Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley - souless and sanitised!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I thought the stadium was fantastic. It looks great in terms of the design, feels great in terms of the atmosphere and looks brilliant as you approach it and leave it. I went to Frankfurt and Munich last year for World Cup games and the actual stadium itself beats them in my view. It is also well designed in terms of keeping the atmosphere in the stadium, good view whereever you sit and in terms of a football watching stadium it is as perfect as it gets for holding 90,000 people.

So the "howevers" for me were....

Seats by the tunnel being empty when the players come out is just bloody ridiculous. People coming back 15 minutes into the second half is bloody ridiculous. And I should add that included a lot of the Club Wembley people in the middle tier.

Food and drink - as already mentioned this is a complete joke. I took my nine year old child with plenty of goodies because I knew that I would be ripped off in the ground. So big bag of food which didn't seem to be a problem with the stewards. But I did buy some water (the normal crap about having lids removed applied) thus shortly the £2 quid bottles were emptied by clumsy feet!!

The lack of sellers outside of the ground was disappointing in a strange way. I expected to see flag/scarf sellers etc all over the place but this was almost non existent bar one pitch on Wembley way. This was made worse by the fact that the "souvenir outlets" inside were complete rubbish, hardly anything worth buying. I didn't get to the shop so can't comment.

The programme was actually only £5 which was cheaper than expected although still a crap read.

Toilets were good and only a small half time queue developed where I was. No Spurs fiasco!

Getting home was actually loads better than I expected and certainly better than I had experienced before. We legged it as soon as Brazil scored, and got to Wembley Way quite quick although seemingly behind a hell of a lot of people. We started queueing for the tube almost immediately with police controlling the flow very succesfully. We had parked at Uxbridge to avoid driving close in, and this worked well. We were on the tube by 10.10, only 15 mins after the end of the game. Platform was not chocker. Back to my car half an hour later, back in Worthing just after Midnight (slight delay caused by M25 delay J9-10, the pillocks had closed three lanes!!)

So anyway I think overall it gets 9/10. The things they could improve could be done pretty easily, but to be honest none of the "howevers" detracted that much from the experience. Its a great great stadium that can probably rightfully claim to be one of the best in the world, and arguably the best.

Quite enjoyed it,got home earlier than expected, train nearer midnight than 1 am

also enjoyed some woman in block 5 something (cant remember,where I was, top tier near half way line) havin a go at some northern monkeys for slaggin off Beckham, 5 mins later heard the bloke with her say "she's been supporting Brighton since 1979, she knows a shit player when she sees one":lolol:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Rookie said:
[B

Something has to be done about the corporate seats it a disgrace most of them don't appear till 10 - 15 minutes into the second half [/B]

thought i'd bounce this - the positioning of the corporate seats in relation to the TV cameras make it so very obvious that of the people there on corporate entertainment 90% do not give a shite about the match. To see them wobbling back out to their seats 20 mins into the 2nd half was just embarrassing. And don't get me started on the women trying to get to their seats in their best heels....:angry:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Were these the mass of empty red seats either side of the half way line at the front?

Looked pretty shite.

No atmosphere. If you're up in the top tier, better take your binoculars to watch the game.

No sense of participation in the game - most of the crowd a re too far away from the pitch.

Bizarrely - its too compfortable to enjoy football in.

No build up of atm osphere as you approach the stadium . Wembley way is still crap and even crappier now that there is nothing impressive at the end of the road.

All in all, a pretty antiseptic experience
It is just like Withdean really:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here