Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wembley, Wembley

Jimmy Grimble

Has the potential to be the best week of the season.

Or the worst ever.
Similar to 2019 hopefully. We beat Palace away 2–1 then a week later beat Millwall to get to Wembley…

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On the Grimsby board they all reckon they have a great chance of going through
That's because they've beaten five teams from leagues above them so far this season, and fair play to them for that (three League One including then leaders Plymouth, one Championship and now Saints).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll wager Southampton fans were thinking similar a few hours ago.
So confident in fact only about 14 of them showed up at St Mary's, last night.

A shameful attendance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not going to be an easy game. I think they will get 4000 again and make a lot of noise and they just look an awkward side to play. I can't say that they'll sit tight as well as Charlton or press as well as Stoke from what I saw last night but the buggers never give up. We'll certainly need our centre backs to be good in the air.

Let's not take this one for granted. Play at our best and we'll win but let them in at any point and we're in trouble.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have to win first.

Remember when Maxwells Oxford beat us at the Goldstone 3-0 (?Keith Cassells)
Thought we were on the Wembley trail then as well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We should win but let's not get ahead of ourselves eh? Roberto won't take it for granted and I'm sure he'll just put the word Charlton out there when we play Grimsby
Agree, if approach with the wrong attitude anything can happen. Need to treat Grimsby with respect to put out a strong team. Fantastic opportunity awaits...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Somebody lent this to me the other day, is it an omen :eek:

274ABEE7-16CC-4862-8D06-99D293DC4618.jpeg

el punal

So confident in fact only about 14 of them showed up at St Mary's, last night.

A shameful attendance.
Not surprising in this neck of the woods. Saints fans are the most disillusioned supporters in football. I don’t know why but they seem to perversely enjoy the misery of it all - give them something to moan about and they’ll be all over it like a rash.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We could not have asked for a friendlier draw. This really is a great opportunity to make the semi finals but we have to take it seriously and not be complacent. Grimsby will be bang up for it and they will play to stop us a tactic that has worked for other teams against us so we will need to be patient and make the extra quality count.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I think this thread should be set on fire and put in the bin forever. Why trouble the gods like this? No guarantees. And they have a total free hit in front of what will be a big away crowd. If they sit tight we struggle to break teams down who don't come out. Then 1 free kick or corner late on....

Aaaand the universe is re-balanced.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On the Grimsby board they all reckon they have a great chance of going through
Grimsby are 16th in division 4 having been non-league last season. Remember in 1998 when we finished 16th in division 4 with Richie Barker leading the line in his first full season in our second season at Gillingham? Can you imagine how excited we'd have been going to Middlesbrough with Ravanelli and Juninho in the FA Cup quarter final?

Basically that's where Grimsby are now. So fair play to them and their fans. They'll bring 5,000 and have a good go against a team in a higher division for the sixth time this season. Of course we should win, but it's hardly guaranteed. If all conquering Man City can lose to division 3 Wigan as they did a few years ago, then Grimsby can beat us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here