Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham fans anti - semitic chanting BBC News

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I was reffering to Spurs and Golders green area ,do I know any jews, well I've met some over the years but I don't move in their circles , hope that helps
regards
DR

South Tottenham / Stamford Hill are both big Jewish areas - but like I said earlier the whole thing about a large majority of Spurs fans being Jewish is a myth.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well look back in history and they've had perecution aimed at them through out the ages ,makes you wonder what the issues are , any idea?
regards
DR

I would have thought the 'issues'includes intolerance, ignorance and religious bigotry, but mainly a feeling of inferiority on behalf of the persecutors

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Anything deliberately said or sung to cause racial or homophobic tension must surely be wrong?
I don't know how Arsenal get away with the anti semitic stuff week in week out.
Even if Spurs fans are not offended....a lot of black and gay people may say the same......it is wrong and unnecessary.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just saw on BBC news a report on some west ham fans anti-semitic chanting on returning from the spurs game.

What is wrong with some of these people ! First Chelsea now West ham.

Embarrassing and pathetic . ( Jewish people make up less than 0.5 % of the population i understand)

Is it mob mentality or something more sinister ? Seems particularly odd as Jewish people seem to be so well intergrated into British society.

It is not sinister, it is almost traditional at Spurs games, like homophobic abuse at Brighton games. It is a hangover from the past, a way of winding up the opposition, not a true reflection on how people really think, but it is time for it to go.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think most jews are smart enough to realise that a few drunken slobs getting going with the yido chants isn't going to lead to a pogrom. I think they have more concerns with more immediate arrivals to these shores who contain people with views a lot stronger than "He's only a poor little yido...etc".

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Uhhh ohh pc brigade out again

If the tolerant majority don't speak out against prejudice in all its forms then history teaches us that it can fester into something far worse.

Petty, small-minded bigots can feel threatened and use accusatory terms like pc but really, it's just deflection and it says far more about their insecurity than it does about the motivation of decent people.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A lot of jews follow spurs as their local adoptive team, to fit in so to speak. A lot of, if not most London teams support is now suburban, demographic shifts etc.

el punal

Really isn't much is it and doubt the Spurs fans would be fussed as 99.9% are not Jewish anyway...NEXT

Ok . . . NEXT. You're on the same train with Tony Bloom having a chat about all things Albion, when these "lads" start up their little ditties. Now, be honest, would you feel just a teeny, weeny bit embarrassed about the offence that is being caused? Or is it just a harmless bit of banter and don't get your knickers in a twist?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
well as i said they seem to have attracted suspicion over the years
regards
DR

Does Tony Bloom attract your suspicion? Do you find yourself wondering what his "issues" are?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
It is not sinister, it is almost traditional at Spurs games, like homophobic abuse at Brighton games. It is a hangover from the past, a way of winding up the opposition, not a true reflection on how people really think, but it is time for it to go.

Bar West Ham & Chelsea you very rarely - if ever - get any anti-semtic songs from away fans at Spurs, or even at away games.

The only time I've ever had problems because of it myself was out in Cyprus for a Europa League qualifier - we played AEL Limassol in Larnaca, and Lokomotiv Moscow played the other Limassol in Limassol - that night in Ayia Napa me & a pal got a clump (from behind) by about 6 Russians chanting 'White Power'. Who then challenged us to a kick-boxing fight. Bit weird. :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If the tolerant majority don't speak out against prejudice in all its forms then history teaches us that it can fester into something far worse.

No it doesn't, there is no evidence of this like there is no evidence of any distress caused to groups by others just holding opinions.

I
Petty, small-minded bigots can feel threatened and use accusatory terms like pc but really, it's just deflection and it says far more about their insecurity than it does about the motivation of decent people.

No it isn't. PC brigade was a label given to a group exibiting certain behaviors. Such as, claiming support for groups based on no evidence that was needed, implying causation where there is none(see first sentence in reply). Advocating special protection for certain groups, vis priveleges.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
double standards with the Palestinians seems to be right up there i would have thought
regards
DR
That's the last so many years.

Quite usual for you to not answer a direct question.

I'll make it simple for you.

Do you dislike Jews?

Why (if you dp)?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There is definitely something about the Jewish faith or culture that makes them more likely to be successful. While I think this is largely to do with their work ethic, ambition and focus on education - which are positive things - it seems that this is often misinterpreted by the ignorant and green-eyed as "greedy" or money mad, not helped by the bizarre and curiously widely believed conspiracy theory that Jews secretly run the world which has existed for centuries.

Unlike Islam and Christianity, historically there was no religious reason for a Jew not to charge interest on a loan to a non Jew. Jews became the money lenders in much of Europe, and lending was done at high interest rates. This is the origin of the stereo type that Jews love money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here