Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wendy Wilkins. .......

Presided over the most putrid display of football in the season he was manager ( even though we finished seventh that year)

Yes, although he was admired by the faithful, shouldn't be forgotten how he took quite a few Withdean league attendances down to the 4,000+ level.

Could ease pressure on the Amex transport infrastructure I guess.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't remember much about the games under Wilkins. I remember that I wasn't particularly bored by it, I didn't think it was worse than any of the football I saw come before it during the withdean years, and I remember not understanding why people were so critical of the football we played.

I'm wondering, without being able to remember the specifics of the game, was it as bad as people thought it was at the time, or was it ahead of its time, that is, now we are more used to patient build up football that previously would have been called boring (and has been by some fans at various points in the past five years), would it be better received?

Not that I want to find out. While I have nothing bad to say about Wilkins or e football we played under him, I don't have anything great to say about it and don't really want to go back again.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't remember much about the games under Wilkins. I remember that I wasn't particularly bored by it, I didn't think it was worse than any of the football I saw come before it during the withdean years, and I remember not understanding why people were so critical of the football we played.

I'm wondering, without being able to remember the specifics of the game, was it as bad as people thought it was at the time, or was it ahead of its time, that is, now we are more used to patient build up football that previously would have been called boring (and has been by some fans at various points in the past five years), would it be better received?

Not that I want to find out. While I have nothing bad to say about Wilkins or e football we played under him, I don't have anything great to say about it and don't really want to go back again.

I remember only four home league wins under him all too well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't recall it being THAT bad; it was certainly work in progress.

However, what came out from certain players later was a consistent message - outstandingly brilliant and thorough coach and tactician, appalling manager. You can hear OGH talking about him in Part 2 of his Roar interview - http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Behind the scenes on the training ground, DW had favourites and could verbally show-up any player not in that clique in front on everyone else. That's poor man-management and 'people skills'.

TB won't be going back to repeat that out-of-date style.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He was on a bonus for every youth player who turned out for the first team.

#JustSaying

I have heard that too, but I am far less surprised or feel this is seedy in some way.

I suspect this was a bonus ( if it is true ) during his spell as the youth team coach, seems to make some sense to me, especially as he was likely to be on quite meager wages.

If as it has been said that this clause carried forward during his managerial reign, then of course it might incentivise youth team selection, however is this such a bad thing, Wilkins specialty was developing youth and the senior players were hardly ripping things apart, probably some of the reason why there might have been some resentment from those players.

Who cares, to me a healthy 7th with young players seemed a good pay off than say a healthy 7th with aging players, many that soon would need shifting anyway.

It's worth considering about the new training centre being built and those currently managing it, that massive investment and the healthy wages paid to those that run it are paid to encourage the exact same incentive, to bring youth through, its the bonus upfront.

So you needn't look at it to slur Wilkins managerial stint, as we are doing the same today, just in a slightly different way.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't recall it being THAT bad; it was certainly work in progress.

However, what came out from certain players later was a consistent message - outstandingly brilliant and thorough coach and tactician, appalling manager. You can hear OGH talking about him in Part 2 of his Roar interview - http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Perhaps it's time you had a balanced view. Wilkins is a proper Albion legend he doubles OGH length of service.
Pick up the phone and get him on TLO you know it makes sense.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps it's time you had a balanced view. Wilkins is a proper Albion legend he doubles OGH length of service.
Pick up the phone and get him on TLO you know it makes sense.

I met him several times, and we had many discussions about all sorts of things. About tactics, he was happy to talk to anyone and everyone about it; he's quite the anorak. I even asked him if he minded if I offered an opinion on a given player, to which he was open and honest, giving a detailed and impressive response.

Talking to other players, they felt the same when it came to his tactics. It's his man-management that appalled so many of them.

That's not about being my opinion being balanced (which it is, by the way) - something no-one could ever accuse you of being when it comes to Dean Wilkins - that's about the pervading view. i.e. - it was consistently felt he was a great tactician and an awful manager.

OGH played more matches for the Albion than Wilkins, by the way, over a longer period of time. He earned his sobriquet for a reason, you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here