of money flying about and very little action. Work seems to be going ahead in preparation for the i360, but I won't hold my breath on that. I'm actually a little sceptical of the whole project. It might bring excitement to visitors, but what will it bring to the locals? Sure, there will be visitors spending money, but will it look good on our seafront?

Sad times.

Dec 29, 2011
It's the most beautiful thing in Brighton, when I'm old I'll have fond memories of spending time on the beach in the summer, with the sun setting behind the iconic structure that Brighton has become so well know for. Hopefully it will remain for another decade, but I'm not holding my breath :(

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's the most beautiful thing in Brighton, when I'm old I'll have fond memories of spending time on the beach in the summer, with the sun setting behind the iconic structure that Brighton has become so well know for. Hopefully it will remain for another decade, but I'm not holding my breath :(

Agreed.

With the sun setting behind it, it looks beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here