Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Brom sack Bilic.....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would be devastated if I was a WBA fan today.

Sacking a good man who was doing a decent job with really limited tools and replacing him with that CJTC. They've had Hodgson, Pulis and Pardew in recent years and now Allardyce. You have to feel for them.

Sunderland fans didn't think so and were desperate for him to stay when England came calling.

With the Jan window ahead, and with Alladyce, good chance they will survive imho...... At the end of the season if we're down and WBA survive let's see who's fans are calling for the managers head and whose are europhoric.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think Big Sam is a very decent and capable manager and a good fit for them in the position they're in. If Potter was sacked, and I think he deserves at least past the January window, I wouldn't mind him here at all and I think he might get more from our current squad.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sunderland fans didn't think so and were desperate for him to stay when England came calling.

With the Jan window ahead, and with Alladyce, good chance they will survive imho...... At the end of the season if we're down and WBA survive let's see who's fans are calling for the managers head and whose are europhoric.

If we were to go down with Potter and they stay up with Allardyce, I would still be happier than having that wanker in charge of our club.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
As a fan I get it, who wants dire negative hoof ball.

And luckily we have a fan chairman who also wants to enjoy what he watches.

But big Sam does make sense for many chairman. It's expensive in the championship and hard to get out of, the riches of the PL are hard won and easily lost and for most clubs they are businesses first and entertainers second.

Success and retaining their snouts in the trough by any means is the only yard stick, and fat Sam's record on avoiding relegation is so far 100%.

The WBA owners probably care nothing about style and just about retaining their slice of the pie and odds are big Sam has a greater chance of achieving that than Bilic.

Plain and simple hard reality.

Yes. West Brom's owners want to sell the club and they will get more money if the club is still in the Premier League.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If we were to go down with Potter and they stay up with Allardyce, I would still be happier than having that wanker in charge of our club.

I wouldn't.

I don't like Allardyce much or his brand of football. But I want to stay in the PL. And I want Brighton to stay at the highest level.

Managers like players come and go and I would not chose relegation with Potter over staying in the premier league with anyone else.

You do realise that to happily keep potter in the championship you will be waving goodbye to over half our squad including White, Lamptey and Bissouma?

No thanks I'd sooner bin potter than our best players.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very much doubt it, think Bloom has more sense.
It would be madness, this the WBA rumour is true I hope they go down more than ever now.

I hope they go down too, but only because there would be on less relagation place for us to worry about. I have no axe to grind with the Baggies otherwise, they are a fellow Albion after all.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This is very disappointing for us. Allardyce will keep them up, they've got a bit to work with already and no doubt he'll go out in January and get a few in to make them stronger and harder to beat. They've got a good core, with a strong goalkeeper.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
I wouldn't.

I don't like Allardyce much or his brand of football. But I want to stay in the PL. And I want Brighton to stay at the highest level.

Managers like players come and go and I would not chose relegation with Potter over staying in the premier league with anyone else.

You do realise that to happily keep potter in the championship you will be waving goodbye to over half our squad including White, Lamptey and Bissouma?

Everyone's different. Fully aware that if we went down (which I'm certain we're not going to by the way) that those three would leave. But the manager is more important than any player and I'm also confident Potter would have have us doing well in the Championship playing attractive football with other players - see what he did with Swansea.

I do not ever want us to go back to our football of 2018/2019 which completely sucked the joy out of football for me and it would be similar under that **** Sam. Plus, I want to like and respect our manager and I couldn't ever do that with him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wouldn't.

Absolutely this. The Premier League is the holy grail. Relegation would mean the loss of our best players, and a great deal of our matchday support.

Deride Sam Allardyce as much as you like, but he is a fire fighter, and has a good reocord of keeping threatened teams up. I can think of worse appointments.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Agree.

I know the Brom fans are unhappy now, but everywhere he’s been (bar Everton, and even then I think he was top 7 for a good while) he has done a good job.

Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland, Palace all on death row, he keeps them up. In fact, Sunderland fans were very upset to lose him to the England job.

Why do we care? I would now lump serious money on Brom staying up. This is Sams bread and butter. He is very good in these situations, the facts speak for themselves.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree.

I know the Brom fans are unhappy now, but everywhere he’s been (bar Everton, and even then I think he was top 7 for a good while) he has done a good job.

Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland, Palace all on death row, he keeps them up. In fact, Sunderland fans were very upset to lose him to the England job.

Why do we care? I would now lump serious money on Brom staying up. This is Sams bread and butter. He is very good in these situations, the facts speak for themselves.

Furthermore, if he keeps the Baggies up, it could well be to our detriment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Big Sam vs potter in a relaxation dog fight. Only one winner.

Indeed.

In a strange way, for the next few seasons, whilst we are going to be involved in a perennial dogfight for survival, this is the time to have the likes of Sam Allardyce at the helm, later on, when hopefully we start to become more established and successful, then that might be the time to employ a Graham Potter style of manager.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Deride Sam Allardyce as much as you like, but he is a fire fighter, and has a good reocord of keeping threatened teams up. I can think of worse appointments.

It's a myth!

He's been sacked more times than he has kept a relegation threatened side up. He's been at better sides and underachieved, Everton a prime example. What is this amazing record? He kept Sunderland and Blackburn up. Palace were good enough to stay up anyway. The only job's he's stayed with decent enough results - he's fallen out with owners because they didn't want to bankrupt themselves with his transfer demands.

We'll see now I guess, and I can be bounced when he keeps WBA up; I still say he's created a self perpetuating mythology around himself, his periods of awful management and dire performances forgotten because he kept the basketcase Sunderland up on the last day of the season. Potter's record in 2020 is nothing compared to some of Big Sam's runs of form with higher budgeted sides.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
It's a myth!

He's been sacked more times than he has kept a relegation threatened side up. He's been at better sides and underachieved, Everton a prime example. What is this amazing record? He kept Sunderland and Blackburn up. Palace were good enough to stay up anyway. The only job's he's stayed with decent enough results - he's fallen out with owners because they didn't want to bankrupt themselves with his transfer demands.

We'll see now I guess, and I can be bounced when he keeps WBA up; I still say he's created a self perpetuating mythology around himself, his periods of awful management and dire performances forgotten because he kept the basketcase Sunderland up on the last day of the season. Potter's record in 2020 is nothing compared to some of Big Sam's runs of form with higher budgeted sides.

Spot on, great post.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Indeed.

In a strange way, for the next few seasons, whilst we are going to be involved in a perennial dogfight for survival, this is the time to have the likes of Sam Allardyce at the helm, later on, when hopefully we start to become more established and successful, then that might be the time to employ a Graham Potter style of manager.
And people thought Hughton was anti football :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here