Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham fans anti - semitic chanting BBC News

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No it doesn't, there is no evidence of this like there is no evidence of any distress caused to groups by others just holding opinions.

No it isn't. PC brigade was a label given to a group exibiting certain behaviors. Such as, claiming support for groups based on no evidence that was needed, implying causation where there is none(see first sentence in reply). Advocating special protection for certain groups, vis priveleges.

In reply to your first sentence, don't you think that prejudice festered into the malign forces that distressed and then killed millions as witches in Europe, Jews in Europe, Blacks in South Africa and America, etc.?

As to your second, I can't make head nor tail of that jumble, what is the point you are trying to make?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No, cos I think it's bollox.
We went to war for our own reasons in WW2, absolutely nothing to do with the holocaust, if we were protecting the Jewish people in Europe, we would hae declared war much sooner than we did. We didn't do much to save them, after we declared war, not even acknowledging the existence of the death camps until very near the end. To say that we are now encouraging anti semetism by allowing Muslim immigration in to this country is laughable,it maybe causing a rise in anti Jewish/Israeli sentiment, but i dont think this was the intention

Try reading what I actually posted defeating old Adolf And saving the jews in the process,, last 3 words are key. Good luck with your comprehension lessons.:)

Oh and I didn't say encourage anti-sematism, more a case of moral terror.

What do you beleive was the intention?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
In reply to your first sentence, don't you think that prejudice festered into the malign forces that distressed and then killed millions as witches in Europe, Jews in Europe, Blacks in South Africa and America, etc.?

No, igorance killed witches. Jews were scapegoats, at the time in Germany they were in the process of assimilating. Dr Veorwood(spelling)'s apartite was out of the fear of British eventual Democratisation rather than any malign view of Blacks, the same reason why Smith Declared UDI in Rhodesia. Oh and blacks were treated like shit from the off, slaves, moving to just telling jokes or hating would be an upgrade. Your arguments back to front here.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Dr Veorwood(spelling)'s apartite was out of the fear of British eventual Democratisation rather than any malign view of Blacks, the same reason why Smith Declared UDI in Rhodesia.

I almost can't be arsed...but if that nice Dr. Verwoerd was more worried about democratization than his view of black South Africans as subhuman (or racially inferior), why did he strive so hard to keep the races apart and treat such as Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela (and thousands of others) so "poorly"? If you are truly worried about the Great Threat of Democracy, why throw agitators out of police station windows, torture and incarcerate others in inhuman conditions, and make countless others "disappear"? (Biko was naked and manacled for 20 days before he was assaulted in custody and killed). Like their leaders, the Gestapo-like "security forces" and police did indeed have a very malign view of their black compatriots.

You believe Verwoerd was a worry-wort politician, not a cruel racist bigot. As for Ian Smith, "give the blicks enough roape and they will hing thimsilves". In reality, both these leaders absolutely had a malign view of blacks. I lived through those years.

Face it and call it how it was and please, don't rewrite history. Sure, Verwoerd and Smith were politicians and may have feared democracy but in large part because they also happened to be vicious and unapologetic racists. End of.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Jews assimilate well in most societies. They are also one of the very few races from a stateless nation not to have lost their identity, even after the dispersion (AD70).

Whilst I think some Jewish folk can slightly muddy the waters between anti semitic ideology and opposition to Israeli politics, I can understand why a siege mentality exists.

When you have spent centuries dealing with people who want to destroy you it's hardly surprising.

As for the entry that suggested Jews stick to their own circles, that is a tad inaccurate. To put it lightly. But people of the same race will always have a natural bond, especially in adversity.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It is not sinister, it is almost traditional at Spurs games, like homophobic abuse at Brighton games. It is a hangover from the past, a way of winding up the opposition, not a true reflection on how people really think, but it is time for it to go.

Not condoning it for a second but if anti Semitic chanting at a West Ham Spurs game is news to you you haven't been following football for long

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not condoning it for a second but if anti Semitic chanting at a West Ham Spurs game is news to you you haven't been following football for long

If you think that what I wrote suggested it was news to me, you haven't been reading English for very long.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
South Tottenham / Stamford Hill are both big Jewish areas - but like I said earlier the whole thing about a large majority of Spurs fans being Jewish is a myth.

Lived there myself for a few months once upon a time, nice area right by the river. Pubs were a bit thin on the ground though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Nearly half of the British population agreed with one of four antisemitic statements presented to them according to a new poll, which found that one in eight of those surveyed believe that Jewish people use the Holocaust as a means of gaining sympathy.

