Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Brom sack Bilic.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree.

I know the Brom fans are unhappy now, but everywhere he’s been (bar Everton, and even then I think he was top 7 for a good while) he has done a good job.

Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland, Palace all on death row, he keeps them up. In fact, Sunderland fans were very upset to lose him to the England job.

Why do we care? I would now lump serious money on Brom staying up. This is Sams bread and butter. He is very good in these situations, the facts speak for themselves.

More mythology, I don't know how he does it? :shrug:

Bolton - 1 relegation battle when they were first promoted. They spent big and never recovered. He threw his toys out when they wouldn't spend more. Look what happened to them.
Blackburn - finished 10th the season before he arrived, they were a good side but Ince had lost the plot. They weren't really relegation material. Finished 13th, then the season after 10th. It wasn't a death row survival.
Sunderland - yes, the mythology in full flow.
Palace - 15 pts from 17 games when he took over in 17th, they'd won 4 drawn 3. They finished on 41 pts same as we did last season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With an appointment due ahead of the opening of the transfer window, are the West Brom board going to throw another £50m on players in attempt to stay up and give the new manager the investment they probably demanded to take the job (assuming an established manager).

This could be double edged, better players, but spend the next 10 games or so working out the best starting team, formation and achieving better results.

Before they play us at the end of February, they have two West Midland derbies, Liverpool, Tottenham away, plus Arsenal, Leeds, City and Utd at home as well as West Ham, Fulham, Sheffield Utd and Burnley.

To stand a chance of staying up, they probably need 14 points from these games, or double what they have achieved so far from a couple of more games.

Even with his past record can Big Sam (or who ever) achieve this?

I'm going to focus on what we do, rather than worrying what is going on elsewhere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am interested to see if Allardyce has still got it. He's been out of management for two and a half years, so has missed VAR and Covid completely. He's also at an age when Harry Redknapp started to lose it as a manager.

I also wonder how Chris Wilder is feeling at this news, his team 6 points below West Brom with the worst start in Prem history.

As for Bilic, getting sacked after picking up a point against Citeh is not the worst way to go and I can see him as an attractive candidate for any aspiring Championship club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting to see how this got leaked - it seems TalkSport had booked Allardyce to co-commentate some games this weekend and were told last night that he was no longer available.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I am interested to see if Allardyce has still got it. He's been out of management for two and a half years, so has missed VAR and Covid completely. He's also at an age when Harry Redknapp started to lose it as a manager.

I also wonder how Chris Wilder is feeling at this news, his team 6 points below West Brom with the worst start in Prem history.

As for Bilic, getting sacked after picking up a point against Citeh is not the worst way to go and I can see him as an attractive candidate for any aspiring Championship club.

I would 100% take him if Potter was to go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would 100% take him if Potter was to go.

Well lets face it, for a side currently 16th in the table, and just a couple of points off a relegation place, what sort of calibre of manager do people think we would be able to attract?

I would say it would need to be someone with the same sort of credentials as Bilic, another out of work ex lower Premier League club manager, someone from the top end of the Championship, or possibly an unknown quantity with a reasonable cv from overseas.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
When we played them the first see we were promoted their fans were were anti Pulis because of his style of play so it will be interesting to see what they would make of Alladyce...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The reality is that fans enjoy whatever style is winning them football matches. If West Brom stay up, the fans will be happy with the performances. If they get relegated, they won't be happy. It will always be the same.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
So it’s now Leeds, Palace and West Brom on my relegation wish-list. Grealish & Co get off the hook (like Jack did with his rumoured drunk driving).

Alledgedly he was in tears when the sentence was passed................a decision went against him at long last !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here