Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wembley a Disappointment

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Proof that Brighton fans will always find something to moan about.

Wembley isn't perfect but it's still bloody brilliant.

The only issue was Man City's dreadful support and the fact semi finals should be played at neutral grounds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The only issue was Man City's dreadful support and the fact semi finals should be played at neutral grounds.

BRILLIANT?

As posted earlier we had a cracking day out but, personally, I think Fulham is a much better day out than Wembley, cheaper and with a chance of winning.

Wembley's the home of football, it's decent if you're in the right block and it still gets football loving kids open mouthed with wonder but it's also got some terrible views, no seat numbering, and is a massive rip off situated in the middle of Stab City. The day £55 becomes the cost of a decent kids' seat is the day I stop going.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BRILLIANT?

As posted earlier we had a cracking day out but, personally, I think Fulham is a much better day out than Wembley, cheaper and with a chance of winning.

Wembley's the home of football, it's decent if you're in the right block and it still gets football loving kids open mouthed with wonder but it's also got some terrible views, no seat numbering, and is a massive rip off situated in the middle of Stab City. The day £55 becomes the cost of a decent kids' seat is the day I stop going.

I reckon our semi would have been much better at the Emirates, or in the future White Hart Lane. Both are of suitable capacity and both will have been sold out, or close to sold out, and without massive gaps in the tiers or either side of the tunnel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I also thought it was brilliant. When I walked out of the concourse for the first time and gazed out at the stadium it took my breath away

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I also thought it was brilliant. When I walked out of the concourse for the first time and gazed out at the stadium it took my breath away

Completely agree. I've been to new wembely several times with England when it first opened and also Spurs away last season, but this was just another level and in a way felt like going to a stadium for the first time. Seeing it packed with Albion and the sheer noise we generated was just incredible. Will never forget that moment.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So let me start by saying I am VERY proud of our team, we played with spirit and skill and heart that makes me feel like we are getting back to our better selves.

I wanted to see if anyone else felt their Wembley experience was below parr? My 7-year-old loved every minute, this was my first trip to Wembley to see the Albion but it felt flat. Poor sinage if you came from the the Wembley Central Station, grubby feeling, dark and badly organised concourse with food that was sooooo over priced and you had to battle through past several blocks to find anything other than a hot dog. I did only pay for the cheaper seats but the fact that so much of the ground was half empty (not our fans we were top, top draw) and the middle tier was unsued meant that the atmosphere was not as good as it shoudl've been considering the amazing effort from the Albion fans. Some of this as well was playing a team of sulking "rolls royce" players a thier complacent fan base (not all but some) and WTF was the idea of playing Wonderwall afterwards?

I wanted to love it, our team made every effort to make it the best they could for us but I am left feeling like, for the first time probably, football has lost something over the last 15/20 years. Sad to say even though my little boy loved it despite the result. Some may call me miserable but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same?
Helps buying a decent seat. I enjoyed Wembley. Doesn't help playing one of the most plastic clubs ever who brought bugger all fans.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
feck me there are some miserable ******** around. It was a great day, only downside being that the City fans were a a let down. I was up in the gods were the view was fantastic. Tickets for me and the kid was £50 combined. Atmosphere outside an in the ground was brilliant. 10's of thousands of seagulls fans there for a party and to cheer the team on. If you moan about that day, then god help you if, as is always possible, the shit times come around again. Or perhaps you are just fair weather fans?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Getting an atmosphere going was like shouting into a pillow, your voice is just not heard and does not carry at all, I must have been about 7 rows away from the back of the first set of seating before the entrance and the disibility seating was. We could not hear what they were singing to any real level, which is utter madness, their were just pockets of people singing all over the place, only the acception of Albion and a couple of other big songs did we all sing together, Nobodys fault its just too big to be heard.

As for the stadium, it feels like it delivers the bare minimum of a national stadium, everything feels so cheap even though you are paying premium prices, go to a big American Stadium and they piss all over Wembley, as said, it already feels tired and it is only going to get worse.

The lack of a sell out only shows these games should be played at a neutral ground as well. As for Brighton fans mocking city for not selling out, well thats just a little laughable, this was a nothing game to them and another treck down south on mass, how many Semi's and finals have they had to play at Wembley over the last 10 years.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The lack of a sell out only shows these games should be played at a neutral ground as well.