Which part of the quote about 1 in 8 is anti-semitic?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't be arsed to read through this thread, but suffice to say those people doing the chanting in the video are nothing but an embarrassment to West Ham. Many on here know I used to be a season ticket holder at Upton Park back in the day and the Spurs games were always the most depressing, both because of the results, the violence and the predictable anti-semitic chanting which quite frankly disgusts me. I hope the people are caught and that the club follow through on their threat to ban them for life I know that Gold is particularly pissed off by this. This kind of behaviour is abhorrent and should not be tolerated.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, igorance killed witches. Jews were scapegoats, at the time in Germany they were in the process of assimilating. Dr Veorwood(spelling)'s apartite was out of the fear of British eventual Democratisation rather than any malign view of Blacks, the same reason why Smith Declared UDI in Rhodesia. Oh and blacks were treated like shit from the off, slaves, moving to just telling jokes or hating would be an upgrade. Your arguments back to front here.

Well, after being treated to that, whistle-stop, one-eyed tangle of garbage history I now fully understand the self parody of your username.

"Ignorance", "scapegoats", "fear", "treated like shit" all had their roots in prejudice.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nearly half of the British population agreed with one of four antisemitic statements presented to them according to a new poll, which found that one in eight of those surveyed believe that Jewish people use the Holocaust as a means of gaining sympathy.

It also found that one in four (25%) Britons believed that Jews chase money more than other British people, a figure which rose to 39% of those participants who identified themselves as Ukip voters.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/uk-jewish-antisemitism-rise-yougov-poll

The only part of that article worth reading:

The Guardian Article said:
Sacerdoti said that the findings did not necessarily mean that half of the population of the UK was antisemitic, but that it was quite possible that many people had picked up on stereotypes.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just saw on BBC news a report on some west ham fans anti-semitic chanting on returning from the spurs game.

What is wrong with some of these people ! First Chelsea now West ham.

Embarrassing and pathetic . ( Jewish people make up less than 0.5 % of the population i understand)

Is it mob mentality or something more sinister ? Seems particularly odd as Jewish people seem to be so well intergrated into British society.

Much as this is another group of low intelligence neanderthals making the headlines I do think that the media need to treat this and the Chelsea incident very differently.

West Ham making anti-semitic chants on their way to a Spurs game is actually nothing to do with Jewish people. Its about insulting the opposition by using a stereotype associated with the opposing fans in a derogatory way. (Exactly the same as the homophobic abuse directed at us - not really about gay people, just a way of insulting the opposition). This is wrong, juvenile and should be stamped out. It isn't insulting Jewish people because of their Religion, its insulting a non-Jew by suggesting that they are the same as Jews and that Jews are somehow inferior. Racism, but in my opinion, racism "one step removed".

Chelsea fans physically stopping someone boarding the same train as them because of skin colour is a direct and personal attack on an individual solely down to the prejudices of the perpetrators. In my opinion this is, by far, the greater of the two crimes [not to belittle the first, that is also serious, but this is worse].

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I almost can't be arsed...but if that nice Dr. Verwoerd was more worried about democratization than his view of black South Africans as subhuman (or racially inferior), why did he strive so hard to keep the races apart and treat such as Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela (and thousands of others) so "poorly"? If you are truly worried about the Great Threat of Democracy, why throw agitators out of police station windows, torture and incarcerate others in inhuman conditions, and make countless others "disappear"? (Biko was naked and manacled for 20 days before he was assaulted in custody and killed). Like their leaders, the Gestapo-like "security forces" and police did indeed have a very malign view of their black compatriots.

You believe Verwoerd was a worry-wort politician, not a cruel racist bigot. As for Ian Smith, "give the blicks enough roape and they will hing thimsilves". In reality, both these leaders absolutely had a malign view of blacks. I lived through those years.

Face it and call it how it was and please, don't rewrite history. Sure, Verwoerd and Smith were politicians and may have feared democracy but in large part because they also happened to be vicious and unapologetic racists. End of.
He wasn't wrong though was he ? What a wonderful place it is now, a lot of it down to Blair and his cronies, here's what Boris has to say

"I can’t imagine that anyone in his right mind would actually want to go to the 91st birthday party of Robert Gabriel Mugabe, which takes place this Saturday.

It promises to be an event of truly spectacular moral ugliness. While his people are starving, the ancient despot will convoke 20,000 cronies at a kind of golf club-cum-safari lodge near the Victoria Falls. In scenes reminiscent of the more disgusting and luxurious behaviour of the emperor Commodus, he will cause various exotic beasts to be slaughtered for the feast.

Five impalas will be roasted, two sables, two buffaloes – and then, to the ululations of his drunken Zanu-PF supporters, there will be a series of culinary climaxes, each more revolting than the last. A local farmer has procured two elephants, and after these rare and majestic creatures have been butchered for the delectation of the semi-deified Mugabe, there will be one more type of meat to come – an animal that you might think was semi-sacred, whose killing should be taboo, a creature that people would never normally dream of eating. Yes, a lion, the king of the animal kingdom, will lay down its life before the meat-maddened mob and have the honour of surrendering its mortal flesh to the palsied gullet of the man who still calls himself the “Hitler of Africa”.

