Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham looking at poyet

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO West Ham would jump at the chance to grab Gus as they can see his potential. They are not a 'big' enough club to go after a top name of proven experience and the best they could hope for is Chris Hughton or possibly and I wouldnt rule it out under the new owners, a return for Curbishley. history asks you what big name managers have West have ever had they have always in the past and probably in the fututre brought on their own, untried or unknown managers.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm friends with a fair few West Ham fans and although they like Poyet and the way he plays, he is still unproven as a manager. Remember he hasn't completed a full season as a manager yet...

Strangely, they seem to think its in Gold and Sullivan's business plan to get relegated so they can clear the deck of overpaid players, using relegation release clauses in their contracts and start again from a better financial position. Parachute payments and vastly smaller wages will soon start to clear the debt for them.

With Grant, if Gold and Sullivan had got a move on and stopped giving Avram 3 games to save his job, said "sorry, you're not performing" and got rid, Massive Sam would already be in, bringing Chris Samba and long ball football with him.

Not sure how much I ascribe to this theory but I've heard it from different fans countless times now.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Gus knows enough about football to not be tempted into working with a couple of crooks like Sullivan and Gold.

Not a worry

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
think about if he went now and west ham went down they could be in the position we could be in next year after relegation whereas we will be there after promotion...common sense would say stay where you

Micky Adams did just that when he went to leicester, didn't he?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm friends with a fair few West Ham fans and although they like Poyet and the way he plays, he is still unproven as a manager. Remember he hasn't completed a full season as a manager yet...

Strangely, they seem to think its in Gold and Sullivan's business plan to get relegated so they can clear the deck of overpaid players, using relegation release clauses in their contracts and start again from a better financial position. Parachute payments and vastly smaller wages will soon start to clear the debt for them.

That has been my view for a long time to get players like Dyer Upson Green etc off of the wage bill. I think there is no possibility whatsoever of Allardyce going there Hughton possibly as he appears to be a yes man and that is what Gold and Sullivan want, I think. That is another reason Gus wont go there as I do not think that he is a yes man , he wants to do things on the field his way.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Firstly to everyone deluded enough to think that we are as attractive as the West Ham job dream on. They are years ahead of us in terms of base support, squad and facillites. If they came calling then Gus would be very tempted.

Secondly, there is no chance in hell that West Ham would want Gus Poyet in their position. It is imperative that they stay in the Premiership according to Gold and Sullivan and employing a manager who has nothing more than division 3 experience to keep a team in that league would be suicide. Never ever going to happen, they will want top flight experience.

this. spot on sir.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Which kinda conflicts with the stories in todays press about wanting to sign Wayne Bridge on £90k a week.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would just like Gus to come out and say " I am happy where I am, I want to see this job through for a couple of seasons" he could do this in the matchday programme, website or any media...

That would certainly stop my worrying..

Firstly, he wouldn't go any further than what he has already said, basically, he's happy but if something good comes along to further his career he could be interested, and secondly, even if he did come out and say something more definite, it would be meaningless - contracts and promises are broken al the time.

Face it, all the time he's here, and we're playing decent football and getting results he is going to be linked with everything that comes up - can't do anything about that, but it is effectively a compliment to us.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Firstly to everyone deluded enough to think that we are as attractive as the West Ham job dream on. They are years ahead of us in terms of base support, squad and facillites. If they came calling then Gus would be very tempted.

Secondly, there is no chance in hell that West Ham would want Gus Poyet in their position. It is imperative that they stay in the Premiership according to Gold and Sullivan and employing a manager who has nothing more than division 3 experience to keep a team in that league would be suicide. Never ever going to happen, they will want top flight experience.

Spot on.

Plus even if he was offered the job he would be mad to go there. They are going down no matter who they have as manager.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Spot on.

Plus even if he was offered the job he would be mad to go there. They are going down no matter who they have as manager.

