Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley - souless and sanitised!

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Ok, all you who went last night, what did you think?

My first impressions on exiting Wembley Park tube were favourable with the arch in the distance, it looked pretty good. However, as we got nearer to stadium it hit us that something about Wembley way had changed - it was just a funnell to get you to the ground, no cooking smells,no burgers, chips, hot dogs, flag and scarf sellers, no horns, no one even selling those crappy little metal badges. Just the same when you arrive at the stadium - the old days of milling around outside the ground chatting, looking at all the stalls, seem to have gone. No atmosphere at all outside the ground.

Everything is designed to get you in the ground as fast as possible so you can spend, spend, spend, on crap overpriced tasteless beer and food. It's all just so unimaginative, (Note for DK- do not let Falmer be like this!).

The ground is ok, although close up it just looks like some coporate headquarters, lots of glass, escalators to get you to the food and drink areas quicker, etc, but it is quite impressive when you see tha pitch and seating for the first time. Seats have plenty of leg room, and obviously great unrestricted views of the pitch, although from our seats up in the gods, the players were just little white and yellow pin pricks!

Decided to leave 10 mins early as the tube station was going to be a nightmare once the match finished, obviously none of the £750m was spent on infrastructure!

If you get the chance to go, spend as little time in the area as possible, there's absolutely no reason to get to the stadium early and eat and drink before you get there. Once the novelty has worn off going to Wembley will be a souless experience.

Overall, this was football at it's most sanitised and antiseptic, maybe premiershite fans are used to this but it's not the way football should be. Won't be going again unless the might BHA get there one day!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
by the statue of bobby moore was lots of people hanging around before going in. Agree with Wembley way they have to do it up it looks shocking.

The old wembley was souless during friendlies and stuff so this one will be no different. For the big games it will be superb.

Something has to be done about the corporate seats it a disgrace most of them don't appear till 10 - 15 minutes into the second half

SI 4 BHA said:
Once the novelty has worn off going to Wembley will be a souless experience.

Overall, this was football at it's most sanitised and antiseptic, maybe premiershite fans are used to this but it's not the way football should be. Won't be going again unless the might BHA get there one day!

Heaven forbid we get that horrid 'Falmer Stadium' sanitized place of business and worship.
Stick to the down-to-earth rusticity of Withdean eh?

It does make one refelect on the old wooden seats and barriers, the crumbling concrete terraces, and bent steel barriers of The Goldstone though :down:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Sincerely hoping the same doesn't happen with Lansdowne here, but I don't think any new stadium can recreate what an old one was initially - it takes time for the atmosphere to rebuild.

Would still prefer to watch a game from the North Terrace than any seating, but unfortunately FIFA stole that from us :angry:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re: Re: Wembley - souless and sanitised!

NMH said:

It does make one refelect on the old wooden seats and barriers, the crumbling concrete terraces, and bent steel barriers of The Goldstone though :down:

The weeds growing from the concrete on the East Terrace, pop-tastic! Now that was a ground with character.

:clap2: :albion: :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I thought it was IMMENSE. Great atmosphere, great all round stadium except for the prices, and the fact that whatever their insistance, there were still queues for the loo!

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Withdean Wanderer said:
I thought it was IMMENSE. Great atmosphere, great all round stadium except for the prices, and the fact that whatever their insistance, there were still queues for the loo!

And if you don't like the food prices inside, which have been pretty well publicised, don't buy anything. Get something before you go in like what I did.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hercules Rockerfeller said:
And if you don't like the food prices inside, which have been pretty well publicised, don't buy anything. Get something before you go in like what I did.

Which is what i did too - i was mearly commenting on the sign that said 'Hot Dog - £5.50':cool:

As has been said, the old car park area needs sorting, and Wembley way doesn't quite seem finished (the old toilets closed, old shops closed)...but other than a lack of bins, i don't think there's anything else to moan about.

A fantastic footballing arena:clap: :clap:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
MYOB said:
Sincerely hoping the same doesn't happen with Lansdowne here, but I don't think any new stadium can recreate what an old one was initially - it takes time for the atmosphere to rebuild.

Would still prefer to watch a game from the North Terrace than any seating, but unfortunately FIFA stole that from us :angry:

Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland,
Ireland, Ireland... :yawn:

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Withdean Wanderer said:
Which is what i did too - i was mearly commenting on the sign that said 'Hot Dog - £5.50':cool:

As has been said, the old car park area needs sorting, and Wembley way doesn't quite seem finished (the old toilets closed, old shops closed)...but other than a lack of bins, i don't think there's anything else to moan about.

A fantastic footballing arena:clap: :clap:

I totally agree. Look forward to a play off final next may.... maybe!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I loved it and will definitely be going back when I get another chance. I thought the stadium was breathtaking and the atmosphere was brilliant for a friendly.

Best ground I've ever been too (even more impressive than the Nou Camp).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I actually quite like it, it seems to have improved since the U21 match in March. Having a beer on the "sun terrace" above Wembley way before the game was quite nice.

From our side (tunnel) it look really full inside, but having seen bits on TV it is embarrassing having a mostly empty part by the tunnel - bigger own goal that the food prices for the FA IMO, although I though it was a bit cheaper than before.

One thing I am angry about is not being allowed to take your own food/drink into the ground, not even water. We didnt have any with us as had read about problem at the FA Cup final, but felt that the stewards were very worried about people bringing in water.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The saddest thing is that last night is that it was about as full as Wembley will be until they sort out the problem of debenture holders not taking up their entitlement to attend games. If you can't fill the ground for a game between England and Brazil then I don't think it will ever be full, maybe a competitive game against the likes of Germany or Scotland might have the same level of attraction, but not much else.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
Went there last Sunday for the B'pool/Yeovil game. Don't really see how you can give a huge, modern, safety-conscious stadium much atmosphere. They could sort out the beer pouring machines though, which are cunningly designed to pour six pints at a time but then have no facility for extracting the (plastic) glasses without spilling half of it.
There's a vast retail/restaurant/bar/resi etc development just about to start on the north side of the ground. When that's finished, I reckon it'll be a pretty spectacular venue.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland,
Ireland, Ireland... :yawn:

Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirls... :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here