Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West pier

northern seagall

Nov 15, 2011
there is a report in The Argus about rebuilding the West Pier, I am in 2 minds about this as I think it looks beautiful as it is and I think I would miss it.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I used to live over the road from it. I want it rebuilt to when the sign used to glow "wet pie" through the front window.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Has to be done. The ONLY Grade 1 pier in the UK. Brighton deserves two Piers, the Brighton Pier and the West Pier. Modern offshore piling techniques and private equity will make it a relatively cheap build and one with huge potential.

TNBA

TTF

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
It sat there in ruins for decades and when on the brink of getting funds for restoration suddenly burns down.An empty pier surrounded by the sea , what possible accident could have started that fire.If the Police are not still investigating they want shagging ,every body in Sussex knows the East pier owners burnt the West pier down .

I'm not arguing with your point, just waiting for the mods to remove the post for legal reasons! No-one has ever worked out who was in the speedboat spotted on the day, and I have the same theory as the rest of the town.

northern seagall

Nov 15, 2011
I have stood on a balcony at The Grand early morning on match day with a cup of tea, the seagulls in full morning song, Palace Pier on my left West Pier on my right in my opinion that view takes some beating.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I agree that it does look iconic as it is, but at some point in the future it will collapse and disappear forever so we may as well do something with it now. I am no architect but I'm guessing a total rebuild is required? I'd like to see something contempory but with a few nods to the old structures. As long as it's very different to the Palace Pier. Be good to see an arts centre there.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We have a fine tradition in this City of buildings fortuitously bursting into flames when repair, renewal or awkward planning issues come to the fore.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The finest example of Victorian Engineering. Eugenius Birch will be turning in his grave to see the state of it now. My uni dissertation was based around piers. The collapse and fire happened whilst I was writing it, which was quite handy, as the West Pier was my prime example. Almost 40 piers have been lost to a variety of tragedies from 1880 onwards.

However, if nothing is to be done to it, I would certainly not scrap it. I'd quite like an Eden project type project on it. I don't think there would be a market for another fun fair and can't imagine Brighton being able to sustain another theatre.

Mike Holland has a history of big ideas and little action, doesn't he?

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
The owners of the East pier will only burn it down to remove the competition, as they did the origonal west pier to ensure it did not get rebuilt.

East Pier? EAST PIER? Tis the only time you are ever allowed to use the word 'Palace' in a positive context. It was never the Brighton Pier.

Now the owners of the Palace Pier won't burn it down because they are gone aren't they? If I'm not up to date here then appologies.

The owners of the Palace Pier did not burn the West Pier down. It just suddenly burst into flames twice as wet timber has a strange habit of doing this, and often when its restoration has become a real possibility.

I would love to see the West Pier again, I just about remember it. I love the ruin it is now because of the great pictures I can take. It's not going to happen though.

northern seagall

Nov 15, 2011
Has there ever been a discussion on what the West Pier should be if it was to be re built ? if so what was the popular choices ?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I love it, got some great photos of the west pier over the years but on the whole, i suppose its just a rusty lump of metal sticking out of the sea....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here