And then, at last, the cake will appear, predicted to weigh 200lb, and in the most depraved and demoralising vignette of all, this crowd of brainwashed Zimbabweans will sweetly sing Happy Birthday to the man who has impoverished their country. This birthday party is predicted to cost $1 million at a time when Zimbabweans are living on 35 cents a day. Teachers across the country have been forced to contribute $10 each to put on the show.

The whole exercise is utterly nauseating – and my only question, as I say, is who on earth would want to be there?

Who is going to be toasting Mugabe in champagne and Tusker lager? Who is going to feature in the photo spread in the Zimbabwean equivalent of Hello! or OK!? I doubt that Britain will be represented at all – but by rights there is one man who damn well should be there, one man who should be down on the dance floor with Mugabe’s buxom assistants, and flashing his familiar glistering smile at the gathering.

If there were any justice in the world, that man would break off from giving advice to sundry other dubious regimes and help old Bob with the job of blowing out his candles. And that man, naturally, is Tony Blair.

Zimbabwe is now the second poorest nation on earth – beaten only by Congo for overall grimness. The people are so badly malnourished that one in three children is physically stunted, according to the UN. If you go there you see the ravages of HIV, the emaciated figures standing listlessly on street corners. Companies are constantly going to the wall.

But it is vital to recognise that Zimbabwe was not always like this, and did not have to be like this. This Mugabe tyranny is no accident – and Britain played a shameful part in the disaster. Readers will remember the 1979 Lancaster House Agreement, by which Margaret Thatcher granted independence to Rhodesia. At that time the country was a breadbasket, a flourishing agricultural producer, with about 6,000 commercial farmers. The only trouble with those farmers was that the most successful of them were white – and Mugabe’s long reign has been characterised by one overwhelming objective: to exterminate the last vestiges of white power, whether political or economic.

As he has said: “The white man is here as a second citizen. The only man you can trust is a dead white man.” So it was crucial that the Lancaster House Agreement protected the interests of these white farmers. They could, of course, be bought out, but their land could not be simply seized. There had to be a “willing buyer, willing seller”. The British government agreed to fund the arrangement, compensating the former colonial farmers for land that they gave up. Under that arrangement the white farmers were able to survive – more or less; Zimbabwe remained economically viable – more or less.

And then in 1997, along came Tony Blair and New Labour, and in a fit of avowed anti-colonialist fervour they unilaterally scrapped the arrangement. The overseas development minister, Clare Short, made it clear that neither she nor Blair gave a stuff about the former colonial farmers. As she put it at the time: “I should make it clear that we do not accept that Britain has a special responsibility to meet the costs of land purchase in Zimbabwe. We are a new government from diverse backgrounds, without links to former colonial interests. My own origins are Irish and, as you know, we were colonised not colonisers.”

May 1982: Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and her husband Denis say goodbye to Robert Mugabe at Downing Street

It was that betrayal of Lancaster House that gave Mugabe his pretext to launch his pogroms against the whites. I remember going to a place called Mazowe, not far from Harare, where Mugabe now has one of his vast personal ranches. I met an old ex-Rhodesian couple whose family came from near London, whose kitchen dresser bore the medals their relatives had won fighting for this country. I remember them physically trembling with fear of the Zanu-PF thugs who were waiting at the gate to their farm; and it wasn’t long before they were gone – driven out by sheer intimidation. They died not long afterwards.

The Labour government enlisted this country in all sorts of wars around the world, some more disastrous than others. British soldiers went to fight and die in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in the Balkans. Here we had people with close relatives in our own country – yes, our own kith and kin – and we did absolutely nothing. We turned our backs on the very people who were actually indispensable to the economic well-being of Zimbabwe, and Labour essentially allowed Mugabe to launch a racist tyranny.

It was Labour’s betrayal of the Lancaster House Agreement – driven by political correctness and cowardice – that gave Mugabe the pretext for the despotic confiscations by which he has rewarded his supporters. And that is why Blair should be there: to mark Labour’s special contribution to the tyrant’s longevity in office."

For me, Clair Short's statement in particular highlights the folly of multiculturalism, shes on record as having stated that she feels "passionately Irish" , really ? well **** off and live there then, her uncle paddy owns a bar in crossmaglen and is particularly vociferous in his support for the local provos, i bet she was a real asset during the talks for the good friday agreement, i just doubt it was the british government she was an asset to.

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Have you got the one documenting arrests for coin throwing? :wave:

Arrests for missile throwing 2013/2014 season:

Arsenal 1
Aston Villa 0
Cardiff City 1
Chelsea 2
Crystal Palace 1
Everton 2
Fulham 1
Hull City 0
Liverpool 1
Manchester City 1
Manchester United 3
Newcastle United 1
Norwich City 0
Southampton 1
Stoke City 0
Sunderland 0
Swansea City 1
Tottenham Hotspur 4
West Bromwich Albion 0
West Ham United 0

Sauce: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/352864/FootballRelatedArrestsBanningOrderSeason201314.pdf

I won't go any further back so as to avoid reminding you about the Palace bench being coined at Withdean on our last visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here