[Albion] Wembley a Disappointment

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
City fan in peace here -

First of all, after reading this thread and the "who do you want to win the league?" thread, I apologise if our fans came across as entitled, arrogant or antagonistic, for a lot of us walking back down Wembley Way after the game we had probably left our houses at 7am and been drinking for many hours, myself since 10am. For every City fan singing "you've had your day out now f*ck off home" I'm sure there were Brighton fans singing about being "Dirty Northern ********" or asking where we were when we weren't so good etc. - it's football fans singing at the end of the day, don't take it to heart or think our entire fan base as forgotten where we've come from.

As quite a few of you have mentioned on here Wembley is not a great stadium to attend, everything is dead expensive, the pubs near the ground and the atmosphere in the ground are crap. If you'd played there 6 weeks earlier and were making your 13th appearance in 8 years there you might think to not bother as well.

I was there on Saturday, I went to Fulham away last week, I'm off to Spurs tomorrow and off to your mates Palace on Sunday - I know a lot who didn't bother on Saturday because they had booked trains for the London league games before we knew we were in the final, and whether we get there or not, we have to budget for a trip to Madrid in June with the cheapest ticket for the final being £80.

Anyway, just wanted to say I wish you all the best for the rest of the season, your manager is a top bloke and I was at our game at the start of last season and loved my day/night out and hope I can share beers with your supporters next month as we'll celebrate you guys staying up and potentially us retaining the title.

Top post, thanks mate :thumbsup:

We were staying in Harrow which was full of City. I mentioned it on another thread but the lads we met were a good laugh and we managed to have a pint and banter with them. Imagine that eh? You’d think from some posts on both sides that was impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a positive, my son who’d never been to Wembley before, was impressed with the stadium. Loved the sheer size of the place, with 90,000 seats.

Perhaps we’re spoilt with later built Amex, brilliantly designed by KSS and Martin Perry?

Jan 30, 2008
So let me start by saying I am VERY proud of our team, we played with spirit and skill and heart that makes me feel like we are getting back to our better selves.

I wanted to see if anyone else felt their Wembley experience was below parr? My 7-year-old loved every minute, this was my first trip to Wembley to see the Albion but it felt flat. Poor sinage if you came from the the Wembley Central Station, grubby feeling, dark and badly organised concourse with food that was sooooo over priced and you had to battle through past several blocks to find anything other than a hot dog. I did only pay for the cheaper seats but the fact that so much of the ground was half empty (not our fans we were top, top draw) and the middle tier was unsued meant that the atmosphere was not as good as it shoudl've been considering the amazing effort from the Albion fans. Some of this as well was playing a team of sulking "rolls royce" players a thier complacent fan base (not all but some) and WTF was the idea of playing Wonderwall afterwards?

I wanted to love it, our team made every effort to make it the best they could for us but I am left feeling like, for the first time probably, football has lost something over the last 15/20 years. Sad to say even though my little boy loved it despite the result. Some may call me miserable but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same?
Spot on , you're not the only one to feel this way, football as a spectator sport is dying a death, people like Barber are helping it on its way into the grave
regards
DR

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought it was a big white elephant. The stadium was a bit of a mess really and we needed oxygen by the time we got to the seats. Not overly impressed

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I went to the old stadium on a few occasions. I saw England v Yugoslavia as a 16 year old and the Rolling Stones twice. I just remember it being a coliseum that sat on a hill dominating its surroundings. I saw the Foo fighters play the new stadium 12 years ago but don’t remember the high rise buildings that now surround it. Still had a good day but it’s not the Mecca it once was.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
City fan in peace here -

First of all, after reading this thread and the "who do you want to win the league?" thread, I apologise if our fans came across as entitled, arrogant or antagonistic, for a lot of us walking back down Wembley Way after the game we had probably left our houses at 7am and been drinking for many hours, myself since 10am. For every City fan singing "you've had your day out now f*ck off home" I'm sure there were Brighton fans singing about being "Dirty Northern ********" or asking where we were when we weren't so good etc. - it's football fans singing at the end of the day, don't take it to heart or think our entire fan base as forgotten where we've come from.

As quite a few of you have mentioned on here Wembley is not a great stadium to attend, everything is dead expensive, the pubs near the ground and the atmosphere in the ground are crap. If you'd played there 6 weeks earlier and were making your 13th appearance in 8 years there you might think to not bother as well.

I was there on Saturday, I went to Fulham away last week, I'm off to Spurs tomorrow and off to your mates Palace on Sunday - I know a lot who didn't bother on Saturday because they had booked trains for the London league games before we knew we were in the final, and whether we get there or not, we have to budget for a trip to Madrid in June with the cheapest ticket for the final being £80.

Anyway, just wanted to say I wish you all the best for the rest of the season, your manager is a top bloke and I was at our game at the start of last season and loved my day/night out and hope I can share beers with your supporters next month as we'll celebrate you guys staying up and potentially us retaining the title.

Can't really argue with any of that to be fair.

I guess for us quite a few feel it was just a shame that our first trip to Wembley was against a team for whom it was more or less just another game (that we also had so little chance of winning). I was a bit jealous I must admit when I watched the wolves Watford game with both sets of fans hugely up for it and both teams pretty evenly matched. It made for a cracking atmosphere and spectacle in the build up to as well as from ko.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It will never beat the old Wembley with its twin towers.

You ARE kidding me, right? I used to watch the dog racing there in 1980. Christ, what an absolute dump. And I used to go to Sunday market there in the car park. Cracking schmutter. You'll be harping on about how we will never replace Alan Gilliver and Kenny Beamish, next :facepalm::shootself:wrong:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thought the stadium itself was fine in a sub-Amex sort of way. The immediate vicinity, on the other hand, must be in the running for some sort of Architectually Ugly award. Jeez! Almost CROYDONESQUE in its ugliness.

I was shocked by that having been a regular attendee back in the day. All those buildings....it was like Bladerunner. I quite liked it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thought the stadium itself was fine in a sub-Amex sort of way. The immediate vicinity, on the other hand, must be in the running for some sort of Architectually Ugly award. Jeez! Almost CROYDONESQUE in its ugliness.

It's very odd.

The white elephant/cash cow (pick your own animal) has been there for 12 years.
The building process was what another 5 years?

Yet the entire place is still one big building site bolted onto somewhere seemingly quite grotty.

I've not been to the Olympic Stadium but I remember the uproar about what looked like Strafford's answer to Teville Gate, biting the bullet.

For Wembley Stadium to do itself justice as the 'home of football' (or whatever bollox they refer to it as) the construction cost should have been £800 billion.

Do it once, do it properly or don't do it at all.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Every article I read about the game says how awful we were and the game is better forgotten.
Maybe I was watching another game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wembley has never appealed and I didn't go (obv a final would have been a different proposition) In a similar vain, the play off final in Cardiff I didn't enjoy the ground, and one of the worst games of football I can recall enduring! It's not just capacity, stadia need atmosphere, and therefore a broad array of input at the design stage. In the same way Herman Tilke hasn't designed a racing circuit even as good as the pit entry lane at Spa!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was just another away game really.

Wembley not the best, but there are far worse 'big' stadiums out there that really need updating (Man U, Chelsea etc).

Now back to the business of survival...….

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was just another away game really.

Wembley not the best, but there are far worse 'big' stadiums out there that really need updating (Man U, Chelsea etc).

Now back to the business of survival...….

Neither of which have had £800m spent on them.

Name another ground that has cost a similar figure to that of Wembley and is equally as poor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here