Does it, though? The vast majority of teams other than Man City would have sold out their allocation.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
feck me there are some miserable ******** around. It was a great day, only downside being that the City fans were a a let down. I was up in the gods were the view was fantastic. Tickets for me and the kid was £50 combined. Atmosphere outside an in the ground was brilliant. 10's of thousands of seagulls fans there for a party and to cheer the team on. If you moan about that day, then god help you if, as is always possible, the shit times come around again. Or perhaps you are just fair weather fans?

As mentioned elsewhere, almost all of the aways are like that, simply spoiled by the 90 mins in between.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Getting an atmosphere going was like shouting into a pillow, your voice is just not heard and does not carry at all, I must have been about 7 rows away from the back of the first set of seating before the entrance and the disibility seating was. We could not hear what they were singing to any real level, which is utter madness, their were just pockets of people singing all over the place, only the acception of Albion and a couple of other big songs did we all sing together, Nobodys fault its just too big to be heard.

As for the stadium, it feels like it delivers the bare minimum of a national stadium, everything feels so cheap even though you are paying premium prices, go to a big American Stadium and they piss all over Wembley, as said, it already feels tired and it is only going to get worse.

The lack of a sell out only shows these games should be played at a neutral ground as well. As for Brighton fans mocking city for not selling out, well thats just a little laughable, this was a nothing game to them and another treck down south on mass, how many Semi's and finals have they had to play at Wembley over the last 10 years.

problem is Wolves and Watford managed it and the noise coming across the TV was deafening. We only managed to do that with that awful ALLLBBIIIOONNN chant.

It's more to do with the day trippers we attracted. Was thousands in there who were not that fussed and seemed a long way from working class. I imagine Wolves day trippers would of been a different demographic.

This is the problem we've always faced in leafy Sussex.

Sounded ok lower overall but not great on the box/

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
problem is Wolves and Watford managed it and the noise coming across the TV was deafening. We only managed to do that with that awful ALLLBBIIIOONNN chant.

It's more to do with the day trippers we attracted. Was thousands in there who were not that fussed and seemed a long way from working class. I imagine Wolves day trippers would of been a different demographic.

I know what you mean and undoubtedly there will have been some amongst 35,000 who came along for the day out and are not the most fanatical -that is how it works, as we can't all be loud singers etc., but where I was, I can't say I noticed too many who were seemingly not that bothered. There have been threads to do with the fact that leafy Sussex is not an industrial heartland and thus far too middle class for football in the past, but I do also think of some matches at the Amex -and much further back - when the crowd has been as loud as anything other club's fans can come come up with -Sheff wed playoff / Burnley with 9 men immediately spring to mind, and I am sure that most on here could come with other occasions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Watford and Wolves went at each other hammer and tong and played out an absolute thriller. Both sets of fans were immersed in an intriguing contest where they both knew they had a real chance of making the Final, the goals were flying in, so its no surprise that atmosphere for that game sounded great.

In contrast, our game was pretty much a non-event. City fans turned up knowing victory was all but assured, whilst we were subdued by that early goal. Other than a decent-ish little spell just after half time, we really didn't trouble them. Its very hard to make a noise and get wrapped up in the game when the team spend 90% of it firmly on the back foot in our own half - what was there to cheer about ?

Had we been drawn against Watford or Wolves then there would have been 10x the atmosphere. As it was, we knew we were going to get beat it was just a question of how many, and they knew they were going to win, hence the occasion falling quite flat. I still enjoyed it, but I really regret us getting City in that semi. I'd have felt FAR more up for it had it been either of the other two, as I suspect most of our fans would have been.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Watford and Wolves went at each other hammer and tong and played out an absolute thriller. Both sets of fans were immersed in an intriguing contest where they both knew they had a real chance of making the Final, the goals were flying in, so its no surprise that atmosphere for that game sounded great.

In contrast, our game was pretty much a non-event. City fans turned up knowing victory was all but assured, whilst we were subdued by that early goal. Other than a decent-ish little spell just after half time, we really didn't trouble them. Its very hard to make a noise and get wrapped up in the game when the team spend 90% of it firmly on the back foot in our own half - what was there to cheer about ?

Had we been drawn against Watford or Wolves then there would have been 10x the atmosphere. As it was, we knew we were going to get beat it was just a question of how many, and they knew they were going to win, hence the occasion falling quite flat. I still enjoyed it, but I really regret us getting City in that semi. I'd have felt FAR more up for it had it been either of the other two, as I suspect most of our fans would have been.

This, a lot of tourists there. Most of the people around me couldn't be arsed even though I was cheerleading and telling them to get behind the team. It made no difference. It was a good performance but for any neutral a complete non event I would think. One day we may have belief we can actually beat one of these top sides and play from the start accordingly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here