Just to play devils advocate - as I don't think he should go either - but, you're talking about a slightly different class of player, as I've already said, they're linked with paying £90k a week for Bridge, and you already have the likes of Green and Parker. They are certainly not doomed to relegation yet, one win would see them climb 6 places, the recent couple of wins have kept them in touch - if you think there is enough in the squad to say, get 5 more wins out of them, there's every chance of staying up and building from there ... however, of all the prem teams, I'd personally like to see them go down.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just to play devils advocate - as I don't think he should go either - but, you're talking about a slightly different class of player, as I've already said, they're linked with paying £90k a week for Bridge, and you already have the likes of Green and Parker. They are certainly not doomed to relegation yet, one win would see them climb 6 places, the recent couple of wins have kept them in touch - if you think there is enough in the squad to say, get 5 more wins out of them, there's every chance of staying up and building from there ... however, of all the prem teams, I'd personally like to see them go down.

They have some good players, Noble to go along with the ones you mentioned, however they have some utter rubbish as well and there is rumours about Parker leaving every 5 minutes.

I would love them to go down

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hodgson is available.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
If West Ham want Gus he'd go like a shot. However, he would not go there to fail, and I imagine would want a big transfer kitty.

I just hope West Ham can't afford him, or want someone else more !!

Their chairmen have a damning record, they are headed down, any manager under immediate pressure and looking over his shoulder, the squad is weak and threatened to get weaker if their better players leave, and they don't have an exciting future imminent like BHAFC - the gloomy clouds hanging over that club won't be dissipating any time soon either.

Gus won't be saying "hola" to the Hammers I don't think

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They have some good players, Noble to go along with the ones you mentioned, however they have some utter rubbish as well and there is rumours about Parker leaving every 5 minutes.

I would love them to go down

Oh, I agree - I feel they are probably the worst team in the prem this year, and I hope they go down too. I was just trying to think why it might be tempting, if it were offered. I think it's difficult to second guess anything at the moment - and for all we know they could offer, say, a £30m xfer kitty.

I wouldn't want to work for those two, but from memory, didn't they back most of their managers quite well financially when they were at Birmingham, until they fell out with each of them ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Oh, I agree - I feel they are probably the worst team in the prem this year, and I hope they go down too. I was just trying to think why it might be tempting, if it were offered. I think it's difficult to second guess anything at the moment - and for all we know they could offer, say, a £30m xfer kitty.

I wouldn't want to work for those two, but from memory, didn't they back most of their managers quite well financially when they were at Birmingham, until they fell out with each of them ?

They spent quite a bit one season to stay up , they brought in players like Zarate on loan.

I forgot they signed Thoams Hitzlsperger in the summer. Been injured all season, Big laughs.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham

Gold and sullivan took over Birmingham in 1993. Terry cooper was there at the time. At the end of that season they sacked Terry Cooper. Barry Fry came in for two seasons and despite being given money failed to get promotion. He was replaced by Trevor Francis who was given money and lasted 5 years. They then brought in Steve Bruce who stayed til 2007 and left Birmingham in an argument over not being able to make long term plans because Gold and Sullivan wanted to sell Birmingham. Mcleish came in and is still there. In fairness to them, they are hardly sacking chairmen. They are clearly very ruthless. If you look at what they did with Birmingham they deconstructed the team got rid of the deadwood and then rebuilt, backing their managers with money.

West Ham have been mismanaged at a corporate level for about 10 years. This is a decent sized team with an incredibly passionate loyal and long suffering fan base. The fact that they have players like kieron Dyer on 90k a week having cost 6 million and played about 20 games in 4 years, is a clear example of the lunacy that have led west ham into such debt. You could make a long list of other equally good examples going back to harry redknapp.

It would seem entirely credible, if somewhat ruthless for two hard nosed businessmen to come in, clear out the rotteness, get rid of the deadwood, even endure relegation, and then start again rebuilding with a bright young manager with huge potential and the backing him with a decent sized budget.

With all due repect to Gus I really dont see why he wouldnt find this prospect attractive. Gold and Sullivan could clearly use Steve Bruce as an example of a manager, who they showed patience with and backed as he rebuilt Birmingham. Gus clearly would like a long term project, and I think West Ham are a more attractive long term project than us.

The one thing that mitigates against this scenario, is that whilst Gus would fit the West Ham style, I dont think he fits the Gold and Sullivan profile of a manager. He's too flair. Look at Zola he clearly ticked all the boxes Gus does, and he was forced out from the day he arrived. Which is a shame. I do like West Ham, despite the level of incompetence around the club, and I think given patience Zola would have grown into the role. I also think with the right manager Gold and Sullivan will turn West ham around. Just not